PDA

View Full Version : CF Cards... and Oly Cards...

theMusicMan
9th January 2008, 11:21 PM
Hey All

I was pleasantly suprised this evening when I took a look at my PayPal balance and thought I'd treat myself to a memory card. So, I started browsing on eBay for CF cards and thought I'd ask in here for some advice before I ordered.

Has anyone used an 8GB card in their E-510 or E-3 camera yet...? Are there any known issues with a CF card that size?

Also, do you think it is worth purchasing one of the Olympus cards (not even sure what to search for for those as I don't know what they're called even!!) so I can have a stab an pano shots...?

All advice greatly appreciated...

Garrie
9th January 2008, 11:29 PM
I'm no much help..

I've only got a 4gb Extreme IV that I use in my E510, don't think I would trust a 8gb card tbh, just me being paranoid though, lol..

The Oly cards are XD cards (never seen a CF oly card), unsure why only Oly XD cards allow panos (was the same with my old oly compact), would love to know why :confused:

I know the XD card wright speeds are a lot slower than CF though.

Cheers
Gar

Ian
9th January 2008, 11:52 PM
I've used an 8GB Lexar Pro UDMA without problems on the E-3. I've also used a 16GB SanDisk Extreme III card on other E-system cameras, again, without problems. I thought I'd lost this card (hence why it has not been used on the E-3) but Julia found it stuffed down the side of the sofa the other day :D

Ian

CaptainD
9th January 2008, 11:53 PM
Just a little word of warning with CF cards sourced from Ebay. I have bought 2 Sandisk CF cards that turned out to be fakes. 1 would not work, refund obtained and the other claimed to be a 2GB card but would only format to 128MB. So be very careful, my top recommendation would be to buy from 7dayshop as their prices on Sandisk are getting very cheap indeed. For example a 2GB Sandisk Extreme III is just 17.99.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=101212

After my experiences on Ebay I no longer buy from there, there are so many other genuine UK retailers selling so reasonably I no longer think it is worth the hassle.

Cheers

Chris

P.S. Ebay now posts some good online guides for identifying fake cards

BigD
10th January 2008, 12:01 AM
ive had a 4gb card with my e500 when i bought it, but it went wrong while i was out shooting :( luckly i didnt have much on it, it got replaced but ive just bought and recieved 2x 2gb sandisk extreme iii cards. i got them for 13.99 each with free delivery from play :).

i also have a 2gb xd card just incase i run out lol.

CaptainD
10th January 2008, 12:14 AM
Excellent work BigD, I had never thought of Play.com for CF cards, very impressed, low prices and free delivery

Cheers

Chris

BigD
10th January 2008, 12:16 AM
no problem mate, it took 3 days for me to get them so quicker than most ebay shops :D

peak4
10th January 2008, 12:19 AM
Regarding the fake Sandisk cards on ebay, there's quite a good article here;

http://reviews.ebay.co.uk/FAKE-SanDisk-Extreme-Compact-Flash-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001456526

Personally I've used My Memory; thier own brand x133 speed card seemed to work every bit as well in the E-1 & E-500 as a Sandisk Extreme 3, but you don't get the free software that Sandisk supply with thiers. (I've not tested it in the E-3 yet).

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Compact-Flash-Cards

ndl0071
10th January 2008, 08:57 AM
Like other posters on this thread my pref is CF I have a couple of Kingston cards which I have had a while now with no problems what so ever, I also keep an XD in the slot for back up purposes should I need extra space than I originally anticipated.

j.baker
10th January 2008, 09:15 AM
I have the SanDisk Extreme 4 8GB in my E-510, I also have a Transcend 120x 8Gb in the E-400.

The Extreme 4 works very well in both cameras, but although the Transcend works in both, the E-510 takes more time to flush its buffer when taking multiple frames, where as I cannot see any major difference on either cards on the E-400.

Ian
10th January 2008, 09:30 AM
This article I wrote last year may be of interest:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2007/07/highspeed_memory_cards_tested_with_the_latest_olym pus_eseries_dslrs.php

Ian

Pete_VN52
10th January 2008, 09:30 AM
Just to chime in, I buy my memory cards from Play as well - can't go wrong for the price for the Sandisk Extremes.

ianc
10th January 2008, 09:55 AM
For my E3 I went for one of the 4Gb Lexar UDMA cards. There is a noticeable speed increase over the Sandisk extreme III. I got mine from allmemorycards.co.uk. I wouldn't buy off ebay. I have seen far to many fakes bought on ebay in my time in photographic retail, most of these work but are lower capacity or speed than they should be. One of the standard cons is take a cheap card and put a fake Sandisk extreme III or Lexar pro label on it. The sad thing is most people don't realize they have a fake.

Ian C.

DerekC
10th January 2008, 08:18 PM
As there are so many fakes and prices are not always that competitive I will not use ebay for memory cards. I use amazon or my memory. Currently Amazon have Sandisk Extreme 3 2gb 13.05 plus postage which I think is a bargain. Never had a problem with either my memory or Amazon purchases. Bought 1 2gb Extreme 3 from My Memory on boxing day it arrived on Saturday the 29th excellent service.

Derek C

andyoneilphotography
14th November 2010, 10:11 PM
I'm looking to add to my cards, does anyone know if there are any issues with using a 16g card on the 620?

I'm looking to move my 8g on to my 500 so I will use the camera more often.

Who's_E
14th November 2010, 10:49 PM
Hey All

Also, do you think it is worth purchasing one of the Olympus cards (not even sure what to search for for those as I don't know what they're called even!!) so I can have a stab an pano shots...?

All advice greatly appreciated...

From my experience the pano function on the Oly xD cards doesn't compare to that from a program such as Microsoft ICE (free). This is mainly because the xD doesn't allow you to hold the camera in portrait orientation.

Try here:
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ICE/

Nick

Andel
14th November 2010, 11:12 PM
I use 8gb cards in both my E3 bodies, Lexar professional 300x UDMA bought from 7day shop and a Duracell pro photo 300x UDMA bought from http://www.duracelldirect.co.uk/memory-cards/index.html