PDA

View Full Version : Geotagging

eunosben
25th May 2009, 02:19 PM
I was just wondering if any of you have tried using a geotagging device and which one is the best?

Graham_of_Rainham
25th May 2009, 02:54 PM
Never seen a need for it. The one and only time I was ever asked, I simply looked up the Locn on Google Map

*chr

eunosben
25th May 2009, 03:00 PM
I thought about it as I'm going on holiday soon and I'm seeing a fair few locations so thought it may make life a little easier.

Graham_of_Rainham
25th May 2009, 03:15 PM
My little mju1030 has "voice notes" capability which I sometimes use to help me remember things (get milk on the way home :D)

Personally I'd sooner use a note book and spend the money towards a good lens.:)

eunosben
25th May 2009, 03:17 PM
lol fair point I do need some new glass. Cheers for the advice *chr

Nick Temple-Fry
25th May 2009, 03:28 PM
Unless for some reason you need the 'very' exact location I've never really understood the need for geotagging.

If I'm doing a lot of shots on a card over several locations I just include a tag shot (signpost, distinctive feature, note scrawled on a scrap of paper. Doesn't need to be a good photo - just something to clue my memory

Nick

Gwyver
25th May 2009, 04:36 PM
I was just wondering if any of you have tried using a geotagging device and which one is the best?

I use a Garmin Vista HCx handheld GPS whilst hillwalking etc.. Once back home I download the tracklog from the GPS and then use Geosetter (freeware for Windows PC) to Geotag my photos.

For most accurate results be sure to synchronise your camera's time settings with the GPS clock before you start.

See http://www.geosetter.de/en/index.html for more details.

HTH

fitheach
26th May 2009, 11:04 AM
I use a Garmin Vista HCx handheld GPS whilst hillwalking etc..

I have often thought of doing something like that too. I take a lot of landscape shots including mountains and lochs. The lochs are easy to identify but the mountains can be very difficult. I have spent a lot of time deciphering contour lines (on OS maps) and deciding which peak is which. Geotagging, with a handheld GPS, would be useful but it only tells you where you are standing not where your camera is pointing.

Gwyver
26th May 2009, 04:36 PM
I have often thought of doing something like that too. I take a lot of landscape shots including mountains and lochs. The lochs are easy to identify but the mountains can be very difficult. I have spent a lot of time deciphering contour lines (on OS maps) and deciding which peak is which. Geotagging, with a handheld GPS, would be useful but it only tells you where you are standing not where your camera is pointing.

In my experience once you know exactly where you were standing when the picture was taken then, with the aid of an OS Explorer map it usually is fairly straightforward to identify which feature the camera was facing (especially so if the pic contains more than one peak).

Its also worth mentioning that with Geosetter you can easily create a GoogleEarth KMZ file. This provides an overlay which superimposes the track and your pictures on GoogleEarth in the locations where they were taken. You can then 'fly' around in GoogleEarth to help resolve any remaining doubts about the subject of the picture.

fitheach
26th May 2009, 05:38 PM
In my experience once you know exactly where you were standing when the picture was taken then, with the aid of an OS Explorer map it usually is fairly straightforward to identify which feature the camera was facing (especially so if the pic contains more than one peak).

Gwyver.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, ;)
is to identify the larger peak on the right. I took the snap below when I was out walking on Sunday and my exact location was NN 354 786 (OS Grid reference).

http://www.picturenow.co.uk/pics/mission-impossible.jpg

Gwyver
27th May 2009, 04:39 PM
Gwyver.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, ;)
is to identify the larger peak on the right. I took the snap below when I was out walking on Sunday and my exact location was NN 354 786 (OS Grid reference).

http://www.picturenow.co.uk/pics/mission-impossible.jpg

At a guess - since I don't have any maps of the Highlands - it is Beinn a'Chaorainn.

fitheach
27th May 2009, 05:30 PM
At a guess - since I don't have any maps of the Highlands - it is Beinn a'Chaorainn.

Mission accomplished! :)

Well done, but how did you manage it without a map - Google?

eunosben

As Gwyver mentioned the Garmin series I consulted the Garmin feature comparison* (http://www8.garmin.com/products/comparison.jsp?products=010-00190-00&products=010-00212-00&products=010-00256-00&products=010-00225-00&products=010-00243-00&products=010-00190-40&banner=/graphics/outdoorPIC.jpg) matrix and noticed some of the models have an electronic compass. Your position plus a compass reading would give you precise identification. Some of the more expensive Garmin models have maps which would make it even easier.

* The feature comparison is for the US models but I believe the UK models are similar but with UK maps.

Gwyver
27th May 2009, 08:58 PM
Mission accomplished! :)

Well done, but how did you manage it without a map - Google?

eunosben

As Gwyver mentioned the Garmin series I consulted the Garmin feature comparison* (http://www8.garmin.com/products/comparison.jsp?products=010-00190-00&products=010-00212-00&products=010-00256-00&products=010-00225-00&products=010-00243-00&products=010-00190-40&banner=/graphics/outdoorPIC.jpg) matrix and noticed some of the models have an electronic compass. Your position plus a compass reading would give you precise identification. Some of the more expensive Garmin models have maps which would make it even easier.

* The feature comparison is for the US models but I believe the UK models are similar but with UK maps.

Thanks.
I used a combination of:- the online Get-A-Map feature on the OS website, GoogleEarth, and noticing the lengthy hill shadows on your photo and guessing that you probably took this in the evening (rather than early in the morning) - hence the sun was in the west and so you were facing roughly northwards.

BTW, the electronic compass feature is basically just a fallback, in case the GPS temporarily loses satellite reception - as used to occur with earlier models when under heavy tree cover. The compass headings are not recorded in the track log. Some folk reckon that if they set the track log recording interval to a 1 second they can deduce the bearing by calculation between successive log entries. This technique is optimistic and very error prone.
Regards,

fitheach
27th May 2009, 10:22 PM
I used a combination of:- the online Get-A-Map feature on the OS website, GoogleEarth, and noticing the lengthy hill shadows on your photo and guessing that you probably took this in the evening (rather than early in the morning) - hence the sun was in the west and so you were facing roughly northwards.

"Elementary, my dear Watson"