PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Folding Phone

wornish
17th April 2019, 09:07 PM
Oh dear, it seems there is a problem with the early Samsung units.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/04/17/samsungs-1800-folding-phone-breaking-two-days/

Have to say I am not surprised what piece of basic physics am I missing. If you fold something back and forward it creases or at least show a folding mark.
Only £1800 so no big deal.

TimP
18th April 2019, 10:35 AM
It’s gonna crack or split eventually too surely, having ‘ work hardened’

Jim Ford
18th April 2019, 12:06 PM
I expect that they've done their homework. In the Science Museum there's an apparatus for testing just that sort of thing - exercising a plastic hinge millions of times.

Jim

pdk42
18th April 2019, 12:08 PM
I find it hard to believe that an active TFT/OLED screen can survive being folded several thousand times. Personally, I'd not want to be an early adopter - whatever the price (but £1500 + for a phone is just crazy even if it can tap-dance and do pirouettes!).

TimP
18th April 2019, 04:29 PM
I expect that they've done their homework. In the Science Museum there's an apparatus for testing just that sort of thing - exercising a plastic hinge millions of times.

Jim

Well, it appears that they havenít done their homework, given the damage caused after just a couple of days use.

Naughty Nigel
18th April 2019, 08:39 PM
I find it hard to believe that an active TFT/OLED screen can survive being folded several thousand times. Personally, I'd not want to be an early adopter - whatever the price (but £1500 + for a phone is just crazy even if it can tap-dance and do pirouettes!).

You would need to have more money than sense to spend that amount on a mobile phone. Just my humble opinion of course, but you can do so much on a phone costing a fraction of that so why waste your money?

I have had my Sony Z3 for about fours years now and I am still learning new tricks on it. It certainly does everything that I want.

Jim Ford
18th April 2019, 09:16 PM
You would need to have more money than sense

Or be an Apple fanatic!

to spend that amount on a mobile phone.

Jim

TimP
19th April 2019, 07:49 AM
Have to say that I can see a point to this device. As someone who is surgically attached to his iPad, I can see the advantage of having the two devices (phone and tablet) all in one device. That said, the pricing is ridiculous and isn’t a price I’d be prepared to pay. For me, the ‘Plus’ sized phones work really well as a phone but are no use as a browsing tablet. I think I’d struggle to go back to a smaller phone and if it was twice as thick then I’d probably think twice about popping it into my pocket whenever I go out, thus defeating the object of the phone!
Interesting times ahead though.

TimP
19th April 2019, 07:55 AM
Or be an Apple fanatic!

and thatís a bad thing how?

Iím more than happy with my walled garden, got sick of MS and tired of waiting for the Linux bandwagon to actually get rolling (always the bridesmaid as they say)
Iím happy (ish!) to pay Apple prices in the same way others are happy to pay Audi, BMW, Lexus et al prices.
Itíd be a boring old world if we all drove the same car, used the same computers and watched the same shite TV!

Phill D
19th April 2019, 08:43 AM
It looks like many of the problems were because reviewers peeled off the protective sheet that wasn't supposed to be peeled off. Seems like the users need some better support documents! It's probably a reasonable idea if it does actually work. Time will tell I guess but it certainly is very expensive.

wornish
19th April 2019, 08:50 AM
When you think that an Apple iPad mini which has a bigger screen costs £399 then I really don't see how Samsung can justify the price. I have a feeling this might develop into another disaster for them as the Galaxy Note 7 did.

Otto
19th April 2019, 08:56 AM
It looks like many of the problems were because reviewers peeled off the protective sheet that wasn't supposed to be peeled off. Seems like the users need some better support documents!

If the documentation is as good as it was for my Samsung WAP phone then it's no surprise, I never found out how to use several of its functions because they were undocumented in the manual and the only info on the Samsung web site was a pdf of the manual!

I certainly wouldn't pay that sort of money for a phone. I use Apple but I buy secondhand! Apple's documentation is superb but given the complexity of the devices it needs to be.

Internaut
20th April 2019, 09:36 PM
If the documentation is as good as it was for my Samsung WAP phone then it's no surprise, I never found out how to use several of its functions because they were undocumented in the manual and the only info on the Samsung web site was a pdf of the manual!

I certainly wouldn't pay that sort of money for a phone. I use Apple but I buy secondhand! Apple's documentation is superb but given the complexity of the devices it needs to be.

WAP? Now youíre making me feel old!

OM USer
20th April 2019, 09:52 PM
My Ericsson T10 and T32 phones both had WAP. Lovely phones.

Internaut
20th April 2019, 10:26 PM
My Ericsson T10 and T32 phones both had WAP. Lovely phones.

My, erm, T68 (I think) had Tetris and let me do the whole Bluetooth tethering mobile thing. One of the nicest phones I ever owned.

wornish
24th April 2019, 07:49 AM
Update. Samsung has decided to take all the review units back and delayed the release date of the Galaxy Fold indefinitely.

https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2019/04/samsung-taking-galaxy-fold-review-units-back/