PDA

View Full Version : Should I repair or renew?

DavidJ1609
6th April 2009, 02:51 AM
Hi,

I am in China, but still have a warranty for my E-400. It has developed a red line across the sensor that is clearly hardware related and won't budge after several pixel remaps.

It's only truly noticeable at high ISO, but anything over 400 will do it. Even a daylight shot, so it's not time related. (My ISO 100 shots don't show it even on long exposures.)

The problem.
1) The cost of returning it both ways.
2) The loss of my camera for over possibly a month ot two.
3) The possibility it will be returned without a fix after all that, or perhaps with new problems.

Number 1 is not a problem on it's own but, if number 3 is true, as I have read one or two negative posts about the European repair centre, then it certainly makes 2) and 3) together not worth it.

I would consider a 420. I would wait until the 400 gets worse.

Has anyone got real experience of the warranty repair turnaround and success or failure?

I have until 21st May to decide.

Thanks.

DavidJ.

mike_j
6th April 2009, 08:05 AM
I can't comment on repair service costs to and from China but in the UK you would pay postage one way only. When the camera is repaired you get a new 6 month warranty from the time of repair. This makes the camera saleable if you want to upgrade. As it is it is probably of no value.

DavidJ1609
6th April 2009, 09:15 AM
I can't comment on repair service costs to and from China but in the UK you would pay postage one way only. When the camera is repaired you get a new 6 month warranty from the time of repair. This makes the camera saleable if you want to upgrade. As it is it is probably of no value.

Well, the "2-year worldwide guarantee" that I was sold when I bought it is in fact 2-year Europe only. So, I have to post it to my parents and they will have to deal with it in the UK.

I am worried that it will take too long, and not be fixed. If, say, it costs anywhere near 100 for the round trip, insured express etc., then the balance to a new body would be tempting to save the stress.

However, I am not made of money. If the repair is likely to be quick and painless, I would opt for that. Then the FL-36 or another lens can stay in my sights. :D

DavidJ.