PDA

View Full Version : World is angry and stressed, Gallup report says

Naughty Nigel
26th April 2019, 03:00 PM
People around the world are becoming more angry, stressed and worried, according to a new global survey. (BBC Report) (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-48063982)

So where are we going wrong? The big advertisers would have us believe that if we just buy their products and adopt their lifestyles our lives will be fulfilled and complete, and everyone else in the world will look up to us. It seems they were wrong. Maybe consumerism wasn't the answer at all. Who would have guessed it?

I find it interesting that Paraguay, Panama, Guatemala, Mexico and El Salvador are listed as the most positive places to live, yet these are not wealthy countries. What do they have that we don't, or more to the point, what have they held on to that we have turned our backs on?

Beagletorque
26th April 2019, 03:02 PM
Utter bolloox, I don't why you keep coming up with this sh1t.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

TimP
26th April 2019, 03:53 PM
Perhaps we can look to the media and cast some blame that way. Look at social media, same thing. Instagram influencers or some such bollox. Thick people see this stuff and want it, want it without having to work for it.
Leave Uni with a degree in Kylie Minogue and think they can waltz straight into a CEO position, yet strangely have no life experience. Max out credit cards and then wonder why they are in debt... I won’t go on as I get into trouble if I do!

Naughty Nigel
26th April 2019, 04:35 PM
Perhaps we can look to the media and cast some blame that way. Look at social media, same thing. Instagram influencers or some such bollox. Thick people see this stuff and want it, want it without having to work for it.
Leave Uni with a degree in Kylie Minogue and think they can waltz straight into a CEO position, yet strangely have no life experience. Max out credit cards and then wonder why they are in debt... I wont go on as I get into trouble if I do!

Isn't a lot of this driven by the demand for year-on-year growth though? Likewise environmental destruction.

Darkroom
26th April 2019, 04:36 PM
What do they have that we don't, or more to the point, what have they held on to that we have turned our backs on?

In the case of Mexico, 33,000 homicides in one year.

Naughty Nigel
26th April 2019, 04:40 PM

Which makes the question all the more searching.....

TimP
26th April 2019, 04:48 PM

Id hazard a guess that a high proportion of those are drug related and inter gang.
All helps drain the swamp.

Zuiko
26th April 2019, 06:26 PM
People around the world are becoming more angry, stressed and worried, according to a new global survey. (BBC Report) (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-48063982)

So where are we going wrong? The big advertisers would have us believe that if we just buy their products and adopt their lifestyles our lives will be fulfilled and complete, and everyone else in the world will look up to us. It seems they were wrong. Maybe consumerism wasn't the answer at all. Who would have guessed it?

I find it interesting that Paraguay, Panama, Guatemala, Mexico and El Salvador are listed as the most positive places to live, yet these are not wealthy countries. What do they have that we don't, or more to the point, what have they held on to that we have turned our backs on?

Maybe they have realised that a spectacular sunrise is worth more than a Rolex watch.

Wally
26th April 2019, 07:24 PM
;) I came into this world with nothing and when I leave, I'll be taking most of it with me. *yes

Naughty Nigel
27th April 2019, 03:12 PM
;) I came into this world with nothing and when I leave, I'll be taking most of it with me. *yes

The cameras might be a bit awkward though. Especially when SWMBO works out how many there are and how much they really cost! *yes

TimP
27th April 2019, 04:03 PM
The cameras might be a bit awkward though. Especially when SWMBO works out how many there are and how much they really cost! *yes

By then it wont matter!

Jax
27th April 2019, 05:55 PM
By then it wont matter!

So very true ! Besides, the cameras are only splash proof not heat proof :D

Jax

Wally
27th April 2019, 07:09 PM
So very true ! Besides, the cameras are only splash proof not heat proof :D Jax

*chr Thankx for the reminder... Need to get a few cans of the 'gives me wings' bevy *yes just to make sure I go up instead of down. ;)

Need to make sure I go on the final journey when it's dark. Don't want to do an Icarus and nakerus.

pandora
30th April 2019, 06:02 AM
Maybe they have realised that a spectacular sunrise is worth more than a Rolex watch.
Only those that haven't a Rolex watch.

shenstone
30th April 2019, 06:26 AM
My Rolex cost me "10 dollars mister... Genuine ..."
I don't think either of us were fooled, it was and has been fun to buy and ware.

Back to the point. IMO people have always got angry and stressed, but with rolling news and constant social media they don't take as much time to calm down before reaction. Something I'm trying learn to do

Regards
Andy