PDA

View Full Version : battery grip

freewheeler
12th April 2009, 01:48 PM
Hello..........forgive my ignorance but why do we need a battery grip?
What do we use it for?
Can you tell i'm still new to this? lol
Thanks

EH1
12th April 2009, 03:50 PM
Battery grips have two main purposes! 1) Gives you twice the battery life, as the grip holds 2 batteries instead of just 1 (which is very useful on long shoots). 2) Also make vertical shooting (portrait) alot more comfortable to hold & use the camera, as the grip also has a shutter release button on the end of it! (I hope this makes sense)!

StephenL
12th April 2009, 06:03 PM
You really need to handle a camera with one on before purchasing. Yes, they extend battery power. Yes, they make vertical shooting easier (and a side benefit is they reduce shoulder strain when shooting vertically if you have shoulder problems as I do). BUT they also can make the camera more cumbersome and weighty.

MarkVarley
12th April 2009, 10:54 PM
I like battery grips because in my big hands the camera is easier to handle, I also get double the battery life and when I shoot in portraid orientation (about 50% of the time) it's more comfortable and has a shutter release button right there for your finger.

However my partner hates them, (small hands and not as strong).

freewheeler
12th April 2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the all the help..........I think its something I can do without at the present time, I have small hands anyway and will be adding the metz af48 in the next couple of days........maybe in the future:)

OlyPaul
13th April 2009, 07:52 AM
Of course just because you have a battery grip does not meant it has to be attached all the while. If I'm doing a portrait session or a lot of vertical oriantation work I put it on for more stability, if I'm just taking the camera for a walk I take it off, after all it only takes about 30 secs to do it.:)