PDA

View Full Version : Best Noise Reduction Software

Zuiko
18th April 2009, 12:59 PM
Any thoughts or recommendations on the best noise reduction software, please?

Not just the absolute best, but also the easiest to use and most effective in its most basic form, bearing in mind my difficulties in using complex software!

Any comments will be most appreciated,

Thanks,

Archphoto
18th April 2009, 01:57 PM
I have an E520, so I need that kind of software.

Try: Noise Ninja, I love it, works great, easy to use and so on.
On the other forum members use it too and are very happy with it !

Free demo download, if you like it you can buy it.

Good luck,
Peter

DekHog
18th April 2009, 04:15 PM
Nik Dfine for me every time... really simple to use and excellent results.

terryw
18th April 2009, 04:19 PM
Peter I'm glad you mentioned Noise Ninja 'cause I haven't checked for updates since last year. So I just did, and have.

John, I hope, will be pleased to know that with the purchase of a licence key you get free updates.

The website address is www.picturecode.com with software that is easy to download and install. You have a choice of licences (and prices) subject to your needs.

Terry

Maczero
18th April 2009, 04:24 PM
I have used Noise Ninja which was absolutely fine. However, I currently use Dfine, which has a setting to help deal with banding, which you may find useful.

Maczero

Archphoto
18th April 2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks, will try Dfine, had quite a few problems with banding with my E520, never had any trouble with the E410.....

Peter

Barrie Norman
18th April 2009, 06:21 PM
I use Neat Image, this is a fantastic and easy to use, either stand alone or as a plug in, there are also profiles for all cameras toi down load, these include Oly profiles

Maczero
18th April 2009, 07:46 PM
Nik Software give you a chance to demo the software for 15 days - enough to know whether it will suit you; so, it can't hurt to try it. I'm happy enough and did seem to deal with some banding on an ISO 1600 photo (I rarely use that speed).

Maczero

Barr1e
18th April 2009, 08:17 PM
Hi John -

I have used the free version of Neat Image for some time and it gets the job done to my satisfaction. You can also purchase an upgrade to the free package.
http://www.neatimage.com/download.html

Regards. Barr1e

Zuiko
19th April 2009, 12:32 AM
Thanks Guys,

Plenty of food for thought here. Have spent all evening playing with trial versions of Noise Ninja, Neat Image and Dfine. So far Dfine is winning, not just for quality of results, bt for ease of use and a fairly sophisticated level of control that even I can use!

Here's an example, taken with an E3 at 3200 ISO. I must say I'm quite impressed, waht do you think?

ORIGINAL IMAGE
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/SURVIVAL_COURSE_079_r_s.jpg

DFINE NOISE REDUCTION
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/SURVIVAL_COURSE_079_e_NR_c_r_s.jpg

Dick Bowman
19th April 2009, 07:11 AM
I've used Neat Image in the past (had some E1 shots taken under adverse conditions) - it did a good job.

But I haven't felt the need to use it for a while now.

crimbo
19th April 2009, 09:14 AM
If you are using raw then Capture One 4.7

HughofBardfield
20th April 2009, 12:27 PM
I've also used Neat Image occasionally for some time - albeit I generally find the tools in Lightroom are sufficient for my purposes. I very rarely go above ISO400.

I seem to remember one of the mags did a comparison on Neat Image and Noise Ninja about a year - 18 months ago and they felt NI was very slightly better overall. I'll see if I can dig the article out if SWMBO hasn't recycled it...