PDA

View Full Version : Firmware Version and EXIF

peak4
5th January 2008, 10:34 AM
Following on from the E-3 focussing topic on this group and elsewhere. It seems it would be useful in the diagnosis for Olympus to know if the firmware version of the lens can be read when the mis-focus issue has arisen. It would be handy if one could look at a past shot with a perceived problem and see if the firmware could be read at the time.
Phil Harvey's EXIF tool allows this. embeded in the exif data is the lens and body firmware version, amongst loads of other information, both useful and unexplained.
The latest version (currently up to 7.08) may be obtained at;

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

I don't know of course if the lens firmware version is read into the camera when the lens is fitted/powered up, or for each shutter release. Perhaps someone with an Oly contact may be able to clarify this.

I've posted this as another topic since the EXIF tool is such a good program that it would be a shame for users of other bodies to miss out.

Barr1e
5th January 2008, 11:39 AM
Following on from the E-3 focussing topic on this group and elsewhere. It seems it would be useful in the diagnosis for Olympus to know if the firmware version of the lens can be read when the mis-focus issue has arisen. It would be handy if one could look at a past shot with a perceived problem and see if the firmware could be read at the time.
Phil Harvey's EXIF tool allows this. embeded in the exif data is the lens and body firmware version, amongst loads of other information, both useful and unexplained.
The latest version (currently up to 7.08) may be obtained at;

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

I don't know of course if the lens firmware version is read into the camera when the lens is fitted/powered up, or for each shutter release. Perhaps someone with an Oly contact may be able to clarify this.

I've posted this as another topic since the EXIF tool is such a good program that it would be a shame for users of other bodies to miss out.

Seems to be quite a nifty program. It not only shows which lens has been used but gives the serial number too.

Thanks for the link.

Regards. Barr1e

CaptainD
5th January 2008, 02:07 PM
Thanks very much for bringing this nice piece of software to my attention. It looks really useful. It contiually amazes me just how good freeware can be.

Cheers

Chris

Nick Temple-Fry
5th January 2008, 02:50 PM
There is also a GUI available - so you can run it as an ordinary windows application.

Thanks for bringing this tool to my attention

http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/foto/exif/exiftoolgui.htm

Nick

Barr1e
5th January 2008, 04:38 PM
There is also a GUI available - so you can run it as an ordinary windows application.

Thanks for bringing this tool to my attention

http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/foto/exif/exiftoolgui.htm

Nick

Have you this (GUI) running under Vista Nick please.

Regards. Barr1e

Nick Temple-Fry
5th January 2008, 04:56 PM

Regards. Barr1e

Haven't tried yet - I downloaded on my XP machine - might give it a go this evening after I've cooked dinner

Nick

Barr1e
5th January 2008, 05:21 PM
Haven't tried yet - I downloaded on my XP machine - might give it a go this evening after I've cooked dinner

Nick

Thanks Nick. Just off for a curry.

Regards.

Barr1e

Nick Temple-Fry
5th January 2008, 08:34 PM

Regards. Barr1e

Yes - no problem if

a) download and extract the exiftool to a seperate folder
b) delete the -k from the name of the exiftool
c) download exiftoolgui and then extract into the same folder as the renamed exiftool

Nick

Barr1e
5th January 2008, 09:01 PM
Yes - no problem if

a) download and extract the exiftool to a seperate folder
b) delete the -k from the name of the exiftool
c) download exiftoolgui and then extract into the same folder as the renamed exiftool

Nick

Thanks for that Nick. Amazing how much extra info is discovered over that of what I am already running.

Regards. Barr1e

ps - I enjoyed your website.