PDA

View Full Version : Splash Proof

Jonesgj
25th April 2009, 06:13 AM
Dear Group,

I was wondering, with the cheaper lenses (the sort I can afford!) when attached to the E3, what are the effects on shower/splash proof ability of the whole combination. So:

E3 +

25mm f/2.8 Pancake Lens
9-18mm f/4.0-5.6
14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 ED
14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 MK1
14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 MK2
18-180mm f/3.5-6.3 ED
40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 ED
70-300mm f/4.0-5.6

And I also wondered about using the EC-14??

Regards

Graydon

StephenL
25th April 2009, 06:37 AM
Both the 14-54s and the EC14 are splash-proof. With any of the others, the sealing ends at the lens/body joint.

Jonesgj
25th April 2009, 06:44 AM
Both the 14-54s and the EC14 are splash-proof. With any of the others, the sealing ends at the lens/body joint.

Thanks Stephen, so some clever make-shift rubber/pastic thingy wrapped around the joint may be okay for a quick must-have shot?

StephenL
25th April 2009, 06:56 AM
Well yes, but remember the zoom/focus joints on the barrels! Best idea may be to encase the lens body in a plastic bag tied down with rubber bands (just follow a postie to get these!) but this will hamper your zoom control depending on how slack your bag is.

250swb
25th April 2009, 09:10 PM
I think it depends on what you consider a 'splash' is.

The sealed lenses (like the 14-54mm) are capable of a full on downpour on the E3 body, but on any other lens it still takes a lot to get water into the main body. I'd have no qualms about a non-sealed lens getting a few drops of water over it, as in a quick shower. What really does the damage is if you continue to pump that water into the barrel of the lens through zoom use, so wipe it off with a towel regularly....but don't quote me on that.

Steve

Jonesgj
25th April 2009, 10:16 PM
The reason for the question really stems from the fact I may be travelling to abroad - monsoon weather(!)

I had just about decided on purchasing an E-30 as an upgrade to my E-520, having noticed the prices are starting to come down, but I heard this week I may have to travel abroad on business. This being the case I now wonder whether I should look for a good second hand E-3. I thought about just taking the E-520, but I really don't know what to do.

You can see the kit I have in my signature (I'm not taking the PC and Photoshop though)

Regards

mike_j
26th April 2009, 08:24 AM
The reason for the question really stems from the fact I may be travelling to abroad - monsoon weather(!)

which bit of abroad are you going to? It it's a cheap camera area why not take something basic and buy a camera out there?

In the meantine you could use one of these http://fotosharp.com/camera_rain_covers.html - or a plastic bag :D

peak4
26th April 2009, 08:27 AM
Hi The solution I used before I bought my E-3 may appeal if you are on a tight budget.
Take the E-520 and use it when it's not raining but pick up a good used E-1 before you go. That in combination with the 14-54 will give you a water resistant rig, which will probably cover most of your needs in the rain.
It will also give you the advantage of a spare body, at the expense of some weight I admit, in case something dies.

Also if you are going to a hot humid place, do a bit of research on preventing fungus in the lenses before you go. Not had a problem myself as I don't do hot & humid.:rolleyes:

Have a good trip, love to see the photos when you get back.

photo_owl
26th April 2009, 10:43 AM
a lot of people travel with the 510 or 520 a lot, and equally a lot of people have an E3 and never use it in conditions that would give it's weathproofing an advantage over the 520.

fundamentally the E3 used with a non sealed lens fundamentally looses it's weathproofing because the lens/camera mount seal is directly responsible for access to the mirror box etc. you could efectively extend this by using an EC14 because that has that seal and would protect the camera (but mount a non sealed lens on it and the EC14 itself would become vunerable but still IMO act as an effective barrier to most circumstances)

with the lenses you have there doesn't seem to be a prima facie case for an E3 but if you want one then don't let that put you off!

Jonesgj
26th April 2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the advice chaps.

The last time I went to India I regretted not having taken anything more than a point and shot. Why spend all the cash and then not take it (the kit) where you may be able to get once in a life time shots. Although this will be a business trip I hope to get at least one weekend to myself.

I could just take the E510 and 520, but it was in my plan to upgrade this year ... nothing wrong with the 520, but its just to treat myself. In line with my previous visit I would like to take the best kit I could, and thats why I am considering accelerating the upgrade, and even adjusting the parameters to an E-3 from an E-30.

I may have to invoke that old fail-safe: "If in doubt - do nowt". It may be the powers that be decide not to send me to India ...

Melaka
26th April 2009, 06:41 PM
It's difficult to take decent photos in monsoon rain. My advice would be to get an E1 or E3 for use with the 14-54 or just use the kit bodies and lenses but not in the rain. Getting someone to hold an umbrella over you is as good as anything. As far as fungus is concerned I would have thought a camera that spends part of its time in an air conditioned envoronment won't suffer too much.