PDA

View Full Version : metz 48 problem - or is it me?

baldyb
3rd May 2009, 05:20 PM
I've finally just bought a metz 48 to use with my e-510, 18-180 and sigma
10-20 lenses.

However, due to my inexperience, I'm now not sure if there is a fault with the unit, with my camera or with me!

The focal length displayed on the unit has always shown 18mm, irrespective of which lens I use, or how much I zoom in/out.

I have taken some test shots using the flash in TTL mode though, at various distances, which look alright to me and the red light on the unit itself indicated they had been properly exposed.

Does anyone out there have a similar set up and could give me any advice as to whether I have or haven't got some sort of equipment problem?

I bought the flash on the net so I can't just pop back to the shop on Tuesday, although the seller does offer a warranty.

*chr
Kevin

oly_om
3rd May 2009, 05:44 PM
Make sure the diffuser and reflector are retracted (otherwise the zoom is disabled). You probably got it stuck on manual zoom - so press and hold the mode button with the flash turned on to reset the flash.

Andy

Archphoto
3rd May 2009, 07:07 PM
And if that does not help: do you have the modell for the Oly E ?

Peter

baldyb
3rd May 2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks guys

I did the reset routine and that has certainly improved it - but when I fit the 18-180 lens at 18 the focal length on the unit is now shown as 28, unless I physically push the retractor a little further in beyond its "home" position (a slight spring sound is heard) when the display then drops to 18 ; with the 10-20 at 10 it displays 24 until pushed further when it displays 16.:confused:

Where is any of this stuff written down??? I wish they did an idiots guide!
*chr
Kevin

Archphoto
3rd May 2009, 08:53 PM
Hearing this: I would check out the Metz with an other camera and if does the same send the Metz back for repairs under warranty.

My 44 AF shows 28mm at the 14mm position of the 14-42 so that should be allright: it shows the focal lentgh compared to 35mm FF.

Funny enough it shows 70mm at the 42 position of the 14-42, I gues 42 is not close enough to 85mm (35 FF).

Peter

oly_om
3rd May 2009, 10:16 PM
It doesn't have a continuously variable zoom - only a set of discrete focal lengths- so it chooses the next lowest (35mm equivalent) to ensure you cover the whole area. So it may be okay...

Andy

baldyb
4th May 2009, 09:29 AM
Great stuff.

I'm inclined to think there probably isn't a problem but at least I know a lot more now if I phone the dealer tomorrow and just see what his views are. I obviously need to read the manual more thoroughly in the meantime!

Thanks again for your help Andy and Peter.*chr, Kevin