PDA

View Full Version : What have I bought?

mike_j
17th May 2009, 08:35 PM
I put a casual bid in on a OM 50mm f3.5 macro to test my new ebay software and found to my surprise that I won it - 41

Any comments on this lens? I only want it for macro, probably always on a bellows so manual focus and manual aperture is fine.

David M
17th May 2009, 08:56 PM
I put a casual bid in on a OM 50mm f3.5 macro to test my new ebay software and found to my surprise that I won it - 41

Any comments on this lens? I only want it for macro, probably always on a bellows so manual focus and manual aperture is fine.

It's a good lens but having used/owned three I found significant sample variation.

One was *chr, one was t-dwn and my sample was t-up

Just remember to fully extend the focussing when on a bellows as it has floating elements.

Paulpp
17th May 2009, 09:10 PM
MVX have (on eBay) a 50mm f/3.5 macro lens for 295 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

photo_owl
17th May 2009, 09:49 PM
one of those lenses that the FF boys like and seems to have a degree of hype.

I like mine but it's not even close to the 50/2 - so it remains on my OM bellows for the foreseeable future

oly_om
17th May 2009, 10:04 PM
The one I had was extremely sharp - a late MC version. Yours is fairly late (223685 - based on the pictures in the last 50mm f3.5 to go for 41 on ebay!) and multicoated (despite it not saying 'MC'), so should be a good one.

Andy

mike_j
18th May 2009, 10:41 AM
Andy,

Thank for for the info. It always seems difficult to get any meaning out of OM serial numers, unlike leica which are completely identifiable.

I look forward to trying it, at present I'm using a reversed OM 50mm f1.8 on the bellows but I think this may serve better.

Xpres
18th May 2009, 11:01 AM
Depending on your 50/1.8 - there is a lot a variation on those from very good to exceptional - you might find it better than the 50/3.5.
One day I'll get a OM 50/2 but they are so... so expensive. :( sometimes more than the digi version.