PDA

View Full Version : Raw developers

Ijay37
5th January 2008, 12:00 AM
Hi I have read quite a few posts on the different raw software available a lot of which I'm afraid went over my head, would anyone care to recommend a program which is simple to use!
Regards John (getting older by the day):confused:

theMusicMan
5th January 2008, 12:05 AM
Lightroom, or Capture One V4 (though haven't actually used this app, read good reports)

I shouldn't be phased by RAW software, they are usually quite intuitive, and easy to use, and extends ones skillset outwith the camera. What went over your head John...? How can we help explain?

Ijay37
5th January 2008, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the quick reply I had been using Rawshooter Essentials (is this what became lightroom?) I found rawshooter quite easy to use but of course it dosn't support the E-3. I find that now I'm getting on a bit it takes me a lot longer to take things in and I get frustrated and give up to easily, I will have to try harder and of course I will come to the forum for help.
Regards John

theMusicMan
5th January 2008, 12:39 AM
No probs re replying quickly... you are welcome.

Phah... getting on a bit...!!! you are doing just fine there, no probs at all.

You might like to try out LightRoom as it has a free 30 day trial, as does Capture One V4 too. Both applications replicate a form of workflow, and aid the development process... i.e. camera to print/web.

The entire process is very easy to follow, and isn't mandatory - you can jump to whatever you want to do at any point. Both apps also act as a photo librarian allowing you to quickly locate any image by using search features (names etc), meta data (by dates, by keywords, by lens etc).

Once you have imported the images from your camera or CF (or other) card, during which you can specify the location to which you want the images imported, and assign any meta data and appropriate file names - all the images in this import will then appear as thumbnails (in Lightroom).

You can then scroll up and down to locate the image you want to work on, then simply double click on the image and it will open up that image full screen. You can then use the tools to crop, rotate, straighten, red eye removal, clone/repair tool, and then onto the specific development tools such as WB, sharpening, saturation, exposure, recovery, fill light etc. In fact there are a load of parameters that you can play with - all with no damage to the original file which can easily be 'reset' back to its original imported state.

Once you are ready with your final image, its simply a process of exporting this in whatever format you require, at whatever dimensions you require, or printing directly from the application itself.

Honestly... it isn't difficult... and we are all here to help if need be.

Go on... try Lightroom, free for 30 days... you can get it from here

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom

Once you have set the

sapper
5th January 2008, 10:16 AM
I used Rawshooter then got Lightroom, very similar and I would recommend it too.
Dave.

Paulpp
5th January 2008, 10:57 AM
Have been following this and other threads with interest as I have used Aperture, BUT (please note Apple) am fed up with the slow raw support for new models.
Am trying Capture One which seems to work very well with raw files but I cannot see that it will adjust jpg's. On my version I cannot seem to use, e.g levels, on jpg's.
If anyone has a way around this would be interested, or do I have to upgrade to the full version for this.
Am using Capture One v4 on an iMac.
Incidentally if anyone wants it (it is the "lite" version) it was being given away with Scandisk CF cards certainly recently .