PDA

View Full Version : Retired people

art frames
13th January 2008, 11:04 AM
Working people frequently ask retired people what they do to make their days interesting.

Well, for example, the other day my wife and I went to Taunton and went into a shop. We were only in there for about 5 minutes. When we came out, there was a PCSO writing out a parking ticket. We went up to him and said, 'Come on man, how about giving a senior citizen a break?' He ignored us and continued writing the ticket. I called him a ****. He glared at me and started writing another ticket for having worn tyres.

So my wife called him a *****. He finished the second ticket and put it on the windshield with the first. Then he started writing a third ticket. This went on for about 20 minutes. The more we abused him, the more tickets he wrote.

Personally, we didn't care. We came into town by bus.

We try to have a little fun each day now that we're retired. It's important at our age. ;)

OlyFlyer
13th January 2008, 11:40 AM
Working people frequently ask retired people what they do to make their days interesting.

Well, for example, the other day my wife and I went to Taunton and went into a shop. We were only in there for about 5 minutes. When we came out, there was a PCSO writing out a parking ticket. We went up to him and said, 'Come on man, how about giving a senior citizen a break?' He ignored us and continued writing the ticket. I called him a Nazi turd. He glared at me and started writing another ticket for having worn tyres.

So my wife called him a shithead. He finished the second ticket and put it on the windshield with the first. Then he started writing a third ticket. This went on for about 20 minutes. The more we abused him, the more tickets he wrote.

Personally, we didn't care. We came into town by bus.

We try to have a little fun each day now that we're retired. It's important at our age. ;) Sorry, if you have been living in Sweden you would rightfully end up in court. Try to find other things to pass your time with, because if that is really what happend, I would be ashamed to go public about it if I were you, which of course, I am not. Maybe you think it would be nice if people called you Nazi and a shithead, but most people don't appreciate that.

The PSCO was just doing his job, the patience he was showing is amazing, just like the inmaturity you demonstrated.

You must have a boring life, I feel sorry for you.

theMusicMan
13th January 2008, 11:49 AM
Hi Olyflyer - I am sure Peter was joking in this post... :)

Jim Ford
13th January 2008, 11:57 AM
Makes it even funnier that Olyflyer thought Peter was serious!
(He wasn't was he - was he?)

Jim

Paulpp
13th January 2008, 12:07 PM
Whether serious or a joke, the use of "Nazi" can be very offensive.

Jim Ford
13th January 2008, 12:08 PM
Whilst we're on the subject of Swedes and humour, I'm reminded of a 'Not The Nine O'Clock News' sketch years ago:

The sketch needs to be imagined with the players having a stereotypical Swedish accent!

Scene: Swedish Chemist Shop.
Chemist: Mel Smith
Customer: Rowan Atkinson

Customer: 'I would like a deodorant please.'

Chemist: 'Certainly Sir - ball or aerosol?'

Customer: 'Neither - I would like it for my armpits!'

Jim

art frames
13th January 2008, 12:41 PM
Sorry, if you have been living in Sweden you would rightfully end up in court. Try to find other things to pass your time with, because if that is really what happend, I would be ashamed to go public about it if I were you, which of course, I am not. Maybe you think it would be nice if people called you Nazi and a shithead, but most people don't appreciate that.

The PSCO was just doing his job, the patience he was showing is amazing, just like the inmaturity you demonstrated.

You must have a boring life, I feel sorry for you.

Each day I receive several jokes by email. Most I edit to remove anything that people could be offended by. I am sorry to have missed that reference to Nazis, I will try harder. You will note several of us post jokes here they are usually the same ones that circulate around.

I am not retired. Don't live in Taunton and have a car. It wasn't true - But whatever.

More importantly I tend also not to blast people on the internet when I don't understand what is happening. Which if you would care to have a look at my posts on this site you would know.

shenstone
13th January 2008, 12:55 PM
Ian

I was initially very surprised and offended when I read the 1st post, but did realise that it was a joke

I think the points have been made and learnings taken on board re those who generally entertain us, and suggest that this whole thread is removed - it's not the tone we want in this forum

Regards
Andy

PeterD
13th January 2008, 12:58 PM
Each day I receive several jokes by email. Most I edit to remove anything that people could be offended by. I am sorry to have missed that reference to Nazis, I will try harder. You will note several of us post jokes here they are usually the same ones that circulate around.

I am not retired. Don't live in Taunton and have a car. It wasn't true - But whatever.

More importantly I tend also not to blast people on the internet when I don't understand what is happening. Which if you would care to have a look at my posts on this site you would know.

Its Ok Peter

Even I (who is retired) recognised the similarity with the couple stopped for speeding in another Joke thread. I liked it though:D

PeterD

Ian
13th January 2008, 01:25 PM
Hey guys, I think we need to be a bit more careful here. If the humour gets to the point that it starts to generate some bad feeling, then it probably isn't very good humour to start with. At the same time, let's try not to take 'joke' threads too seriously and let's all find a balance.

Thanks,

Ian

Jim Ford
13th January 2008, 02:22 PM
Its Ok Peter
Even I (who is retired) recognised the similarity with the couple stopped for speeding in another Joke thread. I liked it though:D
PeterD

I, who should be retired, also liked it. But I liked it even better that some folk imagined it _really_ happened!

Jim

PeterD
13th January 2008, 02:28 PM
Hey guys, I think we need to be a bit more careful here. If the humour gets to the point that it starts to generate some bad feeling, then it probably isn't very good humour to start with. At the same time, let's try not to take 'joke' threads too seriously and let's all find a balance.

Thanks,

Ian

I hope I gave no offence to anyone with my posting on this thread. If I did I apologise.

PeterD

BigD
13th January 2008, 06:59 PM
i thought to myself it coudlnt be true, then looking at peters location new it was a joke :D and quite a good one, it sounds more like a sketch from a show like harry endfield and chums .

OlyFlyer
13th January 2008, 07:35 PM
Whilst we're on the subject of Swedes and humour, I'm reminded of a 'Not The Nine O'Clock News' sketch years ago:

The sketch needs to be imagined with the players having a stereotypical Swedish accent!

Scene: Swedish Chemist Shop.
Chemist: Mel Smith
Customer: Rowan Atkinson

Customer: 'I would like a deodorant please.'

Chemist: 'Certainly Sir - ball or aerosol?'

Customer: 'Neither - I would like it for my armpits!'

JimJim,

Just some clarifications. I don't mind jokes, I love comedy. I have absolutely nothing agains ANY language, as long as it is clear what it is about.

If I go really long way back, in fact as long as I remember, I always liked Rowan Atkinson, not only in the series 'Not The Nine O'Clock News'. I also like (in fact one of my favourites) John Cleese, I can't list here all the films I have seen with him, several of them several times. I also like the series 'The Office' and the 'Keeping up apperances'. At the begining of 80's, the Swedish TV showed and American comedy series called 'The Muppet show', about a frog, Gormit and his world. In that, my favorite ones were the two old man (don't remember what they were called, AND the Swedish cook, doing the Swedish accent much better. Way better than in the scetch above.

I think you missed my point.

EDIT:

I am not representing Sweden, or the Swedish way of seeing things. I am representing myself as an individual. If I happen to be a Swedish citizen, that has nothing to do with it at all. I assume you understand that.

OlyFlyer
13th January 2008, 08:00 PM

More importantly I tend also not to blast people on the internet when I don't understand what is happening. Which if you would care to have a look at my posts on this site you would know. How should I know you are not retired? Anyway, if you live in Taunton or not has nothing to do with it, you don't say you do, or did I miss something?

You say "the other day my wife and I went to Taunton and went into a shop"

Fact is, I don't even know if Taunton exists, or just fictional. Of course, I could look it up, but why bother? That's not the point here. Just like your comment about you have a car, well I have two cars and I still take the bus occasionally.

What you posted here was nothing but a bad joke. You should have not edited the words 'Nazi turd' and 'shithead', you should have removed the whote thread, because it is garbage, not a joke. I don't care if you call me a dull, dumb, boring Swede or whatever, this thread is just junk, not joke. Why? Because a joke does not start with "the other day my wife and I went to Taunton and went into a shop" unless you actually did that. As soon as you start to write in first term it says you actually did that. Now, I assume if I was not posting that answer, you could even wear the glory that you actually created that 'funny' situation with that 'awfully good' practical joke. Yes, in a movie that is an awfully good sketch, but not if you say "the other day my wife and I went to Taunton and went into a shop".

You say "More importantly I tend also not to blast people on the internet when I don't understand what is happening." Well, OK I apologize, sice it seems you think I did something wrong, not realizing, and most importantly, not appreciating your sense of humor. I promis I will not do it again.

PeterD
13th January 2008, 08:06 PM
Jim,

Just some clarifications. I don't mind jokes, I love comedy. I have absolutely nothing agains ANY language, as long as it is clear what it is about.

If I go really long way back, in fact as long as I remember, I always liked Rowan Atkinson, not only in the series 'Not The Nine O'Clock News'. I also like (in fact one of my favourites) John Cleese, I can't list here all the films I have seen with him, several of them several times. I also like the series 'The Office' and the 'Keeping up apperances'. At the begining of 80's, the Swedish TV showed and American comedy series called 'The Muppet show', about a frog, Gormit and his world. In that, my favorite ones were the two old man (don't remember what they were called, AND the Swedish cook, doing the Swedish accent much better. Way better than in the scetch above.

I think you missed my point.

Olyflyer,

I agree with you there have been some classic comic sketches and I too have enjoyed the ones you mention above. I have always been dissappointed when John Cleese stopped Fawlty Towers. The scripts were superb and I still watch the repeats whenever they are ut on the TV.
John Cleese also played in business training films and the comedy in them made you remember the points that were being put across. A magic combination.

Kind regards

PeterD

Barr1e
13th January 2008, 10:18 PM
Benny Hill, Ken Dodd, George Formby, Max Miller and Ronnie Barker - such great characters of innuendo.

I must say they made me chuckle (burst a seam or two) just like many of the jokes posted here.

Having said that I wonder, as another has suggested, if we should drop it altogether - what do you think?

Regards. Barr1e

BigD
13th January 2008, 10:21 PM
we cant not have jokes here, every forum has them, they brighten up an otherwise dull day, but as with all things forum based, the point can get lost in reading.

jokes are what you make them, some funny some not .

shenstone
13th January 2008, 10:29 PM
Having said that I wonder, as another has suggested, if we should drop it altogether - what do you think?

Regards. Barr1e

The thread - yes it's caused unintended offence (this will be my last post in this thread wherever it goes).

Jokes as a concept - no they mainly make be groan, but even that's good for the stomach muscles and mine need a good workout as they have too much to hold in place (especially at this time of year!)

Regards
Andy

art frames
13th January 2008, 10:37 PM
How should I know you are not retired? Anyway, if you live in Taunton or not has nothing to do with it, you don't say you do, or did I miss something?

You say "the other day my wife and I went to Taunton and went into a shop"

Fact is, I don't even know if Taunton exists, or just fictional. Of course, I could look it up, but why bother? That's not the point here. Just like your comment about you have a car, well I have two cars and I still take the bus occasionally.

What you posted here was nothing but a bad joke. You should have not edited the words 'Nazi turd' and 'shithead', you should have removed the whote thread, because it is garbage, not a joke. I don't care if you call me a dull, dumb, boring Swede or whatever, this thread is just junk, not joke. Why? Because a joke does not start with "the other day my wife and I went to Taunton and went into a shop" unless you actually did that. As soon as you start to write in first term it says you actually did that. Now, I assume if I was not posting that answer, you could even wear the glory that you actually created that 'funny' situation with that 'awfully good' practical joke. Yes, in a movie that is an awfully good sketch, but not if you say "the other day my wife and I went to Taunton and went into a shop".

You say "More importantly I tend also not to blast people on the internet when I don't understand what is happening." Well, OK I apologize, sice it seems you think I did something wrong, not realizing, and most importantly, not appreciating your sense of humor. I promis I will not do it again.

As I said earlier I made a mistake.

I posted a joke that I didn't write. I have posted several. It is posted widely on the Internet and was sent to me by a good friend. I fully accepted that it wasn't liked and tried to put it right.

I don't have the ability to remove it - I did try but I cannot. So I attempted to remove the words and re-title the thread to stop people being offended.

Maybe you did not read Ian's wise counsel. I am sure he could remove it but chose to offer clear advice which I felt was apt.

The thing that I have liked about this board is the generous and polite way that people behave and talk to one another it isn't like a lot of others. I certainly haven't called you any names at any stage.

I am sad that you did not accept what I said in the way that I meant it and even felt the need to repeat it again after I had removed the words.

So perhaps now you will allow it to rest.

Peter

Bill Gordon
14th January 2008, 02:35 PM
Har, har, har .... I thought they were both good jokes but liked the Swedish one better!!

Ian
14th January 2008, 02:56 PM
Deleting stuff from a thread is a last report in my book. I think everyone has made their points here, some of us will have to agree to disagree and so I'm closing this thread to further posts.

Ian