PDA

View Full Version : Marumi DHG filters

baldyb
13th June 2009, 04:05 PM
Does anyone use Marumi filters?

After reading the various debates on here over UV filters I'm thinking of getting a couple of basic protection filters - I've been looking at Hoya and Kenko (which I've learnt from other posts are made by the same company) but I can't find much about Marumi. They sell a DHG grade which seems to be reasonably priced compared to the Pro1 versions marketed by the others.

Thanks in advance, Kevin

*chr

EH1
13th June 2009, 04:42 PM
I would just put the money you are going to spend towards another lens & forget the UV filters!;)

baldyb
13th June 2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I take it you are in the "no" camp re UV!!

I had actually also come to that conclusion so was thinking of getting just the clear protector filters as I'd feel naked without something to protect my recently acquired glass.

*chr

PeterD
14th June 2009, 04:16 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I take it you are in the "no" camp re UV!!

I had actually also come to that conclusion so was thinking of getting just the clear protector filters as I'd feel naked without something to protect my recently acquired glass.

*chr

I have to agree with you for the following reasons:
1. It is a fact that you will not be replacing the lens cover each time you carry the lens between shooting locations on a single session (It's just too darn difficult to quickly fit the cap with the hood in place.
2. The cost of a UV filter used as a lens protector is very low.
3. A good quality UV filter does not noticably reduce the light to the lens you are protecting to any significant degree.

I do a lot of wildlife shooting and travel through the undergrowth on a photo shoot. The risks of damage through scratches on the lens can be quite high in these circumstances. Whilst the front end lens can be replaced under repair, it can be very costly. I use UV filters on all my lenses for this reason.
The price of a Bigma, Sigma 150mm and ZD 12-60 lens make it essential in my opinion. I have had to have one lens repaired when I had not used a UV filter so I speak from experience.

As for your suggestion re the Marumi filter I cannot comment. Just make sure that it is a good quality uv filter. Browse the web for info. I have never heard of this make before so I would proceed with caution. For the Sigma lenses I own, I use the Sigma DG filters and for the others I use the Hoya Pro versions.

Good luck with your choice.

Peter

Nick Temple-Fry
14th June 2009, 08:28 AM
Well this controversy will run for as long as we use 'glass' for focussing light beams.

I've an instinctive dislike to anything
a) involves me in spending more money
b) puts anything extra in the light path

So generally I don't use filters and rely on the lens hood (which on long lenses is quite substantial) to provide physical protection. Short/wide lenses I do not carry without the lens cover in place.

However there are exceptions - I often use the sigma 150 without the lens hood as it reduces shadow and disruption to the subject, in that case I've recently taken to using a filter.

So I'd suggest you think about the style of shooting and the environment you shoot in to determine the risk to the lens.

Nick

HughofBardfield
15th June 2009, 12:52 PM
Well this controversy will run for as long as we use 'glass' for focussing light beams...

So I'd suggest you think about the style of shooting and the environment you shoot in to determine the risk to the lens.

Nick

Absolutely! I keep UV filters on my lenses and take them off as and when the circumstances merit. Coatings are much more robust than they were back in the day, but things like salt spray, mud and brambles are worth keeping off on general principal, it seems to me. As I use Cokin filters, and I keep a holder permanently mounted on the wider lenses, if I don't want the UV, I unscrew the whole assembly and drop it in the bag.

I have some Marumi filters - they seem fine for my purposes.