PDA

View Full Version : mishap with 12-60 lens

davidh
30th April 2009, 09:10 AM
I had an unfortunate mishap with my E3/12-60 - i dropped it:mad::mad:

The body works fine no problems at all - but is this a problem with the lens -

everything appears ok except it now manual focusses without altering settings in the camera.

Autofocus is still fast & accurate

is it worth sending to oly for checking?

Any views appreciated

Dave

mike_j
30th April 2009, 11:04 AM
Yes. They are very good and your lens may be OK for you as it is but it has lost a lot of its resale value.

StephenL
30th April 2009, 11:50 AM
When you say it manually focusses without altering the camera settings, do you mean that you can now use manual focus without telling it so through the body?
If so, I've got news for you. It has always done that! With the 12-60 and many other Oly lenses, you can, for example, allow the lens to auto-focus and then move the focus ring to fine-tune the focussing, without having to resort to full manual focus in the body's settings.
If that's not the case, I apologize for misreading your description of the fault.

davidh
30th April 2009, 12:02 PM
When you say it manually focusses without altering the camera settings, do you mean that you can now use manual focus without telling it so through the body?
If so, I've got news for you. It has always done that! With the 12-60 and many other Oly lenses, you can, for example, allow the lens to auto-focus and then move the focus ring to fine-tune the focussing, without having to resort to full manual focus in the body's settings.
If that's not the case, I apologize for misreading your description of the fault.

Hi Steve

I'll have to check my other lenses when i get home but i don't recall any of them(35/50 macro/50-200/70-300)being able to do this without changing to mf (70-300 switched on lens)
Could you check your 12-60 and confirm?

Dave

StephenL
30th April 2009, 12:08 PM
Yes, checked and confirmed. So does my 50-200. I think it's a feature of all SWD lenses.

EH1
30th April 2009, 12:09 PM
Dave, Stephen is correct in what he is saying!*yes

davidh
30th April 2009, 12:18 PM
Steve/EH1

thanks for that - the 12-60 is my first SWD lens

*chr

Dave

StephenL
30th April 2009, 12:25 PM
However, having dropped it, check for physical signs of damage.
Take photos at a range of distances and focal lengths. Make sure it zooms smoothly and quietly. Check for them being in focus - especially across the plane. Check for distortion in the images.
If all then looks well, then you've got away with it, thanks to Olympus' build quality!!

Ian
30th April 2009, 02:10 PM
Hi Steve

I'll have to check my other lenses when i get home but i don't recall any of them(35/50 macro/50-200/70-300)being able to do this without changing to mf (70-300 switched on lens)
Could you check your 12-60 and confirm?

Dave

Stephen is right. All SWD lenses, like the 12-60, have mechanically operated manual focus. So you can focus the lens (even unintentionally) by moving the focus ring even if the camera is set to autofocus mode. All other Olympus and Panasonic Four Thirds lenses have fly by wire manual focus, which is inoperative in full autofocus mode (though you can select AF+MF hybrid mode).

Ian