PDA

View Full Version : Hello

beyond_words
3rd April 2009, 09:37 AM
Hello everyone,

Thought it was about time to introduce myself after browsing these boards for a good few months, not to mention entering a couple of shots in the Beauty of Winter competition.

My first camera was a Praktica MTL 5, given to me by my dad when I was 18 or so, but as I wasn't really passionate about photography then it lay mostly unused after the initial excitement had worn off. My interest was rekindled by a girlfriend in 2001 who was mad keen on photography and who encouraged me to buy a Canon EOS 300 and take a black & white photography class at nightschool, which I ended up doing for the next three years. During that time I became interested in Olympus cameras and bought an OM-1n and a selection of lenses. I still have it; it's so easy to focus and just I love the size and feel of those Zuiko lenses. I also set up my own darkroom at home and continued developing and printing after I'd outgrown the nightschool classes.

I bought my first DSLR off eBay in December 2006 (an E-1 and 14-54mm lens) to see what all the fuss was about concerning digital. I loved it, but despite upgrading to an E-3 I don't think I'll ever sell the E-1 as I won the 2008 Penicuik Turner Prize -- not to be confused with *the* Turner Prize of 40,000 organised by the Tate Gallery (I wish) -- with the following shot: Frosty Wrought Iron Spiral (http://www.flickr.com/photos/graeme_pow/3024651132/).

Well, I'd better stop waffling and get back to work. I've spotted a few folk from Scotland on here; anyone near Edinburgh? Photography can be such a lonely pursuit sometimes. I'm also part of Brian Mosley's Olympus Photo Safari Group (http://www.ukphotosafari.org/scotland-edinburgh/) if anyone's interested. It would be good to meet up. Just need a wee push!

All the best to you, and good shooting,

Graeme

P.S. My forum name is the name of perhaps Britain's best retailer of photographic books: Beyond Words (http://www.beyondwords.co.uk/) (if you don't know it it's in Edinburgh, down Cockburn Street, which links the Royal Mile with the Waverley)

emirpprime
3rd April 2009, 10:17 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

That's a great shot of the frosty spiral you have there.

I look forward to seeing some more photos from you - and good luck in the Beauty of Winter comp.

All the best,
Phil

Ian
3rd April 2009, 10:19 AM
Hi Graeme, a belated welcome to the site and well down with your frosted railing image success!

The E-1 is a special camera and I'm keeping mine, though I'm tempted to have it IR converted.

Looking forward to see more of your work here.

Maybe we will see you on an e-group meet some time later this year?

I was in Edinburgh last year, and a great time was had by all (attending a launch of A.N.Other DSLR :eek:)

Ian

Kiwi Paul
3rd April 2009, 01:59 PM
Welcome to the forum, hope to see more of your work and hope to see you joining in the discussions on the forums.

I live in Aberdeen and over the summer etc will be doing trips all over the place to find new things to photogragh so maybe we can arrange to meet somewhere between Aberdeen and Edin sometime for a photo shoot.

cheers,

Paul

angelpaaul
3rd April 2009, 02:46 PM
Hi Graeme,

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay here.

Like you, I too own an E-1 (2 in fact) and they are rather special.

By the way, do you live any where near Currie? A pal of mine lived there a couple of years ago, a great place to live.

Regards - Paul

Barr1e
3rd April 2009, 05:16 PM
Hi -

A welcome from me too.

Regards. Barr1e

beyond_words
6th April 2009, 09:09 AM
What a fab welcome -- thanks Phil, Ian, Paul, Paul and Barr1e.

In answer to Ian: I'll certainly keep my eye on your e-group meetings as I think it would be great to attend one. About the possibility of getting your E-1 converted to IR, do you know anywhere in the UK that could do it? I know of a company called LifePixel (http://www.lifepixel.com/) but they're in the US and don't list the E-1 as an option (only the E3xx, E4xx and E5xx series). Their prices are pretty sobering too.

To Paul (Woofmix): I like the idea of meeting up for a shoot between Edinburgh and Aberdeen, sounds like a plan. I'll PM you so we can work something out, and perhaps stick the date in the calendar here so anyone else who's free can come along.

To Paul (angelpaaul): You've got two E-1s? Now that's just decadent. :) I know Currie -- it is a nice area to live -- but (alas) I live on the east side of town, near Arthur's Seat and the Salisbury Crags.

All the best,

Graeme

StephenL
15th July 2009, 03:03 PM
Don't know how I missed you, I think I was away!

I live east of Edinburgh, between Longniddry and Aberlady. Give us a shout if you want a meet-up sometime (I usually work weekends).

ringneck
20th July 2009, 01:05 PM
Welcome Graeme...not been here long myself either.

I see you have a great background and your Frosty shot deserves to be in the final 12 (congrats on winning with it already),only trouble is I have one there...Oh well theres always next time.... He he.
Only been to the Capital once for 2 days and we loved it...so many brilliant buildings...not just the well known ones but the general architecture as well.And the drive back through the borders was fantastic and it was only January.
Got to "get back up north" soon
All the best
Keith*chr

beyond_words
22nd July 2009, 07:11 AM
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the welcome -- welcome to you too! -- and kind words about my frosty photo making it into the The Beauty of Winter competition short list, although I think yours (and everyone else's) is just as deserving if not more.

Let me know when you're up this way again, I'd be happy to meet up and give you a tour; it's been a while since I've been to Birmingham, but I have a yearning to return, and not just for the famous curry houses!

With best wishes,

Graeme