angelpaaul
9th April 2009, 07:06 AM
Just spotted a 1.4 firmware update for the E-3

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/

Regards - Paul

photo_owl
9th April 2009, 07:44 AM
interesting one this

the good news was that it didn't reset all my settings to defaults - which pleased me no end!

the even better news came with a quick run around with the 50/2, which seemed rejuvanated in it's AF responses - not once heading off into a 'tis'.

a promising start so on with the Sigma 30/1.4, which is the only lens that I can get the E3 to take images in S-AF where the indicated AF point is not actually in focus (and no it's not a back focus or ff issue) and early indications are very positive. more detailed field tests required and I obviously hope that I haven't simply swapped my known issues for some new ones that previously worked fine!

PeterD
9th April 2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks for spotting this Paul. Upgraded - no problems*chr
Peter

StephenL
9th April 2009, 10:56 AM
Yes, at last an update which doesn't make you run around looking for the scrap of paper you noted your settings on last time and meant to file away!

the good news was that it didn't reset all my settings to defaults - which pleased me no end!

DerekW
9th April 2009, 11:04 AM
The update was quite small, the down load time was quite short so it was an update to the firmware rather than a replacement of all the firmware which tends to reset the values.

EH1
9th April 2009, 12:00 PM
Does anyone know what this firmware update is meant to improve? As I would like to way up the pro`s & cons, before I do it. (as I had a nightmare experience in the past with a firmware update, & my camera must work on saturday as I have a wedding to do)!

StephenL
9th April 2009, 12:32 PM
As the announcement by Olympus states, it's intended to improve AF on the E-3.
As with all updates, if the instructions are followed to the letter with a full battery, there should be no problem. This one is a particularly short update with even less chance for things to go wrong.

Does anyone know what this firmware update is meant to improve? As I would like to way up the pro`s & cons, before I do it. (as I had a nightmare experience in the past with a firmware update, & my camera must work on saturday as I have a wedding to do)!

EH1
9th April 2009, 12:38 PM
Thanks Stephen! I will risk it..........as I do have a back-up body:eek:

RogerMac
9th April 2009, 01:04 PM
As the announcement by Olympus states, it's intended to improve AF on the E-3.
As with all updates, if the instructions are followed to the letter with a full battery, there should be no problem. This one is a particularly short update with even less chance for things to go wrong.

I had a problem with my recent 70-300 lens update - I think the wireless connection blinked halfway through - so I would advise that the safest method is to use a cable connection to your router

Roger

EH1
9th April 2009, 01:11 PM
I had a problem with my recent 70-300 lens update - I think the wireless connection blinked halfway through - so I would advise that the safest method is to use a cable connection to your router

RogerToo late! I have just done it & it worked!

StephenL
9th April 2009, 01:44 PM
My understanding is that the actual camera/lens update does not start until all the data is resident in your cache somewhere. So as soon as the warning message appears on your camera, it has finished with your network connection.
Of course, it's possible to have an iffy USB connection to your camera, or alternatively I could be talking a load of c*#p! :D

Roger

Dick Bowman
13th April 2009, 07:09 AM
Installed on Friday, previously on 1.3.

I felt C-AF performance had improved slightly (but maybe that was just the power of suggestion). But had a bad day in terms of E-3/HLD-4 combination bitching about low battery (two freshly charged the previous evening).

Then it started raining, so I got wet and miserable.

I do hope they haven't undone the "fixing the grip/battery issue" of 1.3.

EH1
13th April 2009, 12:07 PM
Installed on Friday, previously on 1.3.

I felt C-AF performance had improved slightly (but maybe that was just the power of suggestion). But had a bad day in terms of E-3/HLD-4 combination bitching about low battery (two freshly charged the previous evening).

Then it started raining, so I got wet and miserable.

I do hope they haven't undone the "fixing the grip/battery issue" of 1.3.I don`t think this un-does the grip issue, as mine works fine since installing 1.4. Hope it sorts itself out!