View Full Version : Warning for Apple users

Keith-369
26th April 2019, 11:35 AM
A problem with Apple plugs -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48065422

*chr

TimP
26th April 2019, 01:06 PM
I wonder how many other companies out there would replace a mains plug from 2003-2009?
I’ve only got an iPod and possibly a laptop, not sure when I got my first iPhone but it might be 2009. Not sure I can be arsed to even go look. If the plug looks dangerous then it would go in the bin, it’s not like you couldn’t substitute a standard ‘figure of 8’ IEC C7 anyway.

Otto
26th April 2019, 01:21 PM
It's not especially clear from the article exactly which plugs are specifically the issue. It first of all states that "the AC wall plug adapter shipped with Macs and some iOS devices between 2003 and 2010" and then later on that "Apple USB power adapters are not affected". As far as I'm aware all iOS devices (iPods, iPhoes, iPads) are charged from a USB socket or the 3-pin USB adapter so this is somewhat contradictory. Either way, if the housing on mine cracks and exposes live parts I for one won't be plugging it in!

Keith-369
26th April 2019, 01:30 PM
Here is Apples own version of the problem -

https://www.apple.com/support/three-prong-ac-wall-plug-adapter/

*chr

TimP
26th April 2019, 01:34 PM
There’s pictures and it’s only the 3-pin plug part with the moulded C7 connector that’s apparently at risk (had 6 issues in the world)
Having said I couldn’t be arsed I did go and have a shifty for interests sake and found one supposedly affected plug, strangely it’s marked “Volex”. A long respected manufacturer I believe, certainly one that’s been around for longer than the Apple plug issue.
The dodgy ones are plain white around the C7 bit and the slot for the sliding metal fixing. The unafffected ones are light grey in them there parts!
Haven’t had a good 240v belt for a few years now, I kinda miss the old jolt, gets the brain going!

TimP
26th April 2019, 01:38 PM
Here is Apples own version of the problem -

https://www.apple.com/support/three-prong-ac-wall-plug-adapter/

*chr

At the bottom of that page there is a wonderful phrase that Iím wondering might be a spelling mistake.

ď.... duckheads....Ē.

What are they fercryingoutloud?

Otto
26th April 2019, 01:55 PM
I suspect Autocorrect :D.

Chipper
26th April 2019, 01:55 PM
So, do we send them somewhere? Perhaps I missed a bit in the article.

TimP
26th April 2019, 02:02 PM
First off you’ll need the serial number of the item they were supplied with. Knowing Apple I wouldn’t mind betting they will send you a pre-paid shipping box to return them in. Alternatively if you’ve got an Apple Store handy then just rock up there with the duff bits and serial numbers and jobs a good ‘un.

Wally
26th April 2019, 02:08 PM
Just checked mine and it looks like one of the aflicted. ;) Just need to find my nearest Apple store after the local one was shut down some months back back... which, after checking is Gateshead or Newcastle.

TimP
26th April 2019, 02:27 PM
I daren't take mine to an Apple Store as I’ll come home with a laptop or something!

Shaw
26th April 2019, 03:21 PM
Thereís pictures and itís only the 3-pin plug part with the moulded C7 connector thatís apparently at risk (had 6 issues in the world)
Having said I couldnít be arsed I did go and have a shifty for interests sake and found one supposedly affected plug, strangely itís marked ďVolexĒ. A long respected manufacturer I believe, certainly one thatís been around for longer than the Apple plug issue.
The dodgy ones are plain white around the C7 bit and the slot for the sliding metal fixing. The unafffected ones are light grey in them there parts!
Havenít had a good 240v belt for a few years now, I kinda miss the old jolt, gets the brain going!

I have two of them by 'VOLEX'