PDA

View Full Version : IS with monopod

vincent
7th May 2009, 10:19 AM
This is bugging me!

I know that general advice is to turn off IS when using a tripod. What about a monopod? There's still plenty of scope for side-to-side dithering when using my Manfrotto 680B and, say, the 70-300 at full stretch. And the E-3 doesn't provide any means of using horizontal IS alone.

So - what's the consensus - IS on or off?

yorky
7th May 2009, 11:11 AM
I dont find it makes any differance!

benvendetta
7th May 2009, 12:26 PM
You will still have some movement with a monopod therefore IS should be on. I too have inadvertantly used IS with a tripod and have noticed no differences even on a sixty second exposure.

photo_owl
7th May 2009, 08:56 PM
my view remains simplistic

if when you look through the viewfinder everything is fixed then IS off, if there is any visible movement then IS is more likely to help than hinder

this applies to beanbags, tripods, monopods, fenceposts.....whatever

as to horizontal IS only that's available through IS2 and portrait perspective..... ;o) but I can't see why that's any more relevant with a monopod as my long lenses move in all directions on mine.

vincent
7th May 2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks all for your interesting replies. Guess all I'm concerned about is to ensure that IS doesn't make things worse when the camera's fixed to something reasonably solid.

Come to think of it though - if it doesn't - why not then leave it on all the time?

Archphoto
7th May 2009, 11:37 PM
I did some testing on a tripod before: it makes a slight diference: off on a tripod is better.

But the diference was very small.....

Peter

HughofBardfield
8th May 2009, 08:23 AM
I did some testing on a tripod before: it makes a slight diference: off on a tripod is better.

But the diference was very small.....

Peter

Agree. But definitely noticeable.

On a monopod, I'd leave it on. However, why not try shooting some with & withouts of a static subject and check it out?