PDA

View Full Version : What camera do you regret getting rid off & why?

EH1
27th May 2009, 12:16 PM
I will kick this off! I have always regretted selling my Olympus E-500. The build quality was great, it was totally reliable, & the images it produced were great! & I sold it about a year ago for 80:eek:

StephenL
27th May 2009, 12:31 PM
A Canon S50 compact. It produced by far the best images from a pocketable digital I've yet seen, and it was built like a brick outhouse!

ndl0071
27th May 2009, 12:36 PM
My regret was having to sell my Oly C7070, a great workhorse with quality pics. Unfortunatly it needed to go to help fund my first DSLR an E510.

RogerMac
27th May 2009, 01:26 PM
Me? get rid of cameras? :(:confused:I still have almost all the cameras I ever bought - the only exception is the E500 that I gave to my daughter.

Roger

kuvvy
27th May 2009, 01:53 PM
My film compact camera, the Contax T3 was one I regretted, however I did sell it for 100 more than I paid. I'm about to put my Konica Hexar Silver up for sale and just know I will regret it. Hasn't had much use bit must have the best lens of all my cameras.

Steve Lane
27th May 2009, 01:54 PM
Mine would have to be my original OM4Ti. I learned so much about photography with that camera, consequently it travelled to lots of places with me. I have another now, but the first one was special.

If I could include a lens, it would have to be the Zuiko 20mm f2 macro. I never used it enough to get really good results, so I sold it to raise cash for more gear. I so wish I hadn't!

Cheers, Steve.

Pete Riley
27th May 2009, 02:29 PM
Mine was a Praktica super TL. Not so much got rid of, but stolen in South East Asia. A solid ,bullet proof camera that did more miles in atrocious conditions than I can bear to think about:mad:

Graham_of_Rainham
27th May 2009, 03:28 PM
None, because I've never got rid of one. Had them taken and had to replace them, given them away and then replaced them, can you see a pattern :o

One day the lot will have to go and hopefully they will be appreciated as much by the then owners as I do now...

*chr

MarkVarley
27th May 2009, 03:53 PM
Every camera I've ever owned, I wish I'd kept, particularly an olympus compact 35mm that I took my first photos on, my zenit that I used to go pro (since bought the same model but it's not quite the same as 'the' camera), and a sony and olympus digital when 0.25mp and 4mp (respectively) were top-of-the-range. really wish I still had them all.

padgreen
27th May 2009, 05:02 PM
My black Rollei 35S, a beautiful piece of engineering. It was my second "proper" camera, the first being an OM1N, before that I had a Russian Cosmic Symbol. I sold the Rollei when my Dad gave me a Minox 35ML which I still have.

The only thing I didn't like about the Rollei was that the light meter was useless indoors. I regret selling it every time I see a Rollei 35S advertised for second had sale.

And more recently, I will probably regret selling my E1 but it has to go to fund an E30 purchase.

stevednp3
27th May 2009, 05:54 PM
Fuji e900, What a fool I was selling that, it was so powerful for a compact, years ahead of its time, 9 megapixels, Raw mode, PASM, 3 x Zoom and took quality low noise images for a compact.

IT ALSO HAD 49 AF POINTS !!!!

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/finepix_e900-review/

Sold it to buy a 410, but now I have the e-30 I crave for my litte e900 compact back to have for those times when DSLRs cant be used :(

mike_j
27th May 2009, 06:14 PM
My black Rollei 35S, a beautiful piece of engineering.

Until recently I had a Rollei 36T. When they came out I really lusted after one but new house, young family prevented it. Many years later I bought one and HATED it. Beautifully built , wonderful appearance, excellent results, truly horrible handling. Perhaps quirky would be fairer. Loads of interlocks, everything in strange places - ever tried flash with the flashgun mounted UNDER the camera?

It sat in a display cabinet for some years then I sold it last year during one of my periodic clearouts.

Most of my cameras I don't miss at all. Perhaps the Leica 111 with 5cm elmar I treated myself to when I graduated, but I couldn't be bothered to use it today, it would just gather dust. Mind you, it would almost fetch its equivalent price now after 43 years. Can't say that for many digital cameras.

Barrie Norman
27th May 2009, 06:33 PM
Mine was my OM1, last used photographing Dolphins in Southern Ireland. I didn't intend getting rid of it, but I had finished photographing, 5 rolls of film, any one remember then, I was packing everything away on the side of the boat, I must add that I don't like boats as I get sea sick, just as I zipped up my bag the boat rolled the bag went over the side and that was that, I just watched it sink.

I did claim on my insurance and in a fit of madness went out and bought a Nikon F65 and replaced my Tamron 200mm f/3.5 with an equivilent Nikor 200mm lens. I shot 1 roll of film and regretted the purchace ever since.

David M
27th May 2009, 08:54 PM
I still have my first OM1 body from '76.

I had one of the first OM4's in the UK which was nothing but trouble. When it needed the second or third set of circuit boards (after having also had a couple of new shutters and the viewfinder assembly replaced) I bounce tested it across the car park opposite my camera repairers.

I sold my E-1, 14-54 and 50-200 after using the E-410 and two kit lenses for a while. I don't miss the lenses as I was never impressed with my samples but occasionally miss the E-1.

benvendetta
27th May 2009, 09:12 PM
My Oly C8080WZ - but it was to my son so at least in theory I can still get access to it.

David M
27th May 2009, 10:38 PM
If I could include a lens, it would have to be the Zuiko 20mm f2 macro. I never used it enough to get really good results, so I sold it to raise cash for more gear. I so wish I hadn't!

Cheers, Steve.

Never had the 20mm, still have the 38mm f2.8.

I had the 35mm f2.8 and 24mm f3.5 Zuiko shift lenses that I sold as they weren't earning their keep. Now I wish I'd kept them just to try them on an E-system body.

Fluffy
28th May 2009, 02:15 AM
My Minolta XE-7 (XE-1 in Europe). I was working on the water when I had it, and it was the most solidly built camera I've ever had. It took an enormous amount of physical abuse with nary a complaint. Most of the black enamel (or whatever) had chipped off by the end and it looked like black-flecked brass camera.

Steve

250swb
28th May 2009, 07:23 AM
I regret selling a complete Contax G2 outfit. Three of the best lenses ever made, even if they are mated to a slightly quirky body. But the whole thing just felt right.

Steve

snaarman
28th May 2009, 09:27 AM
Aaah, my old Nikon FE2s. A classic camera, simple, well made, almost perfect for my purposes..

However, along came digital photography. I stopped using them, so they had to go.

P

StephenL
28th May 2009, 09:46 AM
Now that reminds me of my old Nikon FM. Quality and simplicity. Bought it with the repaid pension payments when I left Leyland Motors in the mid 70s.

Aaah, my old Nikon FE2s. A classic camera, simple, well made, almost perfect for my purposes..