PDA

View Full Version : Advice on metz 48

SkinHead
11th May 2009, 02:36 PM
Hello everyone!
I just got my Metz 48 over the weekend and I'm at a loss as to its optimal setting(if there is any). I did go over its user manual, however it wasnt much of a help. It was all words and not enough illustrations. What i do know however is just to set it to TTL mode(which i manage to do). This setting was ok with the 50mm OM lens but not very good with the Sigma 105mm(the lower half of the image was darker even at f2.8 at aperture priority. I wanted to do things manually everytime i use a different lens. I hope i am making sense. Is anyone using this flash?
Thanks

Archphoto
11th May 2009, 05:22 PM
I don't have the 48, but the 44AF, but I will give it a try:

Does this 48 have a zoom-function ?
Maybe the 48 is not recognizing the lens propperly.
Otherwise you could set the focal length at the 48 at 85mm, so it gives a bit wider range.

It is strange that you get under-exposure with a 105mm lens, unless the object is verry close: the lens gets in the way.

The 44AF has a knob to the right side of the head-turning-point.
If you push that in you are able to set the flash head 15 degrees lower.

Hope I got you a bit on your way,
Peter

Nick Temple-Fry
11th May 2009, 05:36 PM
Does the display on the flash show MZoom of AZoom when attached to the camera with both turned on (assumming it is the same as the Metz 58). If MZoom then the two are not communicating - if AZoom then the flash is taking instructions from the camera.

If it is showing MZoom then I'd trawl through the settings on the camera and the flash.

Nick

oly_om
11th May 2009, 05:41 PM
The easiest way is to reset the flash - hold down the mode button until it says 'res' - that should take it back to defaults.

Andy

SkinHead
11th May 2009, 09:46 PM
Thank you for all the input, i have partly sorted the settings with a lot of trial-and-error. what i need to do next is to know every single one of them by heart. Ciao!

jude