PDA

View Full Version : a '612' lens

crimbo
8th May 2009, 05:47 PM
Well I was lucky enough to get that s/h 11-22mm recently advertised on this board... and what a lens!
I have always liked the 612 format (twice as wide as tall) and have constructed images by stitching, but with this beast I just need to crop

http://www.paddle.shetland.co.uk/P5080116.jpg

Archphoto
8th May 2009, 08:57 PM
Nice shot and congrad's !

The 11-22mm is a great lens, it has become my 2nd prime after the 7-14mm.
(I had the 11-22 first)
You will have to watch for a tad barrel-distortion with interior shots, otherwise you will not notice it, my customers, architects, don't.

From one of my shots taken with the 11-22mm a customer had a bill-board made of 2x4 meters..... Looks great !

Happy shooting :D

Peter

theMusicMan
8th May 2009, 09:20 PM
Lovely shot that... and I agree, the 11-22 is a superb lens indeed. I have recently had the pleasure of using the 7-14mm for a few weeks and I have to say that is truly awesome. Alas... it's gone back to its rightful owner now, and my camera bag feels empty!!!

I've just been given a new job that's right up the 11-22mm's street... I have to photograph 250 players, coaches, committee members and staff of Heathers rugby club - all in the same shot!!!

Scaffolding, platforms, megaphones... I'm sure the 11-22mm will do a great job (just need to find a decent tog now that's all :) )

Nick Temple-Fry
8th May 2009, 11:37 PM
Scaffolding, platforms, megaphones... I'm sure the 11-22mm will do a great job (just need to find a decent tog now that's all :) )

Well they've got you:) - I'm sure that together with the 11-22 you'll do a good job.

What would worry me is exposure - so I'd take particular note beforehand about what the background is to be and where the sun is going to be at the time of the shot. I suspect you'll want the line up at about 60-80% angle to the light and agin a backgound just slightly less bright than their scrubbed faces and rugby togs. A bright sky would be a real pain - so perhaps a grad nd or two should be in the bag.

Just a couple of thoughts (I've never done a group that big).

Nick

theMusicMan
9th May 2009, 05:35 AM
Well they've got you:) - I'm sure that together with the 11-22 you'll do a good job.

What would worry me is exposure - so I'd take particular note beforehand about what the background is to be and where the sun is going to be at the time of the shot. I suspect you'll want the line up at about 60-80% angle to the light and agin a backgound just slightly less bright than their scrubbed faces and rugby togs. A bright sky would be a real pain - so perhaps a grad nd or two should be in the bag.

Just a couple of thoughts (I've never done a group that big).

NickThanks for the comments Nick.

I will be taking some shots at the location this morning actually, as I want to see what angle of coverage the 11-22mm provides at this spot. Some from here have been there actually, when we had the Caerleon egroup meet up... it's the Amphitheatre where the club want the photo taken - the one smack in the center of this Google Map (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Newport+NP19+7JL,+UK&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.26154,39.550781&ie=UTF8&ll=51.608003,-2.956524&spn=0.003398,0.009656&t=h&z=17). There's space enough for all the people, I just need to see which angle (as you correctly point out) I should take the shot from, however, there are only 3 points on the outside where they could erect platforms so I am looking to see where the sun is at 11:00 this morning so I can make a judgement about what time we do the shoot.

Looking forward to this one I am indeed!

crimbo
9th May 2009, 06:50 AM
I'd try for a bright cloudy day...better contrast control ... but then you will probably have to do it at a set time regardless of the lighting

theMusicMan
9th May 2009, 06:52 AM
I'd try for a bright cloudy day...better contrast control ... but then you will probably have to do it at a set time regardless of the lighting
Hi Chris - yes, the date is already agreed... 21st June! At least the sun will be high in the sky if it is shining! :)