PDA

View Full Version : Improved repair service - a different kind of wish for Watanabe-san

Gwyver
4th April 2009, 02:46 PM
Ian,
Apologies if this post is not in the appropriate sub-forum.

Having read this and Tony Spore's US based fourthirdsphoto.com forum almost every day for the past 18 months, I am continually reminded how unsatisfactory the Olympus UK/European camera repair service is in comparison with their US operations.

In the USA Olympus service centres turn round camera repairs in 3~4 days - in the UK/Europe a comparable repair time is typically 3~4 weeks.
The experiences reported by this forum's members show that is not uncommon for cameras returned from the European repair service to still exhibit their original fault or - even worse - to have acquired new problems.

I'm sure many forum members would welcome your asking Watanabe-san why Olympus DSLR owners in Europe only merit this second class service (is it lack of staff, inadequate spare parts inventory, poor training/skills, bad QC, ...) and what plans he and his colleagues have to remedy this situation.

IMO this issue is as important as providing ever more new technical features. Surely it is cheaper for Olympus to keep customers who are happy with the after-sales experience than to gain new purchasers.

Personally I'm delighted with my investment in the E3 & ZD lenses - but the reports on this and it's sister forum have deterred me from sending back my low serial no. 12~60 SWD for the service recall.

mike_j
4th April 2009, 03:51 PM
I have had to use the Olympus UK repair service twice. In each case they were prompt enough, I think 2 weeks door to door is a pretty fair speed for a postal service and the standard of service was excellent. The 50-200 lens was repaired under warranty without question even though I didn't buy it new, and the e-510 had a complete new back and LCD fitted, even though the fault was only the USB connector. In both cases the unit was given a full check and a new 6 month guarantee.

From the time Olympus gave me a service number I could check the repair progress on line.

I certainly have no complaints with Olympus service.

MarkVarley
4th April 2009, 04:41 PM
My experience with olympus service, for what it's worth.

One of our cameras, E500, had it just over a year, had a bent pin in the CF slot, took it to the shop who sent it to olympus (gave us a new body to use in the meantime), 2 weeks later, word came back via the shop to the effect of 'nothing to do with us mate, you're on your own', when we got it back something else was wrong with it, unreliable read/write in both card slots, sent it straight back, raised a little hell, olympus just replaced the main board (of which the card slots are a part of), turned it around in 8 days.

During this the camera shop was out of pocket by converting a new body into a used one by lending it so us, free of charge, for three weeks, the shop was Jacobs in 'the city' (north end of London Bridge).

Olympus managed to send the camera back worse than it was when they got it = incompetance, they solved the problem they caused and the original problem in a week = pretty good actually.

Ian
4th April 2009, 06:28 PM
My experience with olympus service, for what it's worth.

One of our cameras, E500, had it just over a year, had a bent pin in the CF slot, took it to the shop who sent it to olympus (gave us a new body to use in the meantime), 2 weeks later, word came back via the shop to the effect of 'nothing to do with us mate, you're on your own', when we got it back something else was wrong with it, unreliable read/write in both card slots, sent it straight back, raised a little hell, olympus just replaced the main board (of which the card slots are a part of), turned it around in 8 days.

During this the camera shop was out of pocket by converting a new body into a used one by lending it so us, free of charge, for three weeks, the shop was Jacobs in 'the city' (north end of London Bridge).

Olympus managed to send the camera back worse than it was when they got it = incompetance, they solved the problem they caused and the original problem in a week = pretty good actually.

It's one of the remits of this site to help customers in situations where ther service process has gone wrong and I'm pleased that we have managed to help a small number of people in this way - a small number as in reality they are a small unlucky minority.

Ian

Wreckdiver
4th April 2009, 08:01 PM
I have just had a lens repaired by Olympus in Watford. Their communication and feedback were excellent, they did a superb job and the charges were very reasonable. It did take 4 weeks door to door though.

Steve

sapper
5th April 2009, 06:33 PM
Did the camera get repaired in Watford or posted to Portugal?