PDA

View Full Version : E1 vs E520

MattMoore
13th April 2009, 08:38 PM
Evening all,
Not posted here for a while, been too busy with the day job :( but now I've a very good reason to be back!
I'm off on holiday at the beginning of May for a fortnight to Florida with the girlfriend.
I'm going to take my E410 with the pancake lense for the day to day photo oppurtunities, round the theme parks etc but there will be times when I will want to take very good photos.
A camera and glass upgrade has been on my mind for quite some time now, and I've more or less settled on the E520, and either 11-22 or 14-54 lense.
I've been looking lately and it seems that I can more or less get a free E1 with the 14-54 lense, so I'm wondering how the E1 weighs up against the e520?
I've had a look round, and couldnt find any specific comparisons. Please point me in the right direction if I have missed any though!

Many thanks

Matt

MarkVarley
13th April 2009, 09:44 PM
I upgraded from an E300 (next model along the timeline from the E1) to an E520, benefits I've noticed and making full use of are:

higher res (important for alot of work I do),

live view (makes alot of odd angles easier, use it on most shoots, (flip-out screen would be even better)),

bigger screen (just makes life easier!).
image stabilisation (not used alot but very very nice to have)

These are things you'd miss-out on if you went for an E1, if you can't see a use for them in the way you shoot then the E1 is the way to go.

Negatives I also see in the E520 are it's not as solid feeling in the hands, battery life is a little worse (probably due to the bigger screen which I leave on all the time, and the IS). Also it doesn't have it's own olympus grip (fitted one made by 'ownuser' instead).

StephenL
14th April 2009, 08:14 AM
One of the answers is in the question. Weight! The E-1, whilst being a superbly ergonomically designed camera, is no lightweight.
The E-520 with the 14-54 is a very good combination. And for me IS is a must (being a doddery old man of 57!).