PDA

View Full Version : some help please

SkinHead
25th May 2009, 11:34 AM
hello everyone!
i recently got hold of my Sigma 105mm EX DG macro lens and it has been brilliant in the last 3 weeks until today: my camera(e510) suddenly cant detect the lens, hence there's no way i can use AF as well as no way of changing the aperture values. it does work and can take pictures manually however i have no clue as to what aperture setting it is.
when i changed lenses, it worked just fine, so i am sure that its my sigma lens thats playing up. i bought this in the US, is there any chance the warranty will be honored here in the UK. tried brushing and cleaning the contact points, still nothing happened. i havent dropped the lens whatsoever. Has anyone have a similar experience with the lens?
thanks
jude

StephenL
25th May 2009, 12:32 PM
Unfortunately Sigma UK seem to have a policy of only observing the warranty on UK-sourced lenses. It's worth asking them though.

ringneck
25th May 2009, 03:46 PM
I think this might be the same problem that has been discussed at length on here and probably the 4/3rds site as well...and what I have been having with both my 500 and 510 with the kit lenses and the sigma 105 and 135-400.
If I remember rightly people have said that OLYMPUS know of the problem and presumely they are working on it.
My opinion is OLYMPUS should stop bringing out updated after updated cameras that are virtually the same as the last one (evolution I suppose) and get to grips with this problem as when I am using mine with say Canon users with me I feel really embarrased when I have to keep turning the power off and on again which sends the lens to infinity and I can start focussing again.

When I am asked about how my OLYMPUS system is I can brag about the "no dust on sensor" but when I tell them about this trouble they look at me and say that it's too late to swop to another system as I have invested too much by now.

It is a right pain at times and as I like shooting wildlife I really struggle and feel I have been S*** on from a real height.
Sorry to hear your having the same trouble.
Keith*chr

Barrie Norman
25th May 2009, 04:59 PM
Jude

If the camera works Ok with other lenses then it seem as if the problem is with the lens, but first try the factory reset in the menu some times this may resolve a problem, you will have to re-do your personal settings after but this may just resolve the problem, I have a similar problem with one of my E500's but the trouble here is that I fitted a AF confirm chip to one of my legacy lenes ant it was not fitted correctly and I bent the pins in the camera, by pressing the lens release button it kicks it back into life, it is just a pin that sticks and with movement of the camera goes open circuit and the lens is dead. despite the other comments Olympus are good cameras, I have been using them for over 30 years, If this fails I would find some one near you who has an Oly to try out the lens before contacting sigma, they should honour the warranty.

SkinHead
26th May 2009, 08:27 AM
just an update:
i have phoned Sigma UK and they have advised me that if i can show that i have paid VAT and duty on it, they will honor the warranty. Since i bought it online from the US and had it hand-carried by a friend, i don't think i have paid for taxes. the quote on my lens to fix the fault is 79.99 inc return delivery, could be more could be less.
now:
1. what if they cant fix the fault, i would have paid the fee all the same but wont be covered for replacement if need be, am i right?

2. is there any way i can pay for VAT and duty retroactively?

The other option i have is to send the lens to the US, i think the only cost i have to pay is postage, around 50 inc return of the lens. With this option, i can be assured that they will replace the lens if the fault is beyond repair.

any thoughts on these?

thanks

dbutch
26th May 2009, 08:43 AM
Hi

The problem you are describing sounds like the issue you can get if you press the lens release when making up, my guess then is a possibly electrical contact issue. I would try giving the lens contacts a gentle clean before sending the lens off.

Dave

Barrie Norman
26th May 2009, 09:06 AM
If you bought the lens on line and had it delivered to a US address you would have paid tax in the US, this would be the same as some of my items as I have worked in the US I have bought items over there and paid the US tax and not paid any import taxes as I have used the item over there, this is a technicality, but the warranty should be honoured, you may however have to send the item back to the USA but I think Sigma should be able to help or at least give advice.

Barrie

SkinHead
27th May 2009, 06:45 AM
i am now awaiting response from HMRC if they can apply custom duties for transactions done in the past. i know it seems odd for someone asking to be taxed,:eek: its the only way the warranty would be accepted. It would set me back a bit more if i send the lens back to the US then and be charged with custom charges and taxes plus the shipping costs for its way back in the UK. :confused:
by the way, this started when i was in the middle of shooting a bee in my back garden; i was on AF trying to chase the bee when it stopped responding. I actually have taken a few shots of the bee before it went pfffft.
i also contacted Sigma US and they have advised to contact their UK counterpart.:(
thanks

Melaka
27th May 2009, 07:20 AM
By the time you've paid VAT and import duty it may come to nearly as much as Sigma are going to charge anyway. If there really is a defect it may be better to bite the bullet and pay the repair cost. It's the sort of risk you take when you import things at a price lower than you'd pay here.

PeterD
27th May 2009, 07:27 AM
just an update:
i have phoned Sigma UK and they have advised me that if i can show that i have paid VAT and duty on it, they will honor the warranty. Since i bought it online from the US and had it hand-carried by a friend, i don't think i have paid for taxes. the quote on my lens to fix the fault is 79.99 inc return delivery, could be more could be less.
now:
1. what if they cant fix the fault, i would have paid the fee all the same but wont be covered for replacement if need be, am i right?

2. is there any way i can pay for VAT and duty retroactively?

The other option i have is to send the lens to the US, i think the only cost i have to pay is postage, around 50 inc return of the lens. With this option, i can be assured that they will replace the lens if the fault is beyond repair.

any thoughts on these?

thanks

Good morning Jude
Perhaps my experience might help re - what happens if they cannot fix it?

I dropped my Bigma lens (so it was not covered by warranty) and paid a fixed price to have it repaired. When I got it back, I had focussing problems:eek:
I returned it to them and they confirmed the fault. Because I had paid for the repair and it was faulty afterwards they have sent it to Japan to get a full check and repair all foc under the repair warranty. I expect a fully working lens back, whatever they find.

Peter

SkinHead
27th May 2009, 10:44 AM
Melaka: Thanks for the input. paying for the repair would more or less be the same as paying for the VAT and duty. the advantage of paying for VAT is that i could take full use of the warranty, not only for repairs but also for possible replacement. i have rang HMRC and told me to write a letter to an office that deals with VAT and customs duty, which i think will take more time. i might just send it to sigma uk straight away.

Peter D: U have just increased my hopes...*yes i might do the same and keep my fingers crossed that they can fix the fault...if not, the actual US warranty runs for 4 years so i have a lot of time to send the lens through a friend or bring it personally over, hopefully in less than a year's time.

thank you all for the input...i would have to put a hold on my macro photography for a while.

peace!