PDA

View Full Version : Locking up fault

Ross
8th June 2009, 02:57 PM
Hi folks
Its Ross the newbe, i have had my e-3 just two months and i am still getting used to it, the first wedding i used it on no problems, nor did i have any problems on holiday with it, (went to Dorset filled 8, 2 gig cards) however, on the last two weddings it has developed a fault, it works fine for a while then, locks focus, beeps then nothing, re-frame, lock focus, beeps then nothing, wait a short while and its ok again, it seams to be worse when using the FL-50, i have tryed the built in flash an the problem almost went away, fitted the flash again and the lock up started again, has anyone else experianced similar problems?, by the way the flash also keeps jumping from TTl Auto to Auto all by its self.
many thanks
Ross

EH1
8th June 2009, 03:15 PM
Ross, 1) Are you using a battery grip? 2) What Firmware is in your camera? 3) What lenses are you using? I have experienced several problems in the past like these over the past year & am asking you these questions to try & help you rectify the problem!;)

Ross
8th June 2009, 03:25 PM
Hi EH1
Thanks for the quick response, yes i am using the battery grip HLD4, it came free with the carry case i had, after visiting the Focus show.

The lenses i am using are the kit 17.5 -45mm, 40-10mm and the 14-54mm pro lens, it should add that if the FL50 flash it attatched and turned off the fault still arrises, but i had no problems on Saturday using the flash and the 40 - 150 lens, perhaps it was because the was more time between shots, an yes all batteries were charged.
Ross

EH1
8th June 2009, 03:27 PM
Hi EH1
Thanks for the quick response, yes i am using the battery grip HLD4, it came free with the carry case i had, after visiting the Focus show.

The lenses i am using are the kit 17.5 -45mm, 40-10mm and the 14-54mm pro lens, it should add that if the FL50 flash it attatched and turned off the fault still arrises, but i had no problems on Saturday using the flash and the 40 - 150 lens, perhaps it was because the was more time between shots, an yes all batteries were charged.
RossDo you still get these faults when you don`t have the battery grip attatched to your camera?

Ross
8th June 2009, 03:31 PM
Hi again EH1
That, i havent yet tryed, but on haliday i didnt use it at all nor the flash and i had no problems, sods law it all works fine at home when i try testing things, do think the grip is at fault?.
Ross

EH1
8th June 2009, 03:38 PM
Hi again EH1
That, i havent yet tryed, but on haliday i didnt use it at all nor the flash and i had no problems, sods law it all works fine at home when i try testing things, do think the grip is at fault?.
RossYes!!*yes I think you will find it is the battery grip is faultly. There have been so many problems caused with the E-3`s when they are being used with the HLD-4 battery grips!.................................If you find it`s not that, then let us know & we will have to find out which version of Firmware your camera has in it, it might just be a case of having to update it (which is done on-line free of charge).;)

250swb
8th June 2009, 03:41 PM
Are you using live view? I have an untested theory that when I have had lockups with my E3 (twice in two years), it has been while using Live View a lot, and this may be the cause. My theory stems from reading about the sensor getting hot or something, and it shuts down until cool.

My only other theory is to make sure the flash is fully pushed home and locked in place.

Steve

Ross
8th June 2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks to EH1
I have updated the firmware when i had the camera about 7 weeks ago, i think it is the latest version, but i will check, i am not due out to another wedding for two weeks but i will keep trying the camera without the grip and let you know.

Steve (250swb)
I dont use live view much, it does work but it wont give me a focused view when i use it, the screen image stays out of focus but records an in-focus image, i only use it when i need to wich is not very often.
The Flash is fully pushed in, but i did notice on Saturday when it swiched to Auto by its self, a small twist did switch it back to TTl Auto once, but not everytime.
The flash is about 4 years old, it was on sale at the right price and i used it on the e500 for two years with very little trouble, however it did still move slightly even when screwed down tight on the camera, it is quite well fixed on this one.

Jim Ford
8th June 2009, 04:46 PM
Exchange the HLD4 for a chocolate teapot, you'll find it more useful!

I've got one and it's only 50% working - it doesn't work with AAs. The consensus is also that if you use BLM1s, you need to have carefully matched pairs. For these reasons I regard mine as a technological curiosity, and it stays at home!

Jim

EH1
8th June 2009, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Ford;45106]Exchange the HLD4 for a chocolate teapot, you'll find it more useful!
This is what I meant to say!..............................I was just trying to be a bit more diplomatic!:D

Ross
8th June 2009, 05:02 PM
Hi folks
look like i have started a riot!, many thanks for you help, just a suggestion that defeats the object i know, but what if you only used 1 battery in the grip?, would that make a difference or is it the grip itself?.

Is there a for sale section on here?, 1 Nearly new battery grip for sale offers please.

Thanks again guy's
I will try out the camera without the grip but with the flash next time an let you know the results.
Many Thanks
Ross

EH1
8th June 2009, 05:19 PM
Hi folks
look like i have started a riot!, many thanks for you help, just a suggestion that defeats the object i know, but what if you only used 1 battery in the grip?, would that make a difference or is it the grip itself?.

Is there a for sale section on here?, 1 Nearly new battery grip for sale offers please.

Thanks again guy's
I will try out the camera without the grip but with the flash next time an let you know the results.
Many Thanks
RossIt`s the grip itself!;)

JohnGG
8th June 2009, 11:13 PM
I dont use live view much, it does work but it wont give me a focused view when i use it, the screen image stays out of focus but records an in-focus image, ...

You can get the camera to focus prior to taking an image when in Live-View mode by pressing the AEL/AFL button. I only discovered this the other week after 18 months of E-3 ownership when I got fed-up with a fuzzy image and decided to "Read The Fine Manual" :o

Cheers,

JohnGG

DerekW
9th June 2009, 09:26 AM
I have had quite good exposure life when using the BLM1 inside the camera - often more than 400 exposures with out a battery warning. If you go out with 2 fully charged batteries I think that you will be exhausted before the batteries will be exhausted <g>

The exposure count does get reduced when using a heavy focussing lens eg 50 200mm
Instead of using Live view when I need a low angle shot I use the VA1 Angle viewer which gives a clear thru the optical viewfinder and none of the delay while the live view switches back to normal for exposing the image.

Ross
9th June 2009, 02:41 PM
Hi all
Many thanks for all the usefull suggestions, not a bad response to my first day, i will keep you informed of the results
Ross

Ross
3rd July 2009, 01:52 PM
Hi All
Well I think that I have solved my problem, its not the battery grip its the flash!, and me tring to be too quick, I can fire off several shots on repeat mode with the flash no problem but when I have tried to shoot again before the flash has recharged the camera locks up, even with 2800 ma batteries there is a delay before you can shoot again, still thanks for all the help.
Ross

Ian
3rd July 2009, 03:11 PM
Hi All
Well I think that I have solved my problem, its not the battery grip its the flash!, and me tring to be too quick, I can fire off several shots on repeat mode with the flash no problem but when I have tried to shoot again before the flash has recharged the camera locks up, even with 2800 ma batteries there is a delay before you can shoot again, still thanks for all the help.
Ross

The default for Release Priority (RLS Priority) is for the shutter button to be disabled while either the focus is not locked or the flash is not charged and ready to fire (if on). So to avoid a lock up, but risk a shot not focused and/or the flash not firing (if in an AE mode camera will attempt to shoot with the correct available light exposure) then set the RLS Priority to be ON.

Even the FL-50 is not a terribly fast flash unit for recycling. The best way to help ensure more viable continuous flash exposures before the charge/recycle is defeated is to increase the camera's sensitivity (exposure or ISO) so that less flash power is required per shot, or get closer to the subject. You could also invest in the external battery pack SHV-1 (http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/dslr_shv-1.htm) which will extend the burst shooting performance.

Ian