PDA

View Full Version : Landscape ND filter advice

scanny
5th May 2009, 03:21 PM
Good Afternoon

I am looking to start exploring with ND filters on my 11-22 with the summer approaching and with no previous experiance with them its guesswork as to the strength to get. For a 72mm hoya filter fleabay has them on for 22 so they are not unreasonable.

I would appretiate anyone who uses ND filers for some advice on what to start with.

Thanks for your advice

Steve

EH1
5th May 2009, 04:57 PM
ND2 & ND4 are the only ones you really need. You may want to look at getting a ND grad. too!*yes

Archphoto
5th May 2009, 05:25 PM
A ND fliter because the summer is comming ? For what ?

I live in Central Brazil in the tropics and never needed one, just put your ISO at 100 and choose your aperture if you use that mode.

ND Grad filters are a diferent bag: get one or two good ones.
Rectangular, not round, it is handy to be able to adjust its positition in the frame.

Peter

scanny
5th May 2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks guys ill go for a 2 and four. The scottish winter hasnt been too kind to anyone wanting pictures so hopefully some better weather to get out exploring

Wreckdiver
5th May 2009, 05:44 PM
I use ND2 and ND4 filters in conjunction with a circular polariser (gives approx. 2 stop light reduction) for photographing moving water. I find these give more than enough control to get the slow shutter speeds I need. You can combine an ND2 (1 stop) and and ND4 (2 stops) to give 3 stops and then add the polariser if necessary which should be more than enough for most needs. Again, 1 and 2 stop ND grads should cover most situations.

Steve

HughofBardfield
5th May 2009, 09:58 PM
I prefer square (Cokin or Lee type) filters myself as you only need one set of filters, plus an adaptor ring for each lens size.

If you go this route, Cokin's NDs can cause a colour cast (worse on the E1 for some reason - maybe a peculiarity of the Kodak sensor). John/ Zuiko introduced me to the HiTech brand, which are excellent VFM.

I carry a set of plain NDs in my bag, and hardly use them. However, I'm not a huge fan of the "blurred water" look. The ND grads (in 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9, soft transition), on the other hand, are used all the time... I tend to steer clear of polarisers because they can so easily cause banding in the sky with wider lenses.

yorky
6th May 2009, 02:53 PM
Hugh I agree the Cokin filters do have a caste and the high tech brand from srb- griturn seem better, I can't really thoiwl the price of the Lee brand. Kood seem fine as well but for a circular polar I did spring to the Lee brand. (I had to stop in for two weeks though!)