PDA

View Full Version : which filter do i buy?

SkinHead
2nd July 2009, 12:47 PM
Hi all
I am thinking of buying a set of rectangular ND filters for my ZD 14-54mm. Which type do i buy, the P-type or A? Premier-ink.co.uk is selling a starter(?) set for ~40.

http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/photographic/square-filters/p-type/kood-ptype-filter-kit-67mm-p-1252.html.

are they good value for money? this is just a hobby for me. any suggestions would be most welcome
Thanks
Jude

Ian
2nd July 2009, 12:57 PM
Hi all
I am thinking of buying a set of rectangular ND filters for my ZD 14-54mm. Which type do i buy, the P-type or A? Premier-ink.co.uk is selling a starter(?) set for ~40.

http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/photographic/square-filters/p-type/kood-ptype-filter-kit-67mm-p-1252.html.

are they good value for money? this is just a hobby for me. any suggestions would be most welcome
Thanks
Jude

Do you mean ND graduated filters (to darken the sky, for example, without affecting the lower areas of the frame)?

If you just mean to darken the whole frame, a circular polariser might be a good alternative.

Ian

EH1
2nd July 2009, 03:21 PM
I just had a quick look at that set, & would say that it does seem to be good value! as it has both the nd`s & the nd graduates*yes The only other one you might want to add is the circular polariser;)

Ian
2nd July 2009, 04:17 PM
There is a discrepancy on that page you should be aware of. They advertise the filters as P-type, but state that they are only 67mm wide. P-types are 84mm. 67mm filters are 'A' type. A types are too narrow for many lenses today, so I'd definitely make sure they are proper P-types with 84mm wide filters.

Ian

Archphoto
2nd July 2009, 04:56 PM
It still would be a good set if you want to use these filters in the Oly Standard lenses only, that have 58mm filters.
The 11-22mm has allready 72mm filters, so be aware.

As for circular pol's: I have a cheap one that I bought on ebay arriving here in Brazil by the end of next week (Hong Kong > Holland > Brazil) so if you can wait with that one, I will get back at this subject as soon as I have done some testing.
I allso have a set of close-up lenses comming to me for testing, more about that later.

Peter

yorky
3rd July 2009, 11:37 AM
It still would be a good set if you want to use these filters in the Oly Standard lenses only, that have 58mm filters.
The 11-22mm has allready 72mm filters, so be aware.

As for circular pol's: I have a cheap one that I bought on ebay arriving here in Brazil by the end of next week (Hong Kong > Holland > Brazil) so if you can wait with that one, I will get back at this subject as soon as I have done some testing.
I allso have a set of close-up lenses comming to me for testing, more about that later.

Peter

My 2 penerth on this subject would be to go for the larger zp fitting filters which are large enough to cover any lens, Kood or Cokin or a good option is to look at www.srb-griturn.com who supply most makes and are a good firm to deal with

Ian
3rd July 2009, 12:10 PM
The P-type Cokins I have with the wide angle holder work fine on the 77mm filter thread of the 14-35, with no vignetting at 14mm. That's a lens with a big filter thread :D

Ian

Ken Lister
3rd July 2009, 02:28 PM
Hi all

Thanks
Jude

I use Kood 'P' filters from Premier Ink and find them fine, as well as being cheaper than Cokin. OK the filter holder is not as well made as Cokin, but is more than sufficient for the task. No sign of vignetting on my Sigma 10-20 (77mm mount)

yorky
3rd July 2009, 03:26 PM
The answer is by the cokin mount and use the filters of any that are suitable.

SkinHead
6th July 2009, 12:52 AM
Thank you for all your replies. however, it has made me all the more confused:confused:
i thought CPLs are intended to cut down the reflection esp on water surfaces or glass panels;
on the other hand, according to my limited knowledge Grad NDs or NDs for that matter are used to cut down the intensity of light(in the case of sunset or sunrise shots) while retaining the quality of colour of any scene.
but now basing from the replies, it would seem that they have the same function. if thats the case, i might just as well get the CPL to save on cost.
i am still keen on the set of NDs, and reading from the replies, am i right in going for the P-type filter holder and getting a 67mm adapter filter ring?
thanks
jude

Archphoto
6th July 2009, 01:14 AM
Back to basic's:

ND: used for reducing the light to the entire picture, comes in handy with studio flash

Grad ND: used to darken the sky, esp on not too bright blue sky day's
.............some like to use "tabacco" ND grads for more "atmosphere" in sunsets

CPL: to cut down reflexions of metals, glass and even glossy paint
........can allso be used to darken a blue sky for more impact
........it leaves the white clouds untoutched

Peter

Ken Lister
6th July 2009, 10:00 AM
Thank you for all your replies. however, it has made me all the more confused:confused:
i thought CPLs are intended to cut down the reflection esp on water surfaces or glass panels;
on the other hand, according to my limited knowledge Grad NDs or NDs for that matter are used to cut down the intensity of light(in the case of sunset or sunrise shots) while retaining the quality of colour of any scene.
but now basing from the replies, it would seem that they have the same function. if thats the case, i might just as well get the CPL to save on cost.
i am still keen on the set of NDs, and reading from the replies, am i right in going for the P-type filter holder and getting a 67mm adapter filter ring?
thanks
jude

Archphoto's info is correct. They all serve different purposes. The set offered by Premierink is good value for money and a CPL - also available in`P` size from Premierink, will cost an extra 25. You can use a CPL and grad together if needed.

HughofBardfield
7th July 2009, 01:59 PM
P-type filters are fine with the 14-54, but if you plan on wider lenses one day (like the 11-22), the filter holder will cause vignetting at the wide end. Cokin do a "wide" filter holder, or you can simply saw off the two outermost (furtherest from the front element) slots from a cheap holder to prevent this. PL filters can also cause banding (caused by variable angles of polarisation) with the wider lenses.

I think Kood filters are excellent VFM - I have several and there is little difference to Cokin. The kit looks good value. The only thing against them is that - in common with Cokin ND grads - they can introduce a slight magenta colour cast. This was unnoticable (to me, at least) on the E500 and E510, but quite visible on the E1, presumably because of the different sensor. Hi-Tech filters (see http://www.teamworkphoto.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=78_767_277 ) are more expensive, but seem to be free of any colour issues.

StephenL
7th July 2009, 02:52 PM
I second Hugh's recommendation of Hi-Tech filters - great quality.

SkinHead
7th July 2009, 10:40 PM
thank you once again for all your input, i now know which piece of kit to buy. have a nice day everyone!