PDA

View Full Version : Whats in your camera Bag?

Garrie
8th January 2008, 09:05 AM
Hi all,

Thought I would introduce this post after seeing it on any site, gets people talking :)

I have this lot crammed into my Tamrac Adventure 6 -

Olympus E510
Zuiko 14-42mm
Zuiko 40-150mm (mk1)
Hanimex TZ1 (fire via wireless of camera)
Sony HD8 Filter
Hoya circling polarizer Filter
Lens Hoods
Cleaning cloths
2 Spare batteries
Remote cable
Spare contact lenses lol
Manfrotto Modo attached to the bottom of the bag via lash straps

I'll need a bigger bag for when I get my 70 - 300 and 35mm Macro Zuiko's

Cheers
Garrie

PeterD
8th January 2008, 11:11 AM
Hi all,

Thought I would introduce this post after seeing it on any site, gets people talking :)

I have this lot crammed into my Tamrac Adventure 6 -

Olympus E510
Zuiko 14-42mm
Zuiko 40-150mm (mk1)
Hanimex TZ1 (fire via wireless of camera)
Sony HD8 Filter
Hoya circling polarizer Filter
Lens Hoods
Cleaning cloths
2 Spare batteries
Remote cable
Spare contact lenses lol
Manfrotto Modo attached to the bottom of the bag via lash straps

I'll need a bigger bag for when I get my 70 - 300 and 35mm Macro Zuiko's

Cheers
Garrie

Garrie, you will need a much bigger bag when you upgrade to an E3. I guess the offer bag will be big enough:D

Now I wonder when that will arrive?:(

Kind regards

PeterD

R MacE
8th January 2008, 11:12 AM
Ok, I use a Dakine Sequence to carry,

E-3 + 14-54
11-22
50-200
EC 1.4

Cokin RO-9 Filter Pouch containing;
3 Cokin ND Grads, 3 Cokin ND, 67 & 72mm Adaptors, 67>72 Step-Up Ring, MF-1 (copy), 72mm Hoya Screw-in Polarising Filter.

Cokin P Series Adaptor with Cap

Weston Master V + Invercone

WhiBal

Microfiber Cloth
3 x Spare batteries (copies)
RM-1 Remote
RM-CB1 Remote (copy)
Hot Shoe Spirit Level
Mini Multi-Tool
2 x Spare CF Cards (2Gb & 1Gb, 2Gb in Camera)

Cleaning Stuff;

Lens Cloth
Small Lens Pen
Standard Lens Pen
Cheap Blower
ProPhot Wipes

Rucksack Cover
Lightweight Waterproof Trousers and Cycle Jacket
Neoprene Fishing Gloves (fold Back fingers)

Velbon CF 631 Pro Tripod c/w Giottos MH-1001 Ball-Head.

Other stuff that I don't usually need, FL-50, Flash leads, Wireless Triggers, HLD-4 Battery Grip, Reflectors, Radio Shutter Release, various other lens adapters etc, etc stay in a Tamrac Pro 8 gadget bag.

In complete contrast to the 'Everything but the kitchen sink' approach sometimes I just take the E-3 +11-22 in a CCS Kangaroo Pouch and the Filter Pouch plus 2 spare batteries and 2x Spare CF Cards. Again with the Velbon tripod.

I still have space for an EC-2.0, if I go for the 70-300 instead then I'll carry it or the 50-200 depending on circumstances.

Porkpie
8th January 2008, 05:42 PM
Simple answer from me - Nothing.My Free Olympus camera bag is still in its plastic wrapper.(Offers Anyone?):confused:

Jim Ford
8th January 2008, 07:18 PM
Simple answer from me - Nothing.My Free Olympus camera bag is still in its plastic wrapper.(Offers Anyone?):confused:

Hmm - I'm looking for a new bag as my Lowepro Slingshot 100 I bought for my E500 won't take my E3 + bits.

Would you consider a swap?

Jim Ford

Barr1e
8th January 2008, 07:30 PM
I'm desperate for a new bag. I just can't make up my mind which.

It needs to take E-510, twin lens kit, EC-14, 70-300, Fuji E-900 plus all the spares one carries.

I had thought of the Slingshot 200 but some folk thought I would be better off elsewhere.

Suggestions folks please - an all weather one would be helpful.

Regards. Barr1e

Edit - plus monopod (sometimes).

Chillimonster
8th January 2008, 07:41 PM
Depends which bag :)

The 'small' bag (Crumpler) usually just has the E-3, 12-60, EX-14, and 500D close up filter (77mm and step ring).

Covers most eventualities.

The Big bag approach is usually the E-3, 12-60, EX-14, and 500D close up filter (77mm and step ring), plus the FL-50R, and either the Sigma 150mm Macro (New arrival this week) or the 70-300mm depending what i am shooting.

But i think the 70-300m will be being sold next week as the 150mm Macro and 1.4 perform well together.

Hiding_Pup
8th January 2008, 08:17 PM
Never the same combo twice! It's most fun to decide on the day! This morning: E-400, 14-42mm, Olympus Zuiko 50mm f1.4, Jupiter 9 85mm f2, two batteries.

It's a small bag.

BigD
8th January 2008, 09:00 PM
i have the tarmac expidition 5,
it contains my e500,
the 2 kit lense's ,

an old Kiron / KINO 80-200mm f4.5 MACRO om mount to 4/3rd which isnt to bad tbh.

2 lense hoods.
a spare battrey(copy).
infra red remote copy.
some cheap macro lenses which are rubbish tbh.
a very mini tripod.
car charger.
hoya uv filter.

and i have a minolta tripod my dad lent me ages ago :cool:.

just added 2x sandisk 2gb extreme cards, and a nd grad filter.

Vokesie
9th January 2008, 12:47 PM
In my Lowpro AW trekker I have

E-3
E-500
HLD-4 battery grip

ZD 17.5-45 f3.5-5.6
ZD 14-54 f2.8-3.5
ZD 50-200 f2.8-3.5
ZM 50mm f1.8
Sig 30mm f1.4

FL-36 Flash

Fox close up & Macro Lens +1,+2 +4 & +10

Cokin Defuser filter, Polariser filter & warming filter

8 x 300mAh Rechargeable batteries

5 x BLM-1 batteries/equivelent

2x 4GB Extreme IV Cards
1x 4GB Extreme III Card
2X 2GB Ultra II Cards

2 x Lens Cloth

Velbon CX 660 Tripod

Solution 30 Lens Cleaner

Business Cards

Copy of insurance certificate

Barr1e
9th January 2008, 03:28 PM
In my Lowpro AW trekker I have

E-3
E-500
HLD-4 battery grip

ZD 17.5-45 f3.5-5.6
ZD 14-54 f2.8-3.5
ZD 50-200 f2.8-3.5
ZM 50mm f1.8
Sig 30mm f1.4

FL-36 Flash

8 x 300mAh Rechargeable batteries

2x 4GB Extreme IV Cards
1x 4GB Extreme III Card
2X 2GB Ultra II Cards

2 x Lens Cloth

Velbon CX 660 Tripod

Solution 30 Lens Cleaner

Business Cards

Copy of insurance certificate

Hi Vokesie -

Is that the Mini Trekker AW please?

Regards Barr1e

sapper
9th January 2008, 04:44 PM
AW 300 BAG.
Depends but usually the following.
E-3
12-60mm lens
7-14mm lens
50-200mm lens
FL 50
Remote release
Cokin holder & filters, polariser, ND grads.
Spare memory cards
Spare batteries
Tripod in boot of motor.
Dave

Vokesie
9th January 2008, 09:59 PM
Hi Vokesie -

Is that the Mini Trekker AW please?

Regards Barr1e

yes it is its a bit of a squeeze in there but it is ok

Barr1e
9th January 2008, 10:06 PM
yes it is its a bit of a squeeze in there but it is ok

Many thanks.

Regards. Barr1e

art frames
9th January 2008, 10:18 PM
mmm! So far no flasks and sandwiches you must all photograph near to a pub! :)

I have the big slingshot 300 which will take virtually everything I have. It is huge. But then you can't lift it when it is full. So I'm no longer filling it.

So I tend to put in two bodies one with the 50/200 for birds and mammals and the other with a 105 sigma macro for butterflies/flowers and then put a couple of lenses in for random situations 12-60 and 50 macro. Plus the EX25 extension rings. Batteries, cards and a water bottle. I want a really long lens for birds soon.

I tend to use a monopod and not a tripod in the countryside and that gets carried sometimes with a camera on... plus binoculars.

To be honest the way I look after walking a few miles with that lot I'm not welcomed in pubs.:)

Peter

PeterD
9th January 2008, 10:45 PM
mmm! So far no flasks and sandwiches you must all photograph near to a pub! :)

I have the big slingshot 300 which will take virtually everything I have. It is huge. But then you can't lift it when it is full. So I'm no longer filling it.

So I tend to put in two bodies one with the 50/200 for birds and mammals and the other with a 105 sigma macro for butterflies/flowers and then put a couple of lenses in for random situations 12-60 and 50 macro. Plus the EX25 extension rings. Batteries, cards and a water bottle. I want a really long lens for birds soon.

I tend to use a monopod and not a tripod in the countryside and that gets carried sometimes with a camera on... plus binoculars.

To be honest the way I look after walking a few miles with that lot I'm not welcomed in pubs.:)

Peter

Hey Peter,

Have you thought about using a seond hand pram to carry everything. That way you can fill up your bag again and they may welcome you at pubs just to satisfy their need for something to talk about;) Only joking, honestly:D

PeterD

art frames
9th January 2008, 10:49 PM
Hey Peter,

Have you thought about using a seond hand pram to carry everything. That way you can fill up your bag again and they may welcome you at pubs just to satisfy their need for something to talk about;) Only joking, honestly:D

PeterD

I could get more sandwiches in as well :D

Haisbro
10th January 2008, 10:15 AM
I could get more sandwiches in as well :D

Talking of 'which' on a little dawn trip to Horsey seal colony yesterday i had a toasted brie sandwich in the bag.( cold unfortunately) Its amazing how long the Xmas food lasts for !

H

PeterD
10th January 2008, 10:28 AM
Talking of 'which' on a little dawn trip to Horsey seal colony yesterday i had a toasted brie sandwich in the bag.( cold unfortunately) Its amazing how long the Xmas food lasts for !

H

Phew. Obviously no ill effects. The bread could not have been too good though;)

Kind regards

PeterD

art frames
10th January 2008, 10:37 AM
Phew. Obviously no ill effects. The bread could not have been too good though;)

Kind regards

PeterD

Thank you - I haven't laughed so much for days. :D:D

The humour is improving on this site all of the time even if is at the expense of a genuine gourmet who takes the fine art of sandwich making seriously. ;)

Haisbro
10th January 2008, 04:48 PM
Its strange though isn't when you are waiting for dawn, its a bit grey and things aren't turning out as you had hoped, soft toast isn't quite that bad. I wanted to use my new EC20 + 50-200 with the E3 but too dull so IS couldn't cope.:rolleyes:

Still its a location i haven't been to at this time of the year and i saw other ideas for images so another day perhaps. Last pup born on New Years Day. Keep this in mind for next year

H

art frames
10th January 2008, 05:03 PM
Its strange though isn't when you are waiting for dawn, its a bit grey and things aren't turning out as you had hoped, soft toast isn't quite that bad. I wanted to use my new EC20 + 50-200 with the E3 but too dull so IS couldn't cope.:rolleyes:

Still its a location i haven't been to at this time of the year and i saw other ideas for images so another day perhaps. Last pup born on New Years Day. Keep this in mind for next year

H

H

I know the anguish that packing equipment can bring on. Do I take a tripod to shoot at dawn or do I take sandwiches...? it is a tough call for us all :D

I'll leave it to PeterD to came up with a real smart-ass comment but for me it was marginally the wrong call on this occasion :D

Seriously though I have ordered a 2.0 teleconverter and would love to see some shots with the 50-200 if you have managed to get any since. :)

I've only managed to get close to grey seals in a boat, so I wish you luck with the stalking

Peter

Haisbro
10th January 2008, 07:03 PM
H

I know the anguish that packing equipment can bring on. Do I take a tripod to shoot at dawn or do I take sandwiches...? it is a tough call for us all :D

I'll leave it to PeterD to came up with a real smart-ass comment but for me it was marginally the wrong call on this occasion :D

Seriously though I have ordered a 2.0 teleconverter and would love to see some shots with the 50-200 if you have managed to get any since. :)

I've only managed to get close to grey seals in a boat, so I wish you luck with the stalking

Peter

Try here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56583857@N00/?saved=1

H

art frames
10th January 2008, 07:22 PM
Try here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56583857@N00/?saved=1

H

Wow. I'm keen for the stock to come in now. The sharpness is more than I expected.

I had a look at the rest of the site and loved the lighthouse by lunar light. Such a lovely sky.

Peter

Haisbro
10th January 2008, 07:39 PM
Thanks for that, the images were more or less straight out of the camera. I thought the camera coped well with other images which included lots of sky.

H

art frames
10th January 2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks for that, the images were more or less straight out of the camera. I thought the camera coped well with other images which included lots of sky.

H

Just a thought why not post them here? I'd like to see more. You haven't got much here yet... and I think the quality is better than with Flickr.

P

Haisbro
11th January 2008, 07:08 AM
I drop in to a couple of other sites and it seemed easier to link back to the Flikr site when discussing cameras etc. Plus I'm new here so just getting used to people etc.

H

Who's_E
11th January 2008, 07:56 PM
My Dakine Heli-Pro skiing rucsack now has been upgraded to contain:

Tamrac shoulder bag with:

Old 40-150mm
8mm fisheye
EC-14
My E1 with the battery grip
BLM-1 battery
Circular polariser
Canon IXUS 60 for 35-105mm (I don't use short zooms any more)
Cleaning bits, cards et cetera

The whole ensemble is in the bag with the added hard protection of the avalanche shovel on the outside. This is an untested combination but I am sure it is better than the old solution of wrapping lenses in a ski-sock (smelly towards the end of a holiday!) and the camera in a t-shirt in a small bag.

Oh, piece de resistance: I have superglued an old tripod screw thing to a ski pole to make a monopod ;)

Photos of extreme-ish skiing (and my broken limbs) coming soon.

N

BigD
11th January 2008, 08:40 PM
Oh, piece de resistance: I have superglued an old tripod screw thing to a ski pole to make a monopod ;)

lol sounds bodgetastic :D

photonutter
28th February 2008, 06:36 PM
You may be supprised what you can get onto a slingshot 300aw.
1 olympus E500 with 14-42, 14-54, and 45-150mm lenses and fujifim 0.8x adaptor
1 fujifilm S9500 bridge camera with a raynox dcr220 pro 2.2x adaptor, 0.8x wide olympus adaptor.
1 fl50 flashgun and a helios one to boot, with two slave cubes.
16 AA batteries and 2 bml1's.
Then there's a multy slot usb card reader with 8 compact flash and 4 XD memory cards.
Two gorrilla pods, sometimes used for the flash guns, and a chest support pod, handy with the long lens.
Then there's the glass, 12 grads, 2 polarising, 3 nd, and the odd star filters.
A set of vignettes, 2 cleaning cloths, a double sided reflector and usb cables for the cameras.

Oh and a hot shoe spirit level.

E-P1 fan
28th February 2008, 06:57 PM
If necessary my Oly E-System rucksack holds everything -
E-1,
35mm Macro,
40 - 150mm kit zoom,
4 extension tubes,
OM 50mm,
OM 135mm, V
ivitar 2X teleconverter,
battery charger,
BLM-1
Grey market battery
Straps
Monopod connector
FL-36 plus filters
Table-top tripod sometimes
Wallet
Mobile phone
Basic E-1 user guide.

But the interior is infinitely adjustable so will change as the contents change

Barr1e
28th February 2008, 07:00 PM
You may be supprised what you can get onto a slingshot 300aw.
1 olympus E500 with 14-42, 14-54, and 45-150mm lenses and fujifim 0.8x adaptor
1 fujifilm S9500 bridge camera with a raynox dcr220 pro 2.2x adaptor, 0.8x wide olympus adaptor.
1 fl50 flashgun and a helios one to boot, with two slave cubes.
16 AA batteries and 2 bml1's.
Then there's a multy slot usb card reader with 8 compact flash and 4 XD memory cards.
Two gorrilla pods, sometimes used for the flash guns, and a chest support pod, handy with the long lens.
Then there's the glass, 12 grads, 2 polarising, 3 nd, and the odd star filters.
A set of vignettes, 2 cleaning cloths, a double sided reflector and usb cables for the cameras.

Oh and a hot shoe spirit level.

What a great camera the S9500 is/was. Once you got over the learning curve it produced great images - it taught me so much re settings etc.
I was going to sell it but as I love it so much (I love my E-510 almost more than Anne) it sits in pride of place amongst my other cameras.

Are you a big chap carrying all that equipment in your Slingshot 300?

Regards. Barr1e

photonutter
28th February 2008, 07:59 PM
Could say so Barrie, 6'2" and built like the proverbial. Must admit if someone were brave enough to to mug me for it, I'd hand it over. Don't think they'd get too far without giving up.

Julie
29th February 2008, 02:10 PM
Here it goes:

Tamrac Adventure 5575
E-1 with grip
E-410 with grip
14-54
55-200
Peleng 8mm
Sigma 150 Macro
Nikon 50 1,8
Macroslider
Novoflex Miniconnect
FL-36
Lightsphere (2x)
CFs
VA-1
Cleaningcloth
Diffusor
Batteries
Cokin System
Cokin ND + ND grad
Charger

Vokesie
3rd March 2008, 12:27 PM
There are a few additions so I thought I would re-post

In my OLYMPUS Free-bie Bag I have

E-3
E-500
HLD-4 battery grip

ZD 17.5-45 f3.5-5.6
ZD 14-54 f2.8-3.5
ZD 50-200 f2.8-3.5
ZM 50mm f1.8
Sig 30mm f1.4
Sig 18-50mm f2.8 *on its way*

FL-36 Flashgun
FL-50 Flashgun

12 x 300mAh Rechargeable batteries

2x 4GB Extreme IV Cards
1x 4GB Extreme III Card
2X 2GB Ultra II Cards

2 x Lens Cloth

Velbon CX 660 Tripod
Manfrotto 379 monopod

Solution 30 Lens Cleaner

Business Cards

Portfolio

Copy of public libility insurance certificate
Copy of indemnity insurance certificate

HughofBardfield
3rd March 2008, 02:11 PM
My "normal" bag is a Crumpler Geekstar. It holds:

E510 + ZD14-54mm
ZD 11-22mm, 7-14mm, EC-14, Sigma 105mm Macro
Op-Tech Strap, spare BLM-1, USB cable, RM1 remote control, eBay wired remote, waterproof box for spare memory cards (about 20Gb in total), 8 x Cokin filters (Circ Pola, Grad ND2, Grad ND4, Infra-red, Grad Warm-up, Grad Light Blue, Grad Blue, Plain ND2 - filter holders live on the 11-22 and 14-54), small bean bag, Lenspen, small microfibe cloth, pen & notebook.

Depending on what I think I'll be doing, I add either a ZD50-200mm (old style), Sigma 55-200mm or Sigma 135-400. If I'm going to be walking any distance, I may lose the 7-14mm to save weight. I also sometimes slot in a tiny Vivitar slave flash. The E510, 50-200mm and 135-400mm are permanently fitted with Manfrotto-style QR plates so I can just pick up a tripod or monopod and go...

I also have a Tamrac Expedition 7 that I can also fit my E1 and almost all of the above into plus extra batteries (and maybe a HLD2 if Ian is kind to me...). Both that and the Crumpler are really too big for wandering around town. I'm still looking for a small bag that will hold just a body+lens, plus maybe one-two other lenses. Unfortunately, none of the local dealers seem to stock my pick of the bags recommended here: http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=867. My most important criteria being: a) it should be a shoulder bag, not a backpack; b) it should look as little like a camera bag as possible; and c) it should be a reasonable price. Additional suggestions gratefully received. After buying a Slingshot 300AW and disliking it quite quickly, I want to be able to try something for myself before bending my credit card!

Garrie
16th June 2008, 07:05 PM
Time for a quick update - I carry the same things in my bag if i'm on an explore or just out shooting.

Oly 510mm with Sigma 10 - 20 attached (plus lens hood)
Zuiko Digital 14 - 42mm (plus lens hood)
Zuiko Digital 40 - 150mm (plus lens hood)
Remote shutter release
3 Batteries
6 gig of CF cards (4gig ExtremeIV & 2 Gig Extreme III)
1.5 gig XD cards (1gig Fuji, 512 Oly)
Cokin Filters (ND8, 2 x ND grads, Red coloured)
Cokin filter holders (wide angle and normal)
Cokin Filter rings (58mm and 77mm)
Various other filters (circ pol, UV, screw on NDs etc)
Lens cleaning cloth
Spare contact lens
USB lead
TV out lead
Various lens caps and covers
3 watt Cree LED torch
3 cell Maglite LED converted
a Multi tool that has a compass
Manfrotto Modo

Sometimes my FM/UHF Scanner
Various chocy bars and bottle of water etc.

All the above fits in or on my Tamrac Adventure 6 just :eek:

Graham_of_Rainham
16th June 2008, 08:33 PM
Almost never the same things...

Most often is the E-500, 7-14, 14-54 & 50-150 with FL-50 in some combination thereof

Always 3 spare BLM-1's (never used more than 2)

the Remote is always there (because I forget about it) :confused:

a sticky thing to get dust off the sensor (I have no idea why because it's never needed) Hang on here's a thought, where does all the dust go when it gets shaken off the sensor? Should I be holding it over the bin each month :rolleyes:

A lens cloth (again never gets used, isn't that what the bottom of the T-shirt is for)

The most odd assortment of filters (none of which get used - PS has a lot to answer for)

Three half eaten rolls of Polo mints, hay-fever pills & eyedrops, a pen that don't work, small tube of E45 factor 50 sun cream, Oh my God a Nikon neck strap with show pass (I can't even remember going to that show *zzz), lots of broken bits of Polos, paper clips, tissues (clean ones, in case you are wondering), Yuch! a dead spider :eek:, an old screen protector, more bits of Polo, Ah ha! just found the hot shoe cover :) Loads of dust, dead grass, tiny bits of Polo Mints (wonder how good the sensor shaker is at getting rid of Polo dust :rolleyes:)

Garrie, what a great idea you had, I'll throw out that lot and I've now got room for a new lens, can't wait to tell the wife, she will be so proud of me :D

Just time left to vac the old bag and put it all back before staggering off to bed after such a hard days work *chr

Graham

knikki
17th June 2008, 08:21 AM
Bags?

Hmm!

My old Siruis bag can carry
E3 + 12-60
50-200SWD
Or
E3 and Nikon F3 or FA + 85mm f1.4 and/or 16mm
Or
E3 and OM-4 + 35mm + 70-150mm
Or
OM4 + Nikon F4
Or
Nikon F4 and Canon EOS1 (not often the weight is to much)
Or
CCS bag is all Bronica + Oly E20
Or
Billingham bag + E3 and 12-60 or Canon EOS1 + 35-135
Or
Large back pack
Nikon F3 or F4 + 300mm f2.8 and Oly E20 or E3+12-60+50-200
Small back pack
E3+ 12-60 and/or F3 + 55mm Macro and/or XPan

In amongst all that will be cleaning cloth (only if t-shirt is to dirty) Hitech ND grad filters, use them loads now, Polorising filter, spare film and or CF cards, somtime mono pod sometimes tripod. compass (no idea how to use it:eek:) food, cable releases. In fact looking at this list far to much damn junk *yes

Chillimonster
17th June 2008, 01:16 PM
Well i'll have a E-1 and grip joining my other kit this week. Will probably have the 50mm superglued to it for the forseeable, leaving the E-3 with the 50-200SWd and the E-420 with the Pancake "carry anywhere" kit.

Becoming a bit of an Oly Whore :eek::eek:

yorky
17th June 2008, 04:54 PM
Has anyone experiance of Kata backpacks, They seem very well made.