PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a Lens... how...?

theMusicMan
15th November 2007, 06:23 AM
Hi All

I have a lens, my fantastic Zuiko 14-54mm, and have ordered a UV filter for it that I remembered a few days ago hasn't yet arrived so I need to follow this up. However, during a shoot earlier this week - it loks like the gorgeous girl who I posted a hi-key image of yesterday put her grubby fingers on the lens as I was packing away and there's two darned fingerprints on the glass.

So, what substance should I use to clean the lens with, and what appliance should I use to use the substance to clean it with...?

I am in London today with a few hours spare around the 2:00 mark so I could pop to a camera store and get some stuff.

Any ideas please?

peak4
15th November 2007, 10:03 PM
Hi John, the blunt end of a lens pen seems to work quite well for me if I've been clumsy.

Jim Ford
14th December 2007, 09:58 PM
I've got a bottle of 'Kodak Lens Cleaner' I've had for <mumble,mumble> years. I put a couple of drops on a lens tissue and after blowing off any loose stuff, gently wipe the lens. I then breath on the lens and wipe dry with a new tissue. It's always worked a treat with smeary lenses and leaves them as good as new.

Jim Ford

Hiding_Pup
23rd December 2007, 01:19 AM
Ditto for Lenspen recommendation... Personally, I like the LCD Digiklear model for lens cleaning - the pointy corners make those hard-to-reach places less, well, hard-to-reach.

Glyn R
23rd December 2007, 05:11 PM
If you use fluid don't put it directly on the lens. I can get behind the front element. I use a blower brush and calotherm cloth.