PDA

View Full Version : Photo Resizing Software

stevednp3
19th May 2009, 09:19 AM
Hi All

Can anyone recommend a simple and easy to use resizing software for a batch of images, ideally resizing a source folder of images to a new folder

I would like to resize batches of wedding photos I take to around 800x600 so that I can upload to a client area on my website for approval.

I have tried using the batch process in photoshop, but it always seams to mess things up and can never work out the difference between a portrait or landscape and then makes a right mess of my photos and once over wrote my original photos, so I dont trust that process anymore.

Thanks in advance

Steve

snaarman
19th May 2009, 09:36 AM
Hmm. I have had met the same problems with PS Elements and its batch resize. In general it does a good job, but I have to manually sort the landscape from the portrait shots (put them in different folders).

I just checked and XnView will do this. Seems to me XnView will do anything if you look far enough, browse for images, handles RAW, resizes, batch rename, make web pages, make slide shows etc etc etc.. and its free. However it tends to get dismissed amongst the knowledgable for some reason :-)

So, in Xnview you highlight your pictures, select Batch Processing. Select Resize. Set the new size as (say 800 x 800) but tick the "Keep ratio" and "Follow orientation" boxes. Lanndscape and portrait are preserved and resized as you require. Worked for me..

Pete

Nick Temple-Fry
19th May 2009, 10:08 AM
IRFANVIEW

http://www.irfanview.net/

Has an extensive batch resize option (which can also generate thumbnails and web pages) - the initial screen for batch can be a little challenging but it works very reliably and quickly.

Again it is 'free', though if used commercially you really should make a donation.

Nick

stevednp3
19th May 2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks both, those 2 look like just want I needed and the XnView is great as they have a MAC OSX version as well as windows.

I'll test both out tonight and post back, thanks again your life savers !!!!

Wreckdiver
19th May 2009, 11:09 AM
In Photoshop you need to use File>Scripts>Image processor, not File>Automate>Batch.

In section 3 select "Save as JPEG" and "Resize to fit". Enter a quality value (0 - 12) and enter the width and height dimensions. You have to process all horizontal images in one run and then all vertical images in a second run.

I use it extensively and it always gets it right.

Steve

stevednp3
19th May 2009, 02:04 PM
Hey Steve

Thanks very much, I feel so silly I have been using photoshop for years and didnt know how to do it that way, I had been using the batch process via a stored action.

Oh man, doh !

But hey thats great it works perfectly, thanks for everyones help !!!!

Steve

shenstone
19th May 2009, 08:13 PM
My vote is for faststone http://www.faststone.org/download.htm

There are 2 versions the full Photo viewer that includes a very powerful photo resizer and handles all Oly Raw formats easily or if you need just a lightweight app then just take the resizer app on it's own

I've used this ever since I got into digital and it's never failed me or dissapointed me with it's results

Oh and it's free !

Regards
Andy

Dick Bowman
20th May 2009, 06:32 AM
Does XnView handle .ORF files? I couldn't find them in the formats list.

snaarman
20th May 2009, 07:15 AM

Yes (well it con browse them no problem).

Personally I set up the Alt-1 key combination to jump from Xnview to Photoshop elements - so the selected image gets opened with the ACR plugin thingy. I will carry out a test within Xnview and get back to you..

Pete

DekHog
20th May 2009, 11:42 AM
Microsoft Powertoys Image Resizer (http://pcwizkid.blogspot.com/2008/08/windows-vista-free-image-resizer.html) (For Vista) - select images; right-click, and resize is in the context menu.

It doesn't get any simpler or easier - not even a program to open to do it.

snaarman
20th May 2009, 01:09 PM

The general answer to - "does Xnview do xxx"? seems to be yes.. I told it to resize an ORF file which it did, though (reasonably) it converted it to a jpeg output file.

I am sure the Xnview results are excellent, but I will stick to using Elements for this process however..

Pete

Paulpp
20th May 2009, 09:43 PM
I use Aperture and it has the handy function of being able to "fit" within a particular size e.g. 800x800 and it then fits the longest side to 800 and adjusts the other side to whatever lower figure keeps the same aspect ratio.

oly_om
20th May 2009, 10:04 PM
I use Aperture and it has the handy function of being able to "fit" within a particular size e.g. 800x800 and it then fits the longest side to 800 and adjusts the other side to whatever lower figure keeps the same aspect ratio.

Lightroom can do this too (in the export options) - very useful - you can set up several presets, for example, I have one for posting on the forums.

Andy