PDA

View Full Version : Locking AEL

Trausti Hraunfjord
27th June 2009, 01:05 AM
Hi all.

I just purchased E-520, and would like to know how to lock the AEL, so that I don't have to hold the button down during the whole shoot session (over 30 photos used for panoramas). Of course there is the panorama function, but I would like to be able to lock it in AEL and in either M or P.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

crimbo
27th June 2009, 06:33 AM
Turn to A and set the aperture you want
Look at the exposure time of the scene
Turn to M
set the exposure time that you just measured
Exposure is now fixed until you change something

theMusicMan
27th June 2009, 06:35 AM
If you're doing a multi-shot pano, don't forget that before you do this you should also set the WB to something other than Auto!

Trausti Hraunfjord
27th June 2009, 08:00 AM
Thank you's! I will have a go at this in the morning (half way there already).

OlyPaul
27th June 2009, 08:40 AM
I have all my Oly's set up so that one press of the AEL button locks the exposure and another press of it unlocks it. In fact I have mine set up to suit my way of working, which is that using the shutter button to lock exposure uses the set metering mode at the time (usually ESP) and using the AEL button to lock exposure uses spot metering.

You will find this feature and how to use it in your manual. but it is usally found (depending on the model) under spanner 1 > spanner B to turn AEl lock on and spanner D to set the metering mode for that feature :)

Ian
27th June 2009, 10:02 AM
If you're doing a multi-shot pano, don't forget that before you do this you should also set the WB to something other than Auto!

This is very good advice if you are only shooting JPEGs, but (especially if you are using Lightroom or Aperture, where you can apply settings to a wide selection of images in one go) if shooting RAW there is no need to worry about white balance settings as you can correct the white balance easily and accurately when developing from RAW.

Ian

Adagio
17th July 2009, 02:37 PM
Turn to A and set the aperture you want
Look at the exposure time of the scene
Turn to M
set the exposure time that you just measured
Exposure is now fixed until you change something

I find it even easier to select M set the aperture you want, half press exposure button and adjust exposure level indicator to 0 or +- a bit by adjusting time. Exposure now fixed.