PDA

View Full Version : Tele converter

Barr1e
15th November 2007, 08:49 AM
I'm looking for information on its plusses and minuses and which one to use, (EC-14 etc) say, on the kit lens and the 70-300.

When used what settings need to be changed etc?

Does it offer the same sharpness and is it affected by the IS please?

Other hints and tips welcomed, of course.

Regards. Barr1e

ps The more we use our E-510's the more enjoyment gained.

Ian
15th November 2007, 11:32 AM
I'm looking for information on its plusses and minuses and which one to use, (EC-14 etc) say, on the kit lens and the 70-300.

When used what settings need to be changed etc?

Does it offer the same sharpness and is it affected by the IS please?

Other hints and tips welcomed, of course.

Regards. Barr1e

ps The more we use our E-510's the more enjoyment gained.

Morning Barr1e and what a nice one it is too :)

The EC-14 will work with both the kit lens and the 70-300. One stop or EV of brightness is sacrificed for the 40% gain in focal length. Here is what the EC-14 transforms your lenses into:

Before:

14-42 f/3.5-5.6 (28-84 equiv)
40-150 f/4-5.6 (80-300 equiv)
70-300 f/3.5-5.6 (140-600 equiv)

With EC-14 1.4 converter:

19.6-58.8 f/5-8 (39.2-117.6 equiv)
56-210 f/5.6-8 (112-420 equiv)
98-420 f/5-8 (196-840 equiv)

As the brightness at full aperture is reduced, AF at the longer end of the zoom range will be less reliable in dark or overcast (less contrasty) conditions.

Apart from that, there is nothing to adjust on the camera. IS will work normally.

Using a converter is an optical compromise and you may notice a slight drop in sharpness and contrast, but the EC-14 is a very high performance converter (which is why it's so expensive) and in my experience it works very well.

Ian

rolfw
16th November 2007, 08:00 PM
I should get the 70-300 on Monday Barr1e, so will try it solo and with the EC-14, I've found that it can make the 50-500 Sigma almost unusable in overcast weather, but the 70-300 shouldn't be as bad.

Having said that, I often have it on the lens when I don't really need it, almost forget it is there. :)

Barr1e
16th November 2007, 09:15 PM
Morning Barr1e and what a nice one it is too :)

The EC-14 will work with both the kit lens and the 70-300. One stop or EV of brightness is sacrificed for the 40% gain in focal length. Here is what the EC-14 transforms your lenses into:

Before:

14-42 f/3.5-5.6 (28-84 equiv)
40-150 f/4-5.6 (80-300 equiv)
70-300 f/3.5-5.6 (140-600 equiv)

With EC-14 1.4 converter:

19.6-58.8 f/5-8 (39.2-117.6 equiv)
56-210 f/5.6-8 (112-420 equiv)
98-420 f/5-8 (196-840 equiv)

As the brightness at full aperture is reduced, AF at the longer end of the zoom range will be less reliable in dark or overcast (less contrasty) conditions.

Apart from that, there is nothing to adjust on the camera. IS will work normally.

Using a converter is an optical compromise and you may notice a slight drop in sharpness and contrast, but the EC-14 is a very high performance converter (which is why it's so expensive) and in my experience it works very well.

Ian

Hi Ian -

Thanks so much for the info.

I am unsure what to do as with regards a converter or another lens as I wish to cover distance.:confused:

I am replying to rolfw below and his tests could well make up my mind.:)

Kindest regards. Barr1e

Barr1e
16th November 2007, 09:24 PM
I should get the 70-300 on Monday Barr1e, so will try it solo and with the EC-14, I've found that it can make the 50-500 Sigma almost unusable in overcast weather, but the 70-300 shouldn't be as bad.

Having said that, I often have it on the lens when I don't really need it, almost forget it is there. :)

What a great guy you are rolfw. Your tests could well persuade me either way in purchasing the converter or to buy another lens.
I'm hopeful to receive a call from the emporium at any time to say the 70-300 is in and ready for collection.:)
I look forward to your conclusions.

Kind regards. Barr1e

Solar
29th January 2008, 12:20 AM
FWIW Barr1e, I have heard that the EC14 is a bit higher quality than the 2x .. I was reading a post on some forum where someone was testing and had concluded that they figured that the EC14 being higher quality but less reach but with the more reach of the 2x you get slightly less quality ... it's a sacrifice apparently. Reach vs Quality and it doesn't mean that the 2x won't do or isn't any good, I am sure for most and in many cases it is just fine ....

But NB, I don't own either yet and am currently iso definite conclusive tests with both in terms of quality as I prefer quality to reach ...

Something to also consider :)

Nick Temple-Fry
29th January 2008, 01:07 AM
The ec1.4 practically lives on my 50-200, and has been used successfully on all my other lenses (including the Peleng) see sig.. But...

Any teleconverter makes the lens slower (loses light)

On the 50-200 with the better low light performance of the E-3 I can stand that, knocks the f-number upto about 4.9. So I can still shoot quite fast say 1/250 and get reasonable results in overcast conditions.

But the 70-300 starts at at f4 and goes to f5.6 (+ whatever each tc adds)with either tc you are going to need good light and/or high iso to get the shutter speed necessary use that length other than on a stationary target.

I await to be convinced that combining the 70-300 plus the ec20 is a good idea, in practise I suggest you'll be stretching that lens to its limits with the ec14.

Just my half pennys worth, please disregard if you want.

Nick

Barr1e
29th January 2008, 09:19 AM
We now have both the 70-300 and EC-14. So far very pleased with results albeit in bright weather so far. We plan to go back to shoot (take pix) the deer in a couple of weeks now my thigh is improving due to the tumble I had last October cycling. Light conditions amongst the trees will see a far truer test of both units I think.

Thanks for responding.

Regards. Barr1e

theMusicMan
29th January 2008, 10:09 AM
I am using the 70-300 often now Barrie and am liking it very much. I take shots of my daughters rugby games for them with it, and each game I seem to get a few more images I don't have to throw away!!

I notice there's an E-3 update and also an update for the 70-300 lens... will certainly be doing this before the weekend.

Ellie
29th January 2008, 11:18 PM
It sounds a wonderful combination Barr1e. You'll be able to take some even more wonderful pictures :)

Barr1e
30th January 2008, 09:10 AM
It sounds a wonderful combination Barr1e. You'll be able to take some even more wonderful pictures :)

Thanks - you say the nicest things. :)

My squirrel shots a couple of days ago were with that combination. Although I noted a blueish cast on most of them - however, I'm sure my settings need adjustment.

I have just finished changing settings in both our camera's after downloading the latest upgrade and intend to tweak them a little differently this time to compare past results.

Regards. Barr1e

Jim Ford
30th January 2008, 06:13 PM
I'm hopeful to receive a call from the emporium at any time to say the 70-300 is in and ready for collection.:)

While you're waiting Barr1e, SRS told me on Saturday that they've only got one 50-200mm SWD lens left. Why not go for it instead - or even as well?
;^)

Jim Ford

Barr1e
30th January 2008, 06:52 PM
While you're waiting Barr1e, SRS told me on Saturday that they've only got one 50-200mm SWD lens left. Why not go for it instead - or even as well?
;^)

Jim Ford

Jim -

Anne and I were there today. I'm surprised they didn't mention it. We seem to have gone over our budget at present so the accessories for the E-510's will have to wait until early spring.

We are both in the market however for a slim lightweight point and shoot. I can't make up my mind whether to go for the Olympus 'drop me in the wet' or another brand for instance the Ricoh R7. Although my Fuji E-900 has given me a great deal of fun and pleasure she is pretty heavy in my map pocket and getting old too.

I think it the wrong to start a thread here asking what others use or consider so perhaps I'll pop over to 4/3rds User and ask.

Thanks for the tip off - did you buy the other one? :D

I'm amazed at the stock they carry.

All the best. Barr1e