PDA

View Full Version : Travel card backup/viewer

drmarkf
27th June 2009, 02:20 PM
Hi. Can anyone please recommend an economical and reliable portable backup drive & image viewer for travel?

I'd like something that can display .orf files, take CF cards or a usb plug from a card reader, and be usable whether or not I've taken my Vista Business laptop with me.

I've had recommendations for the Hyperdrive Colorspace which comes in at about UK£150 plus the cost of a 2.5" SATA drive (from £60 at Maplin for 80Gb).

Also I know some people use a netbook: I've got one of the early Asus solid state ones, but I'm after something even smaller in size/weight, and mine's only got 8Gb memory.

Any comments and other suggestions would be most welcome.

ScubaRoy
27th June 2009, 08:07 PM
I take my netbook and use the spare space on my ipod (about 60Gb) for actual storage. My ipod will be with me anyway so isn't any extra weight. A cheap USB card reader completes the setup.

If you have an ipod then you can get a USB camera adaptor for it which allows the downloading of jpegs from the camera but I don't think it will download raw flles.

drmarkf
28th June 2009, 09:37 AM
I take my netbook and use the spare space on my ipod (about 60Gb) for actual storage. My ipod will be with me anyway so isn't any extra weight. A cheap USB card reader completes the setup.

If you have an ipod then you can get a USB camera adaptor for it which allows the downloading of jpegs from the camera but I don't think it will download raw flles.

Interesting. I've just done a bit of digging around the iPod option, but I can't find any recent products. Nice idea, though, and I do have 40Gb free on my 120Gb Classic...

Currently I have a couple of these big USB stix, which I use as extra backup when I've got my Vista laptop or basic netbook with me:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=105848

Normally as first-line storage I wouldn't risk 16Gb of my images on a single cheap stick, even a Toshiba product, but since they are only used as backup to existing CF cards on the move they seemed to offer a reasonable cost:benefit ratio.
What I'm really looking for now is something to use when I'm trying to travel really light, without the laptop or netbook.

There's some sensible discussion here, for anyone who's interested in this sort of question, and the Colorspace comes out with several user recommendations:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/22/ask-engadget-best-portable-photo-backup-storage-device/

shenstone
28th June 2009, 04:18 PM
Hi. Can anyone please recommend an economical and reliable portable backup drive & image viewer for travel?

I'd like something that can display .orf files, take CF cards or a usb plug from a card reader, and be usable whether or not I've taken my Vista Business laptop with me.

I'd STRONGLY recomment the Vosonic VP8860

I Upgraded to this from a Jobo and have been immendly happy with the speed and functionality and screen.

http://www.vosonic.com/product.php?PA=feature&kind=1&id_1=9

What's really nice is that they take standard Nikon NP-100 battery which is really east to swap so you can carry plenty of power if your in the wilds. You can also upgrade the hard drive if you get a smaller one and it proves insuffient

I had a Jobo before this and trialed an Epson and Fashtrak device - it beat them all in my tests and was seriously cheaper than the equivalent size in Epson and Jobo current devices

Re ORF - it happily shows my E500/510 files, can't comment on other models

I have to admit that I've also just purchased a Samsung N110 Netbook for a bigger screen option when I'm travelling in places with mains power, but I'll still use the Vosonic when out for the day or camping in the wilds though as it's so easy and reliable.

Regards
Andy

drmarkf
28th June 2009, 08:41 PM
I'd STRONGLY recomment the Vosonic VP8860

Re ORF - it happily shows my E500/510 files, can't comment on other models

Thanks - this looks good, and I would find the FM radio & voice recorder useful. I've emailed them to ask about support for E-620 raws.