PDA

View Full Version : are they worth keeping?

SkinHead
28th June 2009, 06:40 PM
hi all,
i have just bought a 14-54mm f2.8 ZD lens and i wonder if the kit lenses(14-42mm and 40-150mm-which i hardly use) are worth keeping. i already have the 70-300mm lens. any thoughts? how much do u reckon i'd make if i sell them off to camera shops like Jessops or LCE?
Thanks

photo_owl
28th June 2009, 07:03 PM
your call on keeping - they all serve a purpose. the obvious possibility would be your deciding to sell the 510 and buying a new body only.........

on balance you would probably sell easiest for a fair price in the buy and sell part of this forum; and you can get indications from historic prices here and on ebay.

you might get more on ebay eventually but 'net' it's unlikey and then it's a matter of what price you put on your time.

Zuiko
28th June 2009, 09:19 PM
Before you part with them just think if there may be any situations when you might still have a use for them. The 14-54mm and 70-300mm are an awesome pairing but together the two kit lenses are considerably lighter and more compact. The E510 is a lovely lightweight and compact camera, might there not be future occassions when you wish to travel as light as possible and these lenses would be worth their (lack of) weight in gold?

PaulE
28th June 2009, 09:30 PM
You might well have a hard time getting a fair price for the kit lenses 14-42mm moreso - I'm guessing Ebay will be a better bet than here on the forum as most here will already have an e-system camera with the kit lens. Although the 14-42 is pretty useful if you want to travel light I could live with only having the 14-54 instead but I'd be inclined to keep hold of the 40-150 though - it is a significatly smaller and lighter lens than the 70-300 and I find the AF speed to be much better on the 40-150 too. For anything moving I find myself grabbing for AF speed over the extra reach / versatility of the larger 70-300.

Melaka
29th June 2009, 06:22 AM
Although I use the E3 and pro lenses for most of my photography there are occasions when the light weight of the E510 and kit lenses come in handly.

SkinHead
29th June 2009, 06:27 AM
After much consideration, I have decided to keep the kit lenses. I certainly agree to the fact that I may never know when I'll need to lug around less heavy stuff and I don't think I can get a good price from them as they are not in high demand at the moment.
Thank you for all your comments. have a nice day!

blu-by-u
7th August 2009, 11:22 AM
For me, I would keep both. Why. Should I decide to sell my camera in the future, the bundling of at least 1 lens would open the market to new shooters. The 14-42 would not fetch much in the used market anyway.

As for the 40-150, it's a pretty good daylight walkabout lens.

HughofBardfield
7th August 2009, 04:07 PM
I regret having parted with my kit lenses as they're so small and light. I re-acquired the 14-42 when I bought my wife an E410, but it's the (very pocketable) 40-150 I really miss.

Archphoto
7th August 2009, 09:09 PM
I still have both kitlenses and use them normaly.

I see no reason to sell of the kitlenses anyway: just for a bit larger aperture ?
The 14-42mm and 40-150 are great on the E4xx and have good lens quality.
Ok they hey are not weather-proof, but my E410 and E520 are not either.

Sandstorms are rare in Holland and Brazil, in the Middle East or northern Africa maybe.....

Rain is a problem in Western Europe, but if you need to photograph in the rain you might get yourself an E3 with Pro-lens or a Tough camera.

Lately I have been testing the 40-150mm with a +4 and a +10 diopter lens at 100mm for real close-ups and it is like having a great macro-zoom in your hands.

Peter

theMusicMan
7th August 2009, 09:35 PM
Missed this thread when it was posted, sorry.

I purchased my E-510 nearly two years ago, then upgraded to my E-3 in Dec 2007. I still have my two kit lenses.

Was out with a pro mate on a paid job last weekend after I was asked to accompany him at an equestrian event where he needed 2 shooters - himself and me.

I used the 40-150mm for many shots, including this one;

http://www.reflectingme.com/img/v1/p392633511-4.jpg

OlyPaul
8th August 2009, 04:13 PM
Thats a cracking shot John! *yes

theMusicMan
8th August 2009, 04:21 PM
Thats a cracking shot John! *yes
Thanks Paul. Tried to get it to show what the Oly kit lenses are capable of.*chr