PDA

View Full Version : Second Hand Lenses

jonesy
3rd July 2009, 08:33 PM
Hi All

Can anyone help me please. Roughly, how much would be the going price for a second hand 11-22 f2.8 Oly lens.

I'm currently looking around for one, having been persuaded that its better to have the couple of extra f-stops than a couple of extra mm.

I've seen a few of these lenses around, but I want to make sure I dont end up paying too much.

Many thanks

250swb
3rd July 2009, 08:53 PM
Average the price of the ones you have seen already.

Steve

theMusicMan
3rd July 2009, 10:00 PM
Hi All

Can anyone help me please. Roughly, how much would be the going price for a second hand 11-22 f2.8 Oly lens.

I'm currently looking around for one, having been persuaded that its better to have the couple of extra f-stops than a couple of extra mm.

I've seen a few of these lenses around, but I want to make sure I dont end up paying too much.

Many thanks
Good that you're looking around for the 11-22mm lens as it is a super piece of glass. However, please don't dismiss the 9-18mm as this too is a superb lens. I was kindly loaned the lens by a good friend off here a few weeks ago and I found it excellent and even though I have the 11-22mm, I now know what my next lens purchase will be (unless I win a small amount on the lotto tomorrow when I would then - without a shadow of a doubt - buy the absolutely stunning, awesome kit that is... the Oly 7-14mm)

jonesy
3rd July 2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks for your reply MusicMan.
I have been going over this time and time again in my head. Part of me wants to go as wide as I can (within a reasonable budget), but the other part of me wants a quality lens I can grow into. I've been going back and forth between the 9-18 and the 11-22 for the past month now, and I've heard and read so much good stuff about the 11-22, but very little (good or bad) about the 9-18.

So am I heading down the wrong route?

Many thanks

theMusicMan
3rd July 2009, 10:44 PM
So am I heading down the wrong route?

Many thanks
No probs at all Tracey, glad to help.

It's really up to you. I can advise though that both the 11-22mm and 9-18mm are wonderful lenses. If you're interested I am happy to dig out a few pics taken with each lens and offer them here for your comparison.

When I used the 9-18mm I noticed no significant distortion at all, and I was seriously impressed with the glass, and I mean... seriously impressed.

The 11-22mm is one of Oly's mid-range series of lenses and so one can expect it to perform at a higher level - I love the 11-22mm, but I love the 7-14mm a lot more.

I'd suggest making a decision based on what it is you want to take shots of. Personally... if it is 'the wider the better', then the 9-18mm will be your choice, if it is a faster lens, then the 11-22mm is your choice. My personal opinion is (and others far more qualified that I on here can correct me if I am wrong) that the faster lens doesn't give you as much advantage as the extra mm on field of view, as one tends to use wides for wide stuff and as such - close focusing, or low light apertures are not usually the arena for such lenses. If you want to take low light shots with a wide angle, then simply use a tripod. The only other benefit of faster glass is depth of field, of which is significantly huge on wider lenses anyway.

Having said that, the 11-22mm is quality glass.

Hmmmm.... don't think I've made it any easier for you have I...? if you would like to see some comparison shots, shout.

Archphoto
3rd July 2009, 10:54 PM
It greatly depends of what you are planning to photograph with either of them.
If it is landscapes and architecture: get the 9-18mm
If you need the low light capability: get the 11-22mm

The 11-22mm is older than the 9-18mm.
I got my 11-22mm when the 9-18mm was not available and the 7-14mm was too expensive for me.
I have seen great results of the 9-18mm: tack sharp, good contrast.
Those 2mm make a diference in wide.....
The 9-18mm is smaller and lighter than the 11-22mm.

New prices in Holland: 9-18mm 450,- 11-22mm 670,-

The used 11-22mm on sale are by people that either bought the 7-14mm or the 9-18mm ...............

Give your self some time to reconsider.

By the way, I ended up with the set 7-14mm, 11-22mm and the 14-42mm kitlens.

Peter

crimbo
4th July 2009, 07:30 AM
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P6270068_2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/16254)

hand held, 11mm, f2.8, ISO 1600
if you want to do stuff like that then the 11-22 works nicely

jonesy
4th July 2009, 07:58 AM
MusicMan,
I'd love to see some comparison shots please.

My main aim with this is to do landscapes and photos like the one I have attached/linked (taken with my 17-45 kit lens, which is nowhere near wide enough to capture the whole building) Flying Horse Pub (http://www.travelthrutime.com/photo.php?id=299)

Of course there will be the occasional sunset, but like I say, theres been way too many times that I've not had enough "wide" to take the shot I want.

Also, we are hoping to take a trip to New York later this year, and I want to make sure I have the lenses so I can photograph "everything" :)

Wreckdiver
4th July 2009, 09:04 AM
Here is a shot I took at Stourhead gardens using the E-1 and the 11-22mm lens (at 17mm):

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/508/Autumn_colours.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1532)

Steve

crimbo
4th July 2009, 10:20 AM
Wide
the 11-22 has a 90 degree field of view at the 11mm end.
it appears very well corrected so that if you keep it level you do not have to do any perspective changes in PP

One thought: do you have an Oly dealer you can get to? If so go and try them out

jonesy
4th July 2009, 10:32 AM
Hi Chrimbo

We have 2 "local" camera stores, but both lenses are special order through them, which is why I'd love to see some comparision shots from the people here :) (That and everyone here is a much better photographer than I am :( )

crimbo
4th July 2009, 11:33 AM
http://www.paddle.shetland.co.uk/P5160380.jpg

wide enough?

Archphoto
4th July 2009, 01:11 PM
Jonesy here are 3 shots, all taken with my 7-14mm that show you the diference between the 7-14mm, the 9-18mm and the 11-22mm.
The building to the left is the reference point and the right side shows you how far the angle will go.

The 9-18mm will give you these results, the 11-22mm (that I have) too.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/7mm.jpg

at 7mm

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/9mm.jpg

at 9mm

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/11mm.jpg

at 11mm

I hope this helps a bit.

Peter

jonesy
4th July 2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the samples Archphoto. Seems like that 2mm can make a big difference. Now this doesnt make my choice any easier to make... Looks like I'm going to have to think about this some more.

kuvvy
4th July 2009, 08:23 PM
Tracey, the 11-22mm lens is very good and is the only zoom I own, not being a long lens user and having sold my kit lenses. My daughter gets married in two weeks time and it will be the 11-22 lens I'll be using for my personal shots. I used to be a wedding photographer some years back and used medium format back then, but I'm more than happy to use the 11-22 as I know the shots will be upto scratch.
That said, there is a possibility that mine will be up for sale afterwards as I tend to shoot more with my rangefinder cameras and I'm considering going over to them completely.

jonesy
13th July 2009, 08:40 PM
Well, I've "bitten the bullet" and ordered myself a 9-18 lens. Its supposed to arrive in approx 5 days.... :)

mike_j
14th July 2009, 08:17 AM
What other lenses do you have?

If you only have the kit lens have you considered the 12-60mm? Nearly as wide as the 11-22mm and excellent quality all through the range so a much more adaptable lens that the 11-22mm

Archphoto
14th July 2009, 11:36 AM
Sounds great, Jonesy, Congrad's.
You will love the wide's....

Peter

StephenL
14th July 2009, 12:32 PM
Till you start to lust after the 7-14 :eek:

Sounds great, Jonesy, Congrad's.
You will love the wide's....

Peter

theMusicMan
14th July 2009, 12:45 PM
Yup, have to agree with Stephen... the 7-14mm is certainly a 'lust after' lens. Having said that the 9-18mm is awesome too, especially at 1/4 the price of the 7-14mm.

My next purchase will be the 9-18mm. Good luck with it and do show us some shots yeah.

jonesy
14th July 2009, 03:09 PM
Till you start to lust after the 7-14 :eek:

:) That one's my "lottery prize" :D

jonesy
14th July 2009, 03:11 PM
Yup, have to agree with Stephen... the 7-14mm is certainly a 'lust after' lens. Having said that the 9-18mm is awesome too, especially at 1/4 the price of the 7-14mm.

My next purchase will be the 9-18mm. Good luck with it and do show us some shots yeah.

I'm hoping I dont let the lens down too much :)
But there will be plenty of opportunity for me to use it, and practice makes you better doesnt it :)

jonesy
14th July 2009, 03:16 PM
What other lenses do you have?

If you only have the kit lens have you considered the 12-60mm? Nearly as wide as the 11-22mm and excellent quality all through the range so a much more adaptable lens that the 11-22mm

This lens will be my third one.... the only one I chose. I have a 17.5 - 45 that came with the camera, and a 40-150 that was bought for me last summer. We go to visit New York soon, and I'm keeping my eye out for a 14-54 or at least a good quality lens that will replace my short lens. Who knows, I might pick up a bargain at the duty free shop :cool:

jonesy
15th July 2009, 06:18 PM
Well that was quick! The lens was delivered whilst I was at work today. I can hardly wait until the weekend to give it a good test... now to order the filters for it :)

It seems a very good "bargain" less than 400 including postage, with a full one year guarantee... cheapest UK one I'd seen, so no import duty to pay.