PDA

View Full Version : Open lens surgery.

Barr1e
7th January 2008, 09:34 PM
I know this is from another site but found it very interesting.....

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=24772628

.....although Olympus would be my repairer.

Regards. Barr1e

Invicta
7th January 2008, 10:11 PM
Scary stuff... my desk is not a dust free area so I would definitely prefer an Oly repair too.

PeterD
7th January 2008, 10:37 PM
Interesting? Yes, as long as I do not own the lens.

As has been said earlier, without proper workshop/clean room facilities it could well be tempting fate.

Kind regards

PeterD

Garrie
7th January 2008, 10:43 PM
the guys got some "baws" to do that even if it was the kit lense

shenstone
7th January 2008, 10:55 PM
hmmmm

Back in the old fully manual lens / film days when I started as a poor student with my Zenit with M42 thread mount lenses I got myself going by purchasing a few knac***ed lenses and making them work through similar surgery and araldite.

Wouldn't think of it these days - not because of the money so much as a total lack of interest in spending evenings testing things to make sure that it had been worth it

Regards
Andy

Sam M
27th February 2008, 11:56 PM
Hmm, looks pretty impressive for such a young kid!

Sam

emirpprime
28th February 2008, 08:02 AM
Mad! But interesting. Shame he didn't have to take more fo it apart (in one sense) as it would have been interesting to see...
Phil

theMusicMan
28th February 2008, 08:43 AM
hmmmm

Back in the old fully manual lens / film days when I started as a poor student with my Zenit with M42 thread mount lenses I got myself going by purchasing a few knac***ed lenses and making them work through similar surgery and araldite.

Wouldn't think of it these days - not because of the money so much as a total lack of interest in spending evenings testing things to make sure that it had been worth it

Regards
AndyVery interesting post.

@Andy - didn't we all do this at some point i.e. spend time doing inane things that we'd not even consider now :) I remember building an oscilator circuit with transistors and resistors...!!! freaky eh!:D

flying haggis
1st March 2008, 04:04 PM
interesting post,
amazing to see just what is inside a lens nowadays

Ellie
2nd March 2008, 12:03 AM
Yikes, that's a brave thing to do.