PDA

View Full Version : Those pesky hot shoe covers...

michaelavis
29th May 2009, 09:15 PM
...does anybody know where to get the Olympus original ones from?

Paulpp
29th May 2009, 09:21 PM
Try Luton Camera Repair Services - they seem to hold a good supply of Olympus sapres and were very helpful when I have needed a few pieces.

Archphoto
30th May 2009, 12:34 AM
I actualy never use them.

Peter

j.baker
30th May 2009, 06:43 AM
I have a spare one if you are interested.

If you want one, make a donation to a charity, PM me your address and I will send one to you.

StephenL
30th May 2009, 06:48 AM
I wonder at the importance of these. My new G1 came without one...

michaelavis
30th May 2009, 10:24 AM
I have a spare one if you are interested.

If you want one, make a donation to a charity, PM me your address and I will send one to you.

Damn and blast, just ordered one online from Luton Camera Repair Services, they have the e-System ones one there, they are 2.99 plus an incredible 3.50 p&p and I fell for it :o. Thank you for your offer, wish I'd seen it first, a charity would have been a far better recipient of that money.

michaelavis
30th May 2009, 10:25 AM
I wonder at the importance of these. My new G1 came without one...

Hmmm, so did my Leica D-Lux 4, hmmmm, won't buy another one if I lose any more, I doubt they are important at all.

michaelavis
30th May 2009, 10:27 AM
Try Luton Camera Repair Services - they seem to hold a good supply of Olympus sapres and were very helpful when I have needed a few pieces.

Thanks, yep, they have them.

mike_j
30th May 2009, 11:16 AM
I generally store them with other bits and bobs like boxes etc so when I sell the camera t's all complete. I'd lose them in minutes if I left them on the camera.

I suppose if I had an E3 and made a habit of taking it out in the rain I would keep the contacts covered.

Archphoto
30th May 2009, 11:45 AM
..... and the wet stuff would creep under it anyway.....

Peter;)

Zuiko
30th May 2009, 01:13 PM
Mine soon got lost and I couldn't care less. They are purely for cosmetic reasons and about as much use as an ash tray on a motor bike. :D

EH1
30th May 2009, 01:43 PM
The first thing I do when I get a new camera is to pull the cover off & throw it in the box ready for when I sell the camera in a couple of years time..........................I did`nt actually realise you were meant to keep it on!:D

Makonde
30th May 2009, 04:45 PM
LOL I lost mine in three weeks.

Poll: how many of you still have your hot-shoe covers?

michaelavis
30th May 2009, 07:07 PM
LOL I lost mine in three weeks.

Poll: how many of you still have your hot-shoe covers?

I do on my E-3, it's survived for 8 months, but not on e420, survived 2 weeks, hense mug purchase of a 1p peice of plastic for 7 :o

Zuiko
31st May 2009, 12:10 AM
I do on my E-3, it's survived for 8 months, but not on e420, survived 2 weeks, hense mug purchase of a 1p peice of plastic for 7 :o

Hey, don't be too hard on yourself, it's very useful to have the cover if you ever want to sell the camera as it is part of the original equipment and many photographers do like to keep these covers in place. It's down to personal preference and it certainly does no harm. :)

Ken Lister
31st May 2009, 08:29 PM
Being a sad person who makes plastic military models, I have a supply of black plasticard. Measured the hot shoe, cut a piece to size for interference fit - tight as a drum. Cost? About 1p!

250swb
31st May 2009, 08:51 PM
Hey, don't be too hard on yourself, it's very useful to have the cover if you ever want to sell the camera as it is part of the original equipment and many photographers do like to keep these covers in place. It's down to personal preference and it certainly does no harm. :)

I'm not entirely sure it does 'no harm'.

You take your E3 out in a wet environment, perhaps working all day, and the water that gets under the useless plastic cover stays there all day, even if the rain does let off. It gets worse if it is salt water that gets in there. And then there is your average amount of fluff and grit that gets under it should the useless plastic cover never be removed. And its all very well saying the photographer should take it off regularly to clean and dry underneath, but the useless average photographer will not take off the useless plastic cover because it really is to much work.

It was a bad day when Olympus sent out the requisition for twenty billion useless plastic covers, and I just hope their sales improve so they can finally use the last one.

Steve

HughofBardfield
1st June 2009, 12:14 PM
Actually, I have found in the past that unprotected hot shoe contacts can suffer from slight oxidation/ corrosion that has (on my E1) prevented the flash from firing properly. Soon cleaned off with a hard pencil eraser, but there nontheless. Never had a similar problem with my OMs - did they come with covers???

I still have the HS cover that came with my E510 just almost two years ago. Thought I'd lost it last Summer, but turned up hiding under the partitions in my backpack a couple of weeks ago.

The point about water getting trapped under there is well made, but I find it fits well enough to keep dust and grit out.

vincent
1st June 2009, 10:36 PM
From experience ... send Luton cameras a stamped addressed envelope, and a cheque for 2.99 (or whatever the amount is): I've bought a few such bits from him - such as the flash and remote socket covers - he doesn't seem to mind. I certainly wasn't going to pay his extortionate P&P charges!

David M
1st June 2009, 11:37 PM
Never had a similar problem with my OMs - did they come with covers???

I think all the OMs came with hot shoe covers. The OM1/1n and OM2/2n had removable hot shoes. I used to take them off and cover the holes with electrical tape.

michaelavis
2nd June 2009, 08:47 AM
From experience ... send Luton cameras a stamped addressed envelope, and a cheque for 2.99 (or whatever the amount is): I've bought a few such bits from him - such as the flash and remote socket covers - he doesn't seem to mind. I certainly wasn't going to pay his extortionate P&P charges!

I'll try that next time, I did send him an email to suggest that he could send me the cover via normal letter post and donate the remaining 3 of the 3.50 postage charge to charity, but he didn't take me up on it, the cover just arrived, recorded delivery, unbelieveable for a piece of plastic.

Melaka
3rd June 2009, 01:06 PM
A small sliver of sellotape keeps mine in place.

Jim Ford
3rd June 2009, 01:22 PM
A small sliver of sellotape keeps mine in place.

A neurotic checking every few minutes the eypiece and flash cover, keeps mine in place!

Jim

Zuiko
3rd June 2009, 08:35 PM
I'm not entirely sure it does 'no harm'.

You take your E3 out in a wet environment, perhaps working all day, and the water that gets under the useless plastic cover stays there all day, even if the rain does let off. It gets worse if it is salt water that gets in there. And then there is your average amount of fluff and grit that gets under it should the useless plastic cover never be removed. And its all very well saying the photographer should take it off regularly to clean and dry underneath, but the useless average photographer will not take off the useless plastic cover because it really is to much work.

It was a bad day when Olympus sent out the requisition for twenty billion useless plastic covers, and I just hope their sales improve so they can finally use the last one.

Steve

Hey Steve,

You really don't like these covers, do you? :D

I can see where you're comming from and I never have mine fitted, but whenever I get my E3 soaked in salt water I rinse it thoroughly under a cold tap, just to be on the safe side. :)

oly_om
3rd June 2009, 09:06 PM
The underside of the cover has a recess. I get some heat-shrink cable wrap (the 10mm wide stuff) and lightly singe each lengthways edge until it is the correct width for the recess. I then trim it and super-glue the singed edges to the edges of the recess so the cable wrap tube bows out slightly. This has two benefits - a tighter fit and a soft rubber area pressing onto the contacts - helping the moisture stay out.

Andy

(okay, that's really geeky)

7tenths
5th June 2009, 08:30 AM
Mine are never on the hotshoe (tho' I'm sure they are here somewhere), as previous posters have said, they are not much use. I've had my E1 and E3 out in the wet stuff and not suffered as a result. There's either a transmitter on the top of my camera bodies or nothing at all.

Wreckdiver
6th June 2009, 01:26 PM

Thanks for the tip Vincent.

I found my E-3's remote control socket cover missing this morning and as the hot shoe cover was also missing I decided to get a stock of each in from Luton Camera Repair Services. Went to their website and started to order 4 of each. I was teken to Paypal and it added 3 postage to every item :eek:

S*d that, so contacted them and asked if they would accept a cheque and SAE. No problems at all, they were quite happy. For anyone interested, the remote socket covers cost 2 each and the hot shoe covers 2.99. Go to: http://www.lutoncameras.co.uk/ShopPage/Accessories/Page01.html

Steve

Archphoto
8th July 2009, 01:45 AM
Picking up an old thread.....

For those wanting new covers at sale of your camera: safe the originals in a safe place and go to ebay # 350207699447 U$ 2.90 and free shipping.

Just a thought,

Peter

donmcmahan
28th October 2009, 05:05 PM
you would think they would make them in such a way that they stay on:rolleyes:

Jim Ford
28th October 2009, 06:37 PM
After loosing a couple, I now put mine on back-to-front. They seem more secure that way round.

Jim