PDA

View Full Version : A get-together in/nr Wiltshire

j.baker
2nd June 2009, 07:02 PM
I am aware that there are other threads about arranging get-togethers , but getting to London for the me and the wife it not easy.....so I am proposing a get-together in or around Wiltshire.

I live in Marlborough, and I can suggest some local places to visit.

Savernake forest (free)
Hungerford (free, although parking may cost)
Coate water in Swindon (free)
Combe Gibbet (free)
Bowood (8.50 each)
Cotswold wildlife park (last time I went it was about 10 each)

Savernake forest has BBQ areas that can be used for a small fee. Perhaps we could organise a BBQ if enough people want to attend. I make a good home made burger :D:D

If anyone wants to post this on the Four Thrirds User forum, that would be great.

theMusicMan
2nd June 2009, 07:30 PM
Depending exactly where and when John, do count me in.

Jim Ford
2nd June 2009, 08:25 PM
Cotswold wildlife park (last time I went it was about 10 each)

Nice venue for animal photography. Also, Burford is nearby and is very picturesque.

Jim

Wreckdiver
2nd June 2009, 09:00 PM
I am aware that there are other threads about arranging get-togethers , but getting to London for the me and the wife it not easy.....so I am proposing a get-together in or around Wiltshire.

Sounds good to me John. I am in Chippenham.

Steve

Andrew Riddell
2nd June 2009, 09:40 PM
What about the canal locks at Devizes? I'm interested anyway.

Andrew

j.baker
2nd June 2009, 10:03 PM
Devizes is not too far.

Let's see if anyone else has any more suggestions, then I will compile a list and then everyone can vote. This makes it fair for everyone.

Here is the list so far:

Savernake forest. Early morning or evening give you a great chance to see deep (I was there this evening and got some nice shots). Also BBQ opportunity.
Hungerford canal/Warf
Crofton Beam engine and Wilton Windmill
Combe Gibbet

Kennet Long barrow/Silbury
Devizes canal/Warf (they have a large set of locks)
Bowood

Cotswold wildlife park
Coate Water

I have grouped the locations that are close to each other.

davidh
2nd June 2009, 10:45 PM
Hi John

i will try to make it dependent on dates

Dave

j.baker
2nd June 2009, 10:54 PM
Dates.......I am open to suggestions,

I was thinking Sat 4th or Sun 5th July.

The Saint
3rd June 2009, 07:22 AM
John

I was over a Devizes locks at the end of April and there wasn't much action on the canal at the time. Maybe different in July.

I couldn't find an ideal location either to capture the number of locks there are (they all merge together as I couldn't get enough elevation to look down on them and get some water seperating them)

On a positive note, there were a couple of herons and nesting swan.

There is a couple of Olympus Safari Group meetings on over the weekend of the 3rd/4th July, which I'm sure everyone would be welcomed at: -

3rd and 4th July - Goodwood Festival of Speed (It's not cheap tickets are 33 each, but from previous experience it is a good day out)

4th July - Air show are RAF waddington

More details of the events can be found at link (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=106478543555192071681.000451a5a3d65746758d7&ll=52.948638,-0.98877&spn=5.416348,16.567383&z=7)

Regards

Simon

j.baker
3rd June 2009, 07:32 AM
Given the other organised events, I think I had better change the date.

Any suggestions?