PDA

View Full Version : 3rd party split focus screen for E-510

j.baker
5th January 2008, 10:58 AM
I recently purchased a 3rd party split focus screen for my E-510 (after the original screen got tree resin on it and my local camera shop could not clean it).

I purchased the item from eBay and it cost around 14 pounds delivered.

You get a small plastic screen in some sticky plastic covering. The screen is very easy to install, Google for instructions. The screen is slightly larger than the original Olympus, and needs a small amount of force to install. It is easy to remove.

I have done several tests comparing manual focus and automatic focus. There is a very minor difference between the camera and my focusing when used on my 70-300mm >200mm. It is very minor.

Pros
Err, itís a split focus screen
Itís cheap

Cons
Slight larger than Olympus screen
No focus LEDS

I will be purchasing several more when the supplier gets some more stock.

Here is the link to the store

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RJ-camera-accessory-store_split-image-focusing-screen_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ12011587QQftidZ2QQtZ km

BTW, it appears that Luton cameras can supply Olympus focus screens. Olympus told me to call them. I have one on order.

I will try to post an image later on.

j.baker
5th January 2008, 11:03 AM
Screen images

Jim Ford
5th January 2008, 01:20 PM
I recently purchased a 3rd party split focus screen for my E-510 (after the original screen got tree resin on it and my local camera shop could not clean it).

I'm surprised - I would think if it's a conifer resin, alcohol would remove it with a good soaking.

I bought one for my E500 from here (another Chinese Ebay Supplier):

http://tinyurl.com/2xcesb

It fitted perfectly - and was cheaper than yours!

Jim Ford

j.baker
5th January 2008, 03:25 PM
Nice find. The one that I purchased also had the little plastic tab, and it also had the rule of thirds markings on the screen.

How do you find the manual focusing compared to the cameras auto-focus?

Jim Ford
5th January 2008, 07:35 PM
Nice find. The one that I purchased also had the little plastic tab, and it also had the rule of thirds markings on the screen.

How do you find the manual focusing compared to the cameras auto-focus?

Manual focus is fine - it really makes a big difference with the manual lenses I've tried, especially large aperture ones.

Jim