PDA

View Full Version : Camera equipment valuation

Kiwi Paul
18th May 2009, 10:59 AM
Hi guys,

I've got insurance for my equipment but don't have purchase receipts for some of it and I need to get that stuff valued to prove ownership.

I'm in Aberdeen and the only camera store is Jessops but they don't do valuations does anyone know who does valuations or what I could do?

Cheers,

Paul

sapper
18th May 2009, 02:32 PM
When I insured mine recently I just got an average from looking at prices from different companies. The company didn't need proof of ownership, I just told them what I had.

EH1
18th May 2009, 02:57 PM
When I got insurance I was`nt asked for proof of ownership! I would just try insuring with a different company!*yes

Wreckdiver
18th May 2009, 03:12 PM
All my Olympus gear is registered on the Olympus website in my personal data area and I update it whenever I purchase new equipment. Although not proof that you actually own anything it is a useful facility to keep track of what you own, date and price purchased and serial numbers.

Go to: http://www.olympus-pro.com/en/pro/data.html

Steve

photo_owl
18th May 2009, 05:59 PM
I do the same as Steve - it's quite a useful record.

Valuation and proof of ownership are completely disconnected - which is why you are going to get a number of different comments in response to your question.

Generally purchase receipts, credit card statements or waranty papers represent a level of evidence of ownership. The first two also represent 'purchase price'

Valuations are extremely easy for items currently on sale, and insurance companies will generally replace with the latest nearest matched model if there is any 'argument'.

Wreckdiver
18th May 2009, 06:08 PM
and insurance companies will generally replace with the latest nearest matched model if there is any 'argument'.

I recently had a mis-hap with my 50-200mm (original one) and claimed on my house insurance. I received the new 50-200mm SWD within 3 days without any hassle.

Steve

yorky
19th May 2009, 09:53 AM
Which company did you use, I am at present with The Halifax but think I ought to change? and yes, i do live in Halifax?

Wreckdiver
19th May 2009, 11:15 AM
Which company did you use, I am at present with The Halifax but think I ought to change? and yes, i do live in Halifax?

I am insured through Direct Line.

Steve

yorky
20th May 2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks for that.

Kiwi Paul
20th May 2009, 10:14 AM
When I got insurance I was`nt asked for proof of ownership! I would just try insuring with a different company!*yes

They asked what equipment you want to insure and you fill out the form and they don't ask for proof of ownership then but in the policy it states receipts must be provided for any claim, I spoke to them and they said a valuation would suffice in the absence of receipts.

So it's not untill you claim that they may want proof.

Cheers,

Paul