PDA

View Full Version : close-up lens query

Invicta
27th June 2009, 05:09 PM
I am thinking about purchasing a close-up lens to try some close-up photography with an Oly 50-200 Lens.

Trouble is that the make of close-up lens I was looking at is not available in a 69mm thread. Has anybody used any make of close-up lens with a step-up ring?

E.g. with a 72mm close-up lens and a 69-72 step-up ring would this

1) Affect the magnification due to the extra space?
2) Affect the image edge due to anything weird going on with edge of the step-up ring.

Many thanks

Graham_of_Rainham
27th June 2009, 07:07 PM
I've just tried it at 49 to 52 and the difference is not noticable.

With the angle of view at the 50mm you shouldn't see the edge of the step up ring and you will be looking through the better part of the lens anyway. At 200mm only the innermost part of the lens will be viewed through anyway.

best bet is to go to a good shop and try before you buy, but I doubt that this will be any problem.

*chr

mike_j
27th June 2009, 08:06 PM
I wonder if you would do better with a cheap extension tube? In my limited experience close up lenses are pretty poor unless you spend a fair abount on money.

Jim Ford
27th June 2009, 09:32 PM
I am thinking about purchasing a close-up lens to try some close-up photography with an Oly 50-200 Lens.

I bought a Raynox DCR-150 for my 50-200, on the strength of these images:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=31907418

I've not got to grips with the set-up yet and will ask Luis Florit for some tips.

Jim

David M
27th June 2009, 09:57 PM
The 50-200 takes 67 mm filters which is a common size. I've never heard of a 69 mm filter size.

Invicta
28th June 2009, 05:36 AM
The 50-200 takes 67 mm filters which is a common size. I've never heard of a 69 mm filter size.

Ah yes, I made a mistake, it is 67mm filter size. I was all excited until I checked the close-up lens size. Alas the close-up lens I am looking at is only available in 52mm, 58mm, 72mm and 77mm sizes :(

Invicta
28th June 2009, 05:47 AM
I wonder if you would do better with a cheap extension tube? In my limited experience close up lenses are pretty poor unless you spend a fair abount on money.

Agreed, I tried a cheap Hoya close-up before which was not much use. I am currenlty looking at the Canon 500D close-up lens which is on the expensive side and may fill the gap until Oly release their telephoto macro lens.

I am also thinking about the extension tube, although the focus would vary as you zoom in and out so my current thoughts are that a good close-up lens would be easier to manage as I plan to use mainly outdoors.

Invicta
28th June 2009, 05:53 AM
I bought a Raynox DCR-150 for my 50-200, on the strength of these images:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=31907418

I've not got to grips with the set-up yet and will ask Luis Florit for some tips.

Jim

A very impressive gallery from Luis Florit. Let us know how you get on and post some results.