PDA

View Full Version : Lens Firmware update

PaulE
19th May 2009, 04:43 PM
It seems to have been missed here so far so thought I'd mention it...

Four lens firmware updates released today...

ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 90-250mm F2.8 --- Ver 1.2
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 --- Ver 1.3
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 18-180mm F3.5-6.3 --- Ver1.2
ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 8mm F3.5 Fisheye --- Ver1.1

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/

I'm guessing the 70-300 update will be the most popular with members here, I've just done mine and no problems it's to early to tell if it's improved anything on the E410/E510 but according to the info it Resolved unstable sequential shooting when using C-AF on the E-3 and E-30. no mention of it benefiting other models but it certainly can't do no harm to keep everything up to date either.

RogerMac
19th May 2009, 05:47 PM
I have checked the 70-300 status on the UK site and it is still at ver1.2

Also when I updated to 1.2 recently there was a problem (probably with the wireless link that I was using) which stopped the update before it was complete and the lens had to go back to Oly so I am waiting until I need that update before I apply it.

Roger

PaulE
19th May 2009, 06:03 PM
I have checked the 70-300 status on the UK site and it is still at ver1.2

Also when I updated to 1.2 recently there was a problem (probably with the wireless link that I was using) which stopped the update before it was complete and the lens had to go back to Oly so I am waiting until I need that update before I apply it.

Roger

Plug your camera in and use Olympus Master / Studio and you'll see that the update applies to the UK too, I guess those in charge of the UK site are just a little slow with updating it.

It's unfortunate that you had a problem with your firmware update previously it's due in part to Olympus's insistance on using the webupdate method rather than downloading to CF card etc that said as you have said the wireless connection could well have been to blame, not sure why there isn't any kind of recommendation from Olympus to use a wired connection for updates as your story is not the first I've heard of where flaky wireless connections have been blamed.

I also read a while ago that there are a few people making some headway on reverse enginering the firmware update process and hinted that one day update via downloading to CF card may well be possible - even if Olympus won't provide that option themselves. If this does happen Olympus might well change their opinion as I can see it becoming quite popular with the ultra cautious owners out there.

benvendetta
19th May 2009, 07:47 PM
We will all benefit from the upgrade for the 90-250 won't we? ;-)

DerekC
19th May 2009, 09:00 PM

I will let you know I bought a 90-250 recently, but Olympus has had it since the 16th 0f April. It wouldn't constant AF. They say it needs parts which are due at the end of this week? If it is repaired as per there time scale my lens will have had a six week hol in Portugal. I'm very dissapionted with the service. They had the cheek to offer to lend me a 40-150! But it will be update to the latest version wow!

Derek C

skyman1
19th May 2009, 09:02 PM

only wish i could afford one :[

benvendetta
19th May 2009, 09:07 PM
My E-3 had two holidays in quick succession in Portugal last year before the LCD screen was fixed. I too was not impressed at the time. And no I don't have the 90-250 but I would love to be able to hire one. Come on Oly get the SHG Zuikos out for rental here in the UK!

I will let you know I bought a 90-250 recently, but Olympus has had it since the 16th 0f April. It wouldn't constant AF. They say it needs parts which are due at the end of this week? If it is repaired as per there time scale my lens will have had a six week hol in Portugal. I'm very dissapionted with the service. They had the cheek to offer to lend me a 40-150! But it will be update to the latest version wow!

Derek C