PDA

View Full Version : Dye Sub Printers

MattMoore
20th May 2009, 03:43 PM
Hi all,
I'm looking to print some photos to put into an album of the holiday I've just been on. I've had a quick look round google, and it seems a dye subprinter would be the best thing for me to get, I have a reasonable ink jet photo printer, but I've never been happy with the quality of it.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent dye sub printer?
6 x 4 would be okay, but I would like 7 x 5 if I can get it.

Matt

sapper
20th May 2009, 06:12 PM
Try this site.
http://www.systeminsight.co.uk/

photo_owl
20th May 2009, 07:29 PM
I use the little Oly ps100 unit for 'insta' print' bits as I never have to worry about clogged jets and empty cartridges on the IJ units (despite loads of paper and ink it has a long standing problem with one jet that won't clear).

Nice punchy results everytime - great for the size.

If you want 5x7 (or 6x8 which are perfect imo) then it's another unit.

Dave's link is a usefull reference

DerekW
23rd May 2009, 01:45 PM
Matt
OK I know you asked for info on dye sub printers but the reason you wanted one for the quantities you are going to be printing it is going to be quite an expensive solution - unless you are planning to go in for event photography or have taken pictures that you need to keep private.

The printing of the images will also require a degree of supervision.

An online photo lab eg www.photobox.com can supply you with prints for a cheaper price just for the effort of FTPing the files to the lab. The prints then arrive by post in a day or two. If you examine the costs of prints and buy print credits or print large volumes of prints you can get prices much lower than shown on the systeninsight web site.

MattMoore
23rd May 2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the info so far guys, I've seen that website, but was looking for individual recommendations.
Derek, I've looked into sending the photos out, but I've got 3 or 4 holidays worth of photos that I'd like to print, so for me I think the outlay for a printer is worth it.

DerekW
23rd May 2009, 10:51 PM
I do not know if your holiday pic quantities are like mine - but 3 or 4 holidays worth of pics would be approaching 2000 prints.

Quite a long print time (25 to 28 hours printing on a Dye Sub printer) whereas Photobox would print them at their cheapest rate - 5p per print compared to the cheapest Dye sub print cost of 11p (plus the capital cost of the machine)

However if you think that you can get revenue from the machine then it is a different situation.