PDA

View Full Version : Photography Series Startng On Channel Four Tonght

brob108
6th January 2008, 06:18 PM
As I was gong through the TV listings for tonight I noticed a new series starting at 7pm called 'Picture This'. The programme is about six photographers competing to win a publishing deal and an exhibition in a renowned gallery.

Could be interesting viewing and good to see more TV interest in photography following on from the BBC 4 series, 'The Genius Of Photography' last year.

Invicta
6th January 2008, 07:55 PM
Alas, only just been to the forums so I missed the first program. :(

How did it look in the first show?

Barr1e
6th January 2008, 08:14 PM
I missed it too. Doh! :mad:

Thanks for the nod though.

Regards. Barr1e

brob108
6th January 2008, 08:29 PM
I thought it was rather interesting overall. The show started with six photographers who were given three tasks (a portrait image of one of the group, a portrait session with Germaine Greer as the model and a street photography style shoot in Brighton).

There are four judges who make up the panel, ncluding Martin Parr, and they give a critique on the final images that the contestants produce from each section.

Towards the end of the show two contestants left (ditto next week) so it must be a three week series with each of the contestants given new tasks.

It was good to watch how each of the contestants approached the tasks and the comments made by the judging panel - well worth tuning in for.

PeterD
6th January 2008, 08:30 PM
I missed it too. Doh! :mad:

Thanks for the nod though.

Regards. Barr1e

Me too. Damn:(

PeterD

Invicta
6th January 2008, 08:50 PM
Some good news, if you have Cable TV this programme is available via Virgin Media's On Demand feature for free. It will be up for a week but I may just have to go watch it now..

BigD
6th January 2008, 09:42 PM
missed it here aswell :(. and we dont get cable.

brob108
6th January 2008, 10:02 PM
It's a shame that it's not included on the 4 On Demand site to download from Channel 4.

theMusicMan
6th January 2008, 10:27 PM
Some good news, if you have Cable TV this programme is available via Virgin Media's On Demand feature for free. It will be up for a week but I may just have to go watch it now..
Thanks Invicta, I shall make a note to watch this when I get back home. Am in Dusseldorf for a few days on business...

CaptainD
6th January 2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks for bringing this program to my attention. I did not know it was on until I read this post and I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next one, I have a feeling I will learn some good tips and tricks from this series.

Thanks a lot

Chris

brob108
6th January 2008, 10:59 PM
I really enjoyed it too. It was very interesting observing the photographers and how they worked, and interacted, with people and the critiques were informative and valuable too.

It was also a good contrast it to the Tom Ang series on BBC 4 as there was less emphasis on the actual equipment being used and mainly concentrated on issues that cropped up during the shoots.

I thought this worked well on a couple of levels - stopped a more casual viewer from getting bored by being too technical (and made it a more general photography programme) and for those more serious about their photography it was an opportunity to watch others take pictures/tackle photo shoots (good to take a step back, I think).

wombat1953
7th January 2008, 05:09 PM
Guys/Gals

I don't know if itís just me being a bit touchy here, but although I enjoyed most of this program. I was left a little cold by one of the last four photographers. Who took a photo of a family with children (not a problem) but then superimposed a sign afterwards stating and I quote "The Children dance because of their addiction to CRACK".
Now call me touchy, but I don't think he made the childrenís parents aware of how he was going to use this photo. He even said in the program that he thought it was unethical (You don't say) but he got the picture he wanted.
What do you think, am I to touchy?
If you ask to take someoneís photo surely itís beholding of you to ensure you are not using your models etc without their consent.

Steve

art frames
7th January 2008, 05:19 PM
Guys/Gals

I don't know if itís just me being a bit touchy here, but although I enjoyed most of this program. I was left a little cold by one of the last four photographers. Who took a photo of a family with children (not a problem) but then superimposed a sign afterwards stating and I quote "The Children dance because of their addiction to CRACK".
Now call me touchy, but I don't think he made the childrenís parents aware of how he was going to use this photo. He even said in the program that he thought it was unethical (You don't say) but he got the picture he wanted.
What do you think, am I to touchy?
If you ask to take someoneís photo surely itís beholding of you to ensure you are not using your models etc without their consent.

Steve

Not at all. I didn't see it but the broadcaster and the photographer are both in the wrong in my mind. If neither has confirmed that a signed model release is in place then they are really chancing their luck and any legal actions.

Broadcasters used to have higher standards and as we have seen recently they are falling far short and rightly getting the sack because of it.

I guess it would be worth sending in a complaint if you feel strongly. More people ought to in my view. I would join you if I had seen it.

Peter

theMusicMan
7th January 2008, 05:53 PM
I will be watching this on VirginMedia on demand, and I dare say I will be sending in a complaint about this once I have seen it.

Dreadful... totally dreadful. I'd have been livid if that was a photo of my kids.

Jim
7th January 2008, 06:10 PM
It's a shame that it's not included on the 4 On Demand site to download from Channel 4.

Is now listed on the CH4 on Demand site.

brob108
7th January 2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks Jim for letting us know we can now view it On Demand.

With regards the 'statement' image I was surprised the photographer got through to the next round. Not only was this particular picture in questionnable taste but also the person taking the photo made a hash of putting it together (hence why he had to use Photoshop to add the sign in). I wonder if he would have gained parental consent with that sign if he had physically got it on him. He also made a bit of a mess of the Germaine Greer portrait, I thought, and was quite amused when Ms Greer gave him some technical advice!

I personally thought the more novice photographer was more interesting, and one of the judges said he showed a lot of potential, and would have liked to have seen him stay on.

On a related note, I've just been going through The Independent and found a one page interview in the Media section with Martin Parr. There's mention of the series and also Martin's views on the art of photography.

Here's the weblink to the article for anyone who hasn't read it:

http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article3313041.ece

Hiding_Pup
7th January 2008, 07:02 PM
Lots of insider info over on the Picture This Rejects group on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/picturethisrejects/

- including info about how the contestants only had 20 minutes or so to photograph one another; and how they only had 40 minutes to do the Brighton shoot (including getting model releases signed).

There's a website if any of you want to get involved:

http://picturethis.channel4.com/

wombat1953
7th January 2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks All for your comments.
I cannot speak for the whole world, But I have Just sent in my complaint to channel 4:mad:
I shall wait with baited breath for some form of response:eek: but not to long as my baited breath capabilities are rather naf:)
Anyway having got it off my chest, it's the first time I've complained to a TV channel, but it made me feel better:(:):D:cool:.
I'll get back to taking responsible photos, like the rest of you Guys/Gals Here;)

Steve

Invicta
7th January 2008, 07:52 PM
The photographer with the photoshopped children picture started the programme saying he liked to be controversial. I would not be surprised if he was selected for the next round just to add drama to what could be a dull programme for non-photographers.

The amateur was deselected based in part on the judges comment they did not think he could learn fast enough for the next assignment. I.e he was not judged on his photos but on something that may or may not happen in the next programme.

Very interesting to see the various ideas they came up with, no doubt I will watch the next one in the series.

ndl0071
8th January 2008, 08:20 AM
[QUOTE=wombat1953;3974]Guys/Gals

Hi Steve

I certainly do not think you were being 'touchy' at all, I am glad that you saw fit to mention it here and complain to C4, I too was left feeling quite cold. Although it was his intention to shock I thought this was way OTT as the 'models' presumably had no idea what the finished product would look like and how the message and they would be portrayed.
Personally I do not watch C4 very often if at all but it seems to me that controversy follows this channel around and perhaps that's the way they like it............:mad:
This paticular photographer had nothing to offer for me, personally I would have preferred to keep in the novice, but then I'm always a sucker for the underdog:)

Cheers
Neil

Hiding_Pup
8th January 2008, 08:44 AM
Ethically unsound and the judges failed themselves for not flaying the guy alive. The photographer part of me thought the end result was pretty crap too. In addition to writing to Channel 4, how about writing to the guy himself?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aronbrown/

theMusicMan
8th January 2008, 09:03 AM
Well if that is his site, he has incredibly poor taste, and I mean incredibly poor. Some people's interpretation of humour is totally beyond me, and for C4 to actively promote this guy through the show is disgraceful.

Hiding_Pup
8th January 2008, 09:11 AM
Or, there's always the option of leaving a comment on his profile at Picture This:

http://picturethis.channel4.com/participants/93894529%40N00

Ian
8th January 2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks Jim for letting us know we can now view it On Demand.

With regards the 'statement' image I was surprised the photographer got through to the next round. Not only was this particular picture in questionnable taste but also the person taking the photo made a hash of putting it together (hence why he had to use Photoshop to add the sign in). I wonder if he would have gained parental consent with that sign if he had physically got it on him. He also made a bit of a mess of the Germaine Greer portrait, I thought, and was quite amused when Ms Greer gave him some technical advice!

I personally thought the more novice photographer was more interesting, and one of the judges said he showed a lot of potential, and would have liked to have seen him stay on.

On a related note, I've just been going through The Independent and found a one page interview in the Media section with Martin Parr. There's mention of the series and also Martin's views on the art of photography.

Here's the weblink to the article for anyone who hasn't read it:

http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article3313041.ece

I watched the programme last night and wondered if the 'problems' the photographer had with the sign was deliberate so he didn't have to show the family what the sign was going to display...?

Ian

Hiding_Pup
8th January 2008, 09:55 AM
Who's looking for a conspiracy now, Ian? :-)

On a different note, I think Germaine Greer's title is Prof., certainly Dr, rather than Ms.

Invicta
20th January 2008, 09:07 AM
It is the final program tonight. Wonder what their assignment will be this time.

The controversial photographer and the Uni guy got knocked out last week so it is an all ladies final.

CaptainD
20th January 2008, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the reminder, having seen the 1st one I forgot last week so a reminder is most welcome.

Thanks a lot

Chris