PDA

View Full Version : 35mm Macro or 25mm Pancake

iMac
14th May 2009, 07:09 PM
Trying to decide which to buy, I'd like a decent Macro lens that could be used as a portrait lens by times as well. The 25mm I'm thinking is not really suited for either, but the 25mm is smaller and a little faster and still allow for some sudo closeup macro shots. They are both about the same price here in Canada, I know some of you are going to suggest the 50mm I would but the 50mm is more than twice the price of the 35mm.

Help point me in the correct direction. *please

stevednp3
14th May 2009, 07:17 PM
I have the 35mm and its a great lens and I get excellent results when using it for macro and for normal portrait work. If you have any questions about the 35mm feel free to ask and I will answer as best as I can.

Fluffy
14th May 2009, 08:12 PM
I have both and while the 25 is tiny and a bit faster, the 35 is a much superior lens capable of enormous IQ, It should be a bit cheaper too. In my mind, I think you'll find the 35 a much useful lens.

Steve

iMac
14th May 2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks Steve for your info, this seems to agree with all the reading I have done on both lenses. The difference in price between the 25mm & the 35mm is the 35mm is $35 cheeper nothing really. However when I get to the shop and start trying out lenses who knows what I'm going to come home with. :D

I have both and while the 25 is tiny and a bit faster, the 35 is a much superior lens capable of enormous IQ, It should be a bit cheaper too. In my mind, I think you'll find the 35 a much useful lens.

Steve

250swb
14th May 2009, 09:11 PM
I have both and the 35 wins on IQ, but the 25 is a really nice lens to walk around with.

Steve

HughofBardfield
15th May 2009, 12:59 PM
I had the 35mm and sold it - regretted ever since. It's only real drawbacks were the very close working distance for macro and the tendancy to hunt for focus (common to all macro lenses in my experience). IMHO it's astonishing VFM.

For portraits, where autofocus is less useful, you could do a lot worse than an OM 50mm f1.8 and Fleabay Chinese clone OM-4/3rds adaptor - which can be picked up for peanuts. A good one is almost as sharp as a ZD 50mm.

EH1
15th May 2009, 02:13 PM
35mm without a doubt!*yes

iMac
15th May 2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks everyone, well I guess I had my heart set on a 35mm as well, but wanted to get other options between the two lenses. We are on the road as we speak just stopped for the night after 1050km run today, and another 625km to go before we arrive at my son's in Toronto Ont. Rest for a day after we get there and then do some shopping :) I will post pic's if I manage to find a 35mm while on this trip.

Edit:
Well we have arrived in the big city of Toronto, Ont here this afternoon....after we get rested up we will be doing the tourist thing for a week, taking pic's and shopping etc.

iMac
18th May 2009, 12:06 PM
Well I picked up the 35mm yesterday, haven't got any sample shots to show with it yet, we are going to a baseball game today so we will have something to post later tonight.

benvendetta
18th May 2009, 09:07 PM
If you tried the 50mm f2 macro you would have found it very difficult to leave the store without it..................it is THAT sharp.