PDA

View Full Version : UV Filters On Zuiko Lenses

EH1
26th May 2009, 05:18 PM
I have always used high quality UV filters on all my leses, mainly to protect them. I decided today to give all my lenses a good clean & removed the UV filters to do so, then I don`t know why, but I thought that I had NEVER used any of my lenses without the UV filters on & decided to take afew shots..........I was SHOCKED:eek: at the difference in image quality!! & to cut a long story short have decided to keep the UV filters off from now on*yes& just take the risk of scratching the lenses. I wonder how many people on here automatically put a UV filter on their lenses as soon as they have just purchased them? & never know the TRUE quality of the lens they have just purchased!:rolleyes:

Archphoto
26th May 2009, 05:26 PM
I never put a UV filter on my lenses and never had a front lens damaged either in the past 45 years or so.
The only filter I occasionaly use is a CPL filter to reduce reflexions.

The only other thing I use are lenscaps and sun hoods.

Peter

crimbo
26th May 2009, 05:27 PM
go on ... prove it to me... I would feel naked with the chance of rain or salt spray getting on to the front element....

StephenL
26th May 2009, 05:32 PM
I am so torn between these two camps. Like Peter, I never used to use them and never suffered any damage. But now I DO fit them (getting more nervous as I get older!) but I only use top quality ones. My lenses these days are so much more expensive than what I used 30 or 40 years ago.

snaarman
26th May 2009, 05:36 PM
Nope, never used them. Equally I am permanently nervous about that front element :)

Pete

mike_j
26th May 2009, 07:59 PM
I never use them these days, I used to when lens coatings were soft and easily damaged.

The best protection I think is a good lens hood.

Howi
26th May 2009, 08:10 PM
Lens coatings these days are very hard wearing, if you are wondering what effect damage to the front element does, there is a website (unfortunately can't remember it) that shows some photos with various degrees of direct light sources affecting the resultant images, then they show you the lens!!!
Quite, quite amazing, and we worry about a few (potential) scratches....
I, by the way, am of the view, if the lens manufactures wanted us to put a filter on, they would have provided one. I do agree with crimbo though, if you are shooting in adverse conditions put a filter on (but only a cheap one mind you!)

peak4
26th May 2009, 08:35 PM
Could it be here?
http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.10.30/front-element-scratches

Howi
26th May 2009, 08:47 PM
Yup! that's the one, thanks Peak4 *chr

EH1
26th May 2009, 09:05 PM
Could it be here?
http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.10.30/front-element-scratchesI just had a look at this link, & am amazed!:eek:

HughofBardfield
27th May 2009, 11:54 AM
I've always used a UV filter (premium brands only) on all of my lenses as a matter of course. A legacy of back in the day when breathing heavily on a lens coating could scratch it...

It's now force of habit, but I do now take them off when shooting even slightly into the light or indoors. To be honest, I've never noticed any discernable difference in image quality in conditions other than the above. The absence of a lens hood makes far more difference.

I suppose the ultimate proof of the pudding is the 7-14. The front element is still pristine despite much use (and the cr#p lens cap that seems to have been designed specially to catch the front element if imperfectly aligned).

Incidentally, Olympus did make UV/ Skylight filters back in OM days. I have several - including a 72mm that came with my 300mm f4.5. It surprises me they don't still make them as the fanboys would lap them up on the basis that they "must be better than Brand X because they're Olympus"!

Archphoto
27th May 2009, 12:13 PM
The best position for storing and changing the 7-14mm is at 14mm.
At 14mm the rear lens is inside it's protective shell and the front lens is more recessed than at 7mm.

Peter

David M
27th May 2009, 08:44 PM
I was SHOCKED:eek: at the difference in image quality!!

I discovered that over 20 years ago and haven't used a protective filter since.