PDA

View Full Version : Olympus Codec for XP

shenstone
8th April 2009, 08:20 PM
I can't take any credit for mentionintg this as it was in another thread, but I thought it worth lifting out of that thread and making some comment

the orginal post was

I've not tested it myself but thought it was worth mentioning here...

Olympus RAW codec for Windows XP (32bit only):
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/codec/index.cfm

Presumably the codec has been updated to include Windows XP fairly recently but I never saw any sort of notice for it anywhere?

Personally I still find Orf Shell (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://olypedia.de/Olympus_RAW_Vorschau_im_Windows-Explorer) (mentioned by Shenstone earlier in this thread) to be very quick and reliable so I see no reason to change to the official Olympus codec yet. Still it's an option for those that would prefer to use official software...

Looking into it, it needs the .net framwork 3.5 which was only put out in November 08 so it definitely has been around a while, but why no sensible mention from Oly -- goodness only knows

PaulE mentions it as a possible replacement for Orfshell, but the codecs are not used by Explorer but per the install page

RAW images cannot be displayed when using the Explorer on the Windows XP. You must have any applications that use WIC (Windows Imaging Component), such as Windows Live Photo Gallery, to display the RAW images.

This may sound like what's the point, but a number of more poweful applications are now offering this as an option and it's well worth being aware of it even if you don't use it initially. Some time ago I had a version of iMatch that had faulty ORF rendering [quickly fixed I have to say], and knowing that I could have swapped to another method within the software ( it provides this as an option) would have speeded my investigation into whether I was doing something wrong

I am one of the geeky types how like fiddling so I'll give it a go (already downloaded), but it won't be until after Easter

Thanks Paul

Regards
Andy

PaulE
8th April 2009, 09:15 PM
I can't take any credit for mentionintg this as it was in another thread, but I thought it worth lifting out of that thread and making some comment

the orginal post was

Looking into it, it needs the .net framwork 3.5 which was only put out in November 08 so it definitely has been around a while, but why no sensible mention from Oly -- goodness only knows

PaulE mentions it as a possible replacement for Orfshell, but the codecs are not used by Explorer but per the install page

This may sound like what's the point, but a number of more poweful applications are now offering this as an option and it's well worth being aware of it even if you don't use it initially. Some time ago I had a version of iMatch that had faulty ORF rendering [quickly fixed I have to say], and knowing that I could have swapped to another method within the software ( it provides this as an option) would have speeded my investigation into whether I was doing something wrong

I am one of the geeky types how like fiddling so I'll give it a go (already downloaded), but it won't be until after Easter

Thanks Paul

Regards
Andy

Well spotted Andy, you are right it is not an Orfshell substitute at all :o.

I had just assumed that it might have allowed thumbnail support but not any sort of support for viewing the full photo in picture / fax viewer etc, which I think is / was the case for the Vista codec? when I re-visted that codec page last night whilst following a link posted on another forum and noticed Windows XP mentioned I jumped to the conclusion that now thumbnails would work for ORFs in XP.

I'll edit my post in the Olympus Utilities thread shortly as what I posted is misleading as to it's function and might cause confusion. I'll make sure to test things out before mentioning something next time :o

Invicta
9th April 2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks Andy,

I will have to give this ago.

I had a truly awful support experience from Olympus with a problem with this software on Vista. I wonder if this version will resolve the issue.

Graham_of_Rainham
9th April 2009, 11:58 PM
I've installed it and used it with Windows Live Photo Gallery and it works very well.

*chr

Invicta
13th April 2009, 09:36 PM
Pleased to report that this new version of the RAW Codec fixes the issue I experienced with some RAW files not being converted.

e.g. this type of result is now history:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/633/Capture.JPG (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/10411)

Even better the thumbnail rendering is much much faster than before so using Windows Vista Explorer is now back as part of my workflow.

j.baker
14th April 2009, 08:35 AM
I have been using the Vista 64bit version for a while. When I upgraded to the latest version, I encountered some issues. The previewed images would not filly load and the white balanace was not being read.

Downgraded to the version that I had from November last year and all now works.