PDA

View Full Version : Climate Change - can you belive this?

Zuiko
9th May 2019, 03:24 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48185793?SThisFB&fbclid=IwAR3k7j6CLKBwD8XuBlELJIHjHmwX4tcKHsIjz13UI ex0-avJUJRbQ1b5BN8

The bit that alarms me most is Pompeo suggesting that the melting of the Artic ice is a good thing because it will open up new trade rotes for shipping! :eek:

Graham_of_Rainham
9th May 2019, 03:31 PM
So what is his solution for the container ports being underwater...

DerekW
9th May 2019, 03:46 PM
Manahattan, Mar-a-Largo etc would all go underwater.

I hope he has flood insurance cover.

Dewi9
9th May 2019, 04:51 PM
I think a remark was also made about the melting of the Arctic Ice would 'also make it easier for the exploration and harvesting of mineral resources in the area'.

Big Money overides all.

David

Naughty Nigel
9th May 2019, 05:11 PM
Have these people been living under a stone for the past thirty years? :(

Is making money and plundering every last vestige of the earth's resources before they retire the only thing that matters to them?

pdk42
9th May 2019, 05:24 PM
The whole US administration is rotten to the core. Corrupt, arrogant, ignorant, vindictive, racist, money-grabbing. They lack any vision for humanity or the citizens of their own country. All that matters is narrow political favour and filling their pockets. I hope the US electorate come to realise the peril we're all in because of them in time for the 2020 elections.

Naughty Nigel
9th May 2019, 05:32 PM
The whole US administration is rotten to the core. Corrupt, arrogant, ignorant, vindictive, racist, money-grabbing. They lack any vision for humanity or the citizens of their own country. All that matters is narrow political favour and filling their pockets. I hope the US electorate come to realise the peril we're all in because of them in time for the 2020 elections.

I have to agree with you on that Paul; I just wish I could believe the American opposition was better.

Unfortunately corruption, arrogance, ignorance, vindictiveness, racism, money-grabbing and environmental vandalism seem to be a way of life for far too many Americans. Worse still, there are people in this country who worship them for it. :(

Zuiko
9th May 2019, 06:14 PM
I'm coming to the view that it's time for the rest of the world to impose severe economic sanctions on America until they start to act more responsibly.

TimP
9th May 2019, 06:58 PM

Completely agree. The problem is that so many of the orange idiots core voters are just plain thick. He will probably get in again in 2020 and its further downhill from there. Frankly Im amazed weve gone nearly three years now with him in charge and were all still here.

Naughty Nigel
9th May 2019, 07:51 PM
I'm coming to the view that it's time for the rest of the world to impose severe economic sanctions on America until they start to act more responsibly.

Why not? The Americans are very fond of imposing punitive sanctions on any regime they don't like.

pdk42
9th May 2019, 07:59 PM

Ha, ha - I'd vote for that. Trexit anyone?

Naughty Nigel
9th May 2019, 08:10 PM
Ha, ha - I'd vote for that. Trexit anyone?

Would we leave on good terms with a customs union? And what about British tax exiles living in the USA? Would there be freedom of movement for them? ;)

Otto
10th May 2019, 08:52 AM
Unfortunately corruption, arrogance, ignorance, vindictiveness, racism, money-grabbing and environmental vandalism seem to be a way of life for far too many Americans.

I'm not sure it's confined to Americans ...

Wally
10th May 2019, 02:25 PM
With all this talk about corruption, arrogance, ignorance, vindictiveness, racism, money-grabbing and environmental vandalism etc., ect., in other countries, perhaps we should concentrate to get our own house in order before sorting all the others.

Naughty Nigel
10th May 2019, 02:36 PM
With all this talk about corruption, arrogance, ignorance, vindictiveness, racism, money-grabbing and environmental vandalism etc., ect., in other countries, perhaps we should concentrate to get our own house in order before sorting all the others.

Which 'house' were you thinking of Wally? The one with green leather seats or red leather seats? ;)

MJ224
10th May 2019, 04:49 PM
We all like to throw stones at those who stick their heads above the parapet....

I agree that not all of the American institutions are fantastic, certainly not at this moment. At this time there is an aberration in their politics, bit like our at the mo. The USA is still ( or will be again) a force for the good IMHO. Things like Space Exploration, Silicon Valley (yes Windows :), the film industry (yea OK???), world trade are mostly for the good. I understand the argument that some of these must be changed for the good-survival of the world as we know it, but its not just USA that needs to change.

My only a couple of times in California and Hawaii leads me to believe that the people are just like us, really only wanting to lead a reasonable life. But there again, I only meet my kind of people, not the extraordinary rich who do slap the climate and personal footprint in the face......Oh ***t, we are a loser for certain.:(:(

wornish
10th May 2019, 05:00 PM
The average American is just like the average Brit. Politicians are just bad wherever you look. I am amazed at the anti-US comments on here.

wornish
10th May 2019, 08:52 PM
Completely agree. The problem is that so many of the orange idiots core voters are just plain thick. He will probably get in again in 2020 and its further downhill from there. Frankly Im amazed weve gone nearly three years now with him in charge and were all still here.

So you saying people who want their country back are idiots? Despite all of Trump's shortcomings, he has achieved more for America than Obama did in two terms.

Heard the same claims about those that voted Brexit in this country.

Ah well, looking forward to May 23rd, let's see.

Zuiko
11th May 2019, 08:49 AM
I'm not anti American per se but in the context of Climate Change, which is what this thread is about, I am going to criticize their Government strongly because their refusal to acknowledge that there is a problem is making a desperate situation even worse and that effects the whole world, not just America. Pompeo's declaration that global warming is a good thing because it will open new shipping routes through the Artic ice is plain stupid and extremely dangerous.

TimP
11th May 2019, 09:37 AM
So you saying people who want their country back are idiots? Despite all of Trump's shortcomings, he has achieved more for America than Obama did in two terms.

Heard the same claims about those that voted Brexit in this country.

Ah well, looking forward to May 23rd, let's see.
Yes, Im saying a huge amount of trumps core voters are idiots, complete redneck idiots. Weve a few American friends and meet many on travels and to a man they all apologise for trump. Weve even had people come up to us in the street, after hearing us speak English and actually apologise. Theyve gone out of their way to do so. These are perhaps educated and well travelled Americans but without exception they have all apologised.
Obviously the trump supporters have kept quiet.
Id love to ask a trump supporter exactly how they, personally, are better off under trump. I expect theyd struggle to name one thing.
The man is a dangerous, narcissistic misogynist and the sooner hes gone the safer the world will be.

Otto
11th May 2019, 10:17 AM
Same goes for our present bunch of headless chickens!

Naughty Nigel
11th May 2019, 11:38 AM
The man [Trump] is a dangerous, narcissistic misogynist and the sooner hes gone the safer the world will be.

I cannot disagree with that Tim, but from everything that I have read and heard Hillary Clinton was just as dangerous as Trump, if not more so.

Americans voted for Trump because he promised to put America first; something which the American electorate obviously felt previous administration(s) had failed to do. It is just the same with Brexit and immigration in this country.

Sadly modern politics means that nobody gets anywhere near The Whitehouse without already being obscenely rich and autocratic, and self made $billionaires are rarely nice people to live with. In any case, why would a narcissistic, 70 year old self-made $billionare be bothered about what happens to the environment in twenty years time?

wornish
11th May 2019, 12:03 PM
Yes, Im saying a huge amount of trumps core voters are idiots, complete redneck idiots. Weve a few American friends and meet many on travels and to a man they all apologise for trump. Weve even had people come up to us in the street, after hearing us speak English and actually apologise. Theyve gone out of their way to do so. These are perhaps educated and well travelled Americans but without exception they have all apologised.
Obviously the trump supporters have kept quiet.
Id love to ask a trump supporter exactly how they, personally, are better off under trump. I expect theyd struggle to name one thing.
The man is a dangerous, narcissistic misogynist and the sooner hes gone the safer the world will be.

Wow!
I agree Trump and most of his top officials are not nice but neither was his predecessor and certainly not the alternative choice at the last presidential election. I think America has a population of around 350 million and a significant proportion of those voted for Trump's policies. So you believe almost 100 million Americans are idiots because you disagree with how they voted?

Seeing as how this thread is about climate change and following your logic is everyone who doesn't vote for The Green Party also an idiot?

TimP
11th May 2019, 02:44 PM
In any case, why would a narcissistic, 70 year old self-made $billionare be bothered about what happens to the environment in twenty years time?

Self made? He inherited it from his father and has proceeded to lose most of it ever since, the recent tax info has gone some way to proving that too.

TimP
11th May 2019, 02:56 PM
Wow!
I agree Trump and most of his top officials are not nice but neither was his predecessor and certainly not the alternative choice at the last presidential election. I think America has a population of around 350 million and a significant proportion of those voted for Trump's policies. So you believe almost 100 million Americans are idiots because you disagree with how they voted?

Seeing as how this thread is about climate change and following your logic is everyone who doesn't vote for The Green Party also an idiot?

100 million? (Is that all?) Possibly.
Im not sure Ive seen the numbers of people that actually voted for the tweeting idiot but Hillary got more voters (the popular vote) but I doubt its anywhere near 100million, but like I said no idea.
Similar proportion in this country too, seeing as how the Sun and the Daily Mail are the best selling newspapers. Oddly the demographic that prefers the Mail should be much less likely to be the thickos. Not sure how that works.

Sadly the Green Party are a one trick pony. UK politics is in a complete mess at the moment, I cant see how its going to get itself out of the mess. We dont seem to be being governed while no one is actually looking at sorting Brexit either, is it any wonder the Tories are at each others throats, meanwhile Labour are utterly failing to capitalise on any of it! Enough!

wornish
11th May 2019, 04:09 PM
100 million? (Is that all?) Possibly.
I’m not sure I’ve seen the numbers of people that actually voted for the tweeting idiot but Hillary got more voters (the popular vote) but I doubt it’s anywhere near 100million, but like I said no idea.
Similar proportion in this country too, seeing as how the Sun and the Daily Mail are the best selling newspapers. Oddly the demographic that prefers the Mail should be much less likely to be the thickos. Not sure how that works.

Sadly the Green Party are a one trick pony. UK politics is in a complete mess at the moment, I can’t see how it’s going to get itself out of the mess. We don’t seem to be being governed while no one is actually looking at sorting Brexit either, is it any wonder the Tories are at each other’s throats, meanwhile Labour are utterly failing to capitalise on any of it! Enough!

I have no idea either as to the exact numbers who actually voted for either candidate in the US but it's certainly in the 10's of millions.

Have to say you have a very interesting opinion of people if you disagree with their viewpoint they must be thick!

So who would you vote for in the UK given today's choices?

drmarkf
11th May 2019, 06:02 PM
... but neither was his predecessor ...

:rolleyes:*crazy