PDA

View Full Version : Repair turnaround - Dealer vs Olympus

jdal
30th June 2009, 03:32 PM
I've sent my E-3 back for focus issues 3 times now. The first two I sent it back via Park Cameras, and suffered a 5/6 week turnaround. I was told that Oly had a backlog. Then I noticed someone had sent a cam back to Olympus directly and had a 2 week turnaround, so the last time I sent it directly back to Olympus. The E-3 was returned in less than 2 weeks.

I'm not really having a dig at Park Cameras, I'm posting this so that maybe it'll help others decide what to do if their camera has to go back for warranty work.

Dick Bowman
30th June 2009, 04:09 PM
There may be busy/quiet periods, which would probably affect turnaround times.

Legally, I believe that it is the retailer who is responsible for warranty issues (some manufacturers of some goods would turn away a customer who approached them directly) - although there are some retailers of some products who try to deny this.

Anyhow, I can say that I returned an E-3 body for warranty service by dropping it off at LCE Strand at the beginning of June and got it back from them two weeks later.

andym
30th June 2009, 04:28 PM
Mine's with Oly at the moment.It was delivered on 23rd but have not had any acknowledgement that they have it.
I phoned customer service yesterday and was told that they are running with one weeks delay.But that was only after I told them it had been with them for a week.:confused:
Anyway we'll see what happens.Be good to be back for my holiday in 3 weeks time.

jdal
30th June 2009, 05:13 PM
Legally, I believe that it is the retailer who is responsible for warranty issues (some manufacturers of some goods would turn away a customer who approached them directly) - although there are some retailers of some products who try to deny this.

I'm not sure about the retailer's responsibility vis a vis warranty, but I spoke to Oly first and they wanted the camera sent to them directly.

Anyhow, I can say that I returned an E-3 body for warranty service by dropping it off at LCE Strand at the beginning of June and got it back from them two weeks later.
I had to post the camera to the dealer so there was an extra delay and cost to me. But that doesn't account for 3 weeks of delay. Plus I couldn't turn up and hassle them to try and speed things up.

DerekC
1st July 2009, 07:59 AM
Recently I had to send a lens for repair it the auto focus wouldn't work in CF. As soon as you tried to track anything it was out of focus.

The door to door repair time was six weeks! I was always having to chase for information, only to be told the engineers in Portugal don't really put much information on about the fault. Then told waiting for parts maybe due to the lens type?
I was my new toy 90-250 F2.8 which I had saved hard for, to do Rally's and Rallycross. When I told them I had a couple of events which I wanted the lens for, they offered me a 40-150 kit lens to loan! :(LOL!

Happily the lens arrived back and performs perfectly. Now I just need more practice with. Arms and shoulders are getting stronger.:D

Regards

Derek

jdal
1st July 2009, 09:05 AM
Looks like it's a very hit-or-miss process then. Maybe I got a good turnaround on account of it being their 3rd try at a repair.